U.S. Politics

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: U.S. Politics

Post by Doodoo » September 2, 2023, 1:47 pm

" our descendants will be freely discussing and some openly dismissing the enduring culture of "reach rounds and backhanders"
How will you know Tam? Because you wont be here either

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 2, 2023, 1:57 pm

Doodoo wrote:
September 2, 2023, 1:47 pm
" our descendants will be freely discussing and some openly dismissing the enduring culture of "reach rounds and backhanders"
How will you know Tam? Because you wont be here either
No, no I won't be. But thanks for that, Captain Obfuscate.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 2, 2023, 2:15 pm

The US Budget planning/release etc is a total joke.

In the late 80's, under the economic dyslectic, Ronald Reagan, the planning rules changed. At that time he appeared in the Rose Garden boasting about the new procedures. The government did not have to plan surplus/defecits based on anything other than their 'projected' figures. So if you wanted to spend more on 'Star Wars' or any such nonsense that was going to create a massive deficit, you simply 'projected' greater revenue and the proposed budget was 'balanced'.

It was utter nonsense. The deficit increased 142% under Reagan, after the Libyan air strike, the economy was beaten to a pulp. Obama also increased the deficit by a large extent, but he did inherit the 2008 financial crisis engineered by Reagan, both the Bush's and Clinton.

Budget planning in the US is based on bulldust.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 2, 2023, 8:26 pm

Whistler wrote:
September 2, 2023, 2:15 pm

In the late 80's, under the economic dyslectic, the planning rules changed. At that time he appeared in the Rose Garden boasting about the new procedures. The government did not have to plan surplus/defecits based on anything other than their 'projected' figures. So if you wanted to spend more on 'Star Wars' or any such nonsense that was going to create a massive deficit, you simply 'projected' greater revenue and the proposed budget was 'balanced'.
Astonishing, isn't it - and a pointer to the political naivety of the conservative US voter (cue Khun Paul :D )

Reagan, as a President, had more flaws than the Burj Khalifa - but is still constantly, and wrongly, quoted as some sort of economic messiah.

SeekingSakYant
udonmap.com

Post by SeekingSakYant » September 5, 2023, 5:38 pm

Trickle Down Economics is a scam foisted off onto poor Republicans who consistently vote against there own interests out of sheer ignorance. Culture War issues cloud the minds of the uninformed poor. Elitist p.o.s. liberals would rather abandon us Socially Conservative Democrats than let us in the Tent for the sake of feeling like they're "showing us how to be Woke". I call bull-puky. We have a saying in Missouri, don't piss down my back and try to tell me it's raining. Rich folks have poor dumb bastards bent over a barrell over taxes and feed em the lie that they too can be millionaires if they just work hard enough and Vote against those evil ol' taxes that maintain their roads and schools and etc etc.....
My father raised my sister and I in the 80's by himself and worked his ass off, Ronald Regan made sure we got $8 a month in Food Stamps...good for a couple packets of hot dogs and buns, ---- Regan and his mutation of the Republican Party. Republicans used to Vote for HIGHER taxes to balance the budget, and Democrats wanted to cut taxes...goes to show the Rich will always rot a party from the inside out. New Third Way Democrats are merely Rich peoples bitches with Social Liberalism. All the hard work of the reformers of the Gilded Age is being decimated by both sides little by little and ignorant people are more worried about abortions and statues in front of town halls. Sad they don't realize it's hard to argue about the social aspects of the America society when we're all hungry and indebted....meh, it was a good experiment, but i personally look forward to seeing the Cheeto back in Office, at least we wont have the burden of having to vote ever again after 2024
"To care for him who shall have borne the Battle, and for his Widow, and his Orphan." -A.Lincoln

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” -Mark Twain

Cambodia is the South East Asian equivalent of Alabama and Louisiana and their cousin humpin Mississippi states of Merica

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 5, 2023, 9:13 pm

SeekingSakYant wrote:
September 5, 2023, 5:38 pm
Trickle Down Economics is a scam foisted off onto poor Republicans who consistently vote against there own interests out of sheer ignorance. Culture War issues cloud the minds of the uninformed poor. Elitist p.o.s. liberals would rather abandon us Socially Conservative Democrats than let us in the Tent for the sake of feeling like they're "showing us how to be Woke". I call bull-puky. We have a saying in Missouri, don't piss down my back and try to tell me it's raining. Rich folks have poor dumb bastards bent over a barrell over taxes and feed em the lie that they too can be millionaires if they just work hard enough and Vote against those evil ol' taxes that maintain their roads and schools and etc etc.....
My father raised my sister and I in the 80's by himself and worked his ass off, Ronald Regan made sure we got $8 a month in Food Stamps...good for a couple packets of hot dogs and buns, **** Regan and his mutation of the Republican Party. Republicans used to Vote for HIGHER taxes to balance the budget, and Democrats wanted to cut taxes...goes to show the Rich will always rot a party from the inside out. New Third Way Democrats are merely Rich peoples bitches with Social Liberalism. All the hard work of the reformers of the Gilded Age is being decimated by both sides little by little and ignorant people are more worried about abortions and statues in front of town halls. Sad they don't realize it's hard to argue about the social aspects of the America society when we're all hungry and indebted....meh, it was a good experiment, but i personally look forward to seeing the Cheeto back in Office, at least we wont have the burden of having to vote ever again after 2024
That was a much needed blast of fresh air.

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » September 5, 2023, 10:29 pm

I am reading here that the Republicans raised taxes but the literature I am reading says the opposite.
"Ronald Reagan made tax cuts the centerpiece of his 1980 campaign for the presidency. And after winning the election, he made good on his promise. "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/taxnotes/2 ... b1a6375d14

Can some one shed some light on this?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 5, 2023, 11:38 pm

Doodoo wrote:
September 5, 2023, 10:29 pm
I am reading here that the Republicans raised taxes but the literature I am reading says the opposite.
"Ronald Reagan made tax cuts the centerpiece of his 1980 campaign for the presidency. And after winning the election, he made good on his promise. "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/taxnotes/2 ... b1a6375d14

Can some one shed some light on this?
In the article you cited:

"Now it has to be said that the 1981 tax cut didn’t remain quite so big; almost immediately after Reagan signed the bill into law, his economic advisers started looking for ways to unravel it. Worried by grim deficit forecasts, they unveiled a collection of “revenue enhancements” designed to slow the river of red ink flowing from the treasury. ...

So the 1981 tax cut started big . . . and then got smaller. But all that initial bigness mattered, establishing Reagan’s bona fides as a tax reformer — and as someone who would deliver on his promises. In the short term, that mattered for U.S. electoral politics."

U.S. electoral politics again. Or to quote George H.W. Bush, "...read my lips, no new taxes."
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » September 6, 2023, 6:14 am

Damn they aint foolin around

" Former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio was sentenced Tuesday to 22 years in prison for orchestrating a failed plot to keep Donald Trump in power after the Republican lost the 2020 election, capping the case with the stiffest punishment that has been handed down yet for the U.S. Capitol attack."

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » September 6, 2023, 6:23 pm

question came up of why isnt there an upper age limit for Politicians
I just watched an interview and up came a possible answer. The Founders in 1786 didnt think they needed one as the average age was at that time only 35 years old.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 6, 2023, 7:44 pm

Doodoo wrote:
September 6, 2023, 6:23 pm
question came up of why isnt there an upper age limit for Politicians
I just watched an interview and up came a possible answer. The Founders in 1786 didnt think they needed one as the average age was at that time only 35 years old.
An assumption? Remember also, US formed in 1770, Ben Franklin was in his mid 60's, lived till he was in his late 80's, and George Washington in his late 50's lived to be 67. Like today's legislatures they were already close to a sunset age of 70 that some are proposing. Only 2 US presidents have been over the age of 70 when assuming office, Trump & Biden. Life expectancy in the US is more than double that of 1770.

Is this a solution looking for a problem?

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » September 6, 2023, 7:45 pm

The answer to the US going bankrupt is to raise taxes, BUT, with the higher taxes, there needs to be a balanced budget. Without a balanced budget the politicians would just piss away the extra money raised. Government is simply TOO big and is quickly leaning towards a welfare country. Covid payments and cancelling student debt are good examples of this trend.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » September 6, 2023, 8:06 pm

Pikolim
udonmap.com

Post by Pikolim » June 4, 2024, 4:41 pm

Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm curious who you think will win the upcoming elections. Given that Trump is currently convicted, I believe his chances of winning are slim.
However, there's always the possibility of an appeal. This law firm's site mentions that a person could appeal if there are legal errors or procedural issues during the trial. And I think Trump and his legal team will use this. So, who knows, maybe Trump will eventually win it.
Last edited by Pikolim on June 6, 2024, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 4, 2024, 6:09 pm

Pikolim
as for your question of who will win the Presidency in 2024
Trump ?
Biden ?
Dont give a rats ass

The media, general discussion for how many years now, 4, 8, 16, ... have been covering USA Politics and I really dont care anymore. It wont make any difference who wins.
The US is in a mess Politically and Socially and just burns through cash thinking this will solve all problems

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2024, 3:57 am

Doodoo wrote:
June 4, 2024, 6:09 pm
Pikolim
as for your question of who will win the Presidency in 2024
Trump ?
Biden ?
Dont give a rats ass

The media, general discussion for how many years now, 4, 8, 16, ... have been covering USA Politics and I really dont care anymore. It wont make any difference who wins.
The US is in a mess Politically and Socially and just burns through cash thinking this will solve all problems
Thanks for sharing.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “U.S. Politics”