Car prices Thailand

General Udon Thani topics only!
Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Car prices Thailand

Post by Doodoo » May 8, 2024, 6:07 am

Tam

Please explain what is meant by "Thailand has a mature , pre-owned car market" in your mind.

Isaanfarang
udonmap.com

Post by Isaanfarang » May 8, 2024, 11:20 am

2 weeks ago a lady, friend of my wife, asked me to check a Honda City Basic Edition she has seen at a car dealer along Nong Khai highway. Car was made year 2022 and should cost 550.000 Baht. I looked around the car. Obviously repainted front and back, but a good job. Mystery was that the tires on the car have been maid year 2019. Seller couldn’t explain that and so I didn’t give my advice to buy this car.
We drove to Honda Udonthani and there she ordered a new Honda City in best edition with a lot of benefits for 750.000 Baht. In this case the new car was a much better decision.

If someone is looking for a CHEAP car, I might be able to give them some advice. Last year, when we were looking for a cheap car to take the dogs to the vet, we found a nice Nissan Tiida in Bangkok, sold by a dealer who does his business at home. His wife explained to my wife that they mostly sell cars under 100.000 baht and only make a small profit, but cars sell quickly. He finds all of his customers on Facebook and I still watch him sell cars every week. Within a year we only replaced a trunk lock for 250 baht. If you use Facebook you might find the guy here:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011763854166
Don't worry, they do all the recommended paperwork and also help to register the new owner in Bangkok. Tank of my Tiida was still ¾ full when we got it, very unusual.

I just remember after first contact with his wife she told they can send the car everywhere in Thailand for 8.000 Baht but I decided to see the car first. After 500 meter I knew the car was good (I worked in a car garage for years).

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 8, 2024, 2:36 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 8, 2024, 6:07 am
Tam

Please explain what is meant by "Thailand has a mature , pre-owned car market" in your mind.
Thailand
/ˈtaɪˌlænd/
proper noun
or formerly Siam /saɪˈæm/
1. country in Asia

ma·ture
/məˈCHər,məˈCHo͝or,məˈto͝or/
adjective
1. fully developed

pre-owned
/ˌprēˈōnd/
adjective
Something that is has been owned by someone else and is now for sale.

car
/kär/
noun
1. a four-wheeled road vehicle that is powered by an engine and is able to carry a small number of people.

market
ˈmär-kət
noun
often attributive
1: a meeting together of people for the purpose of trade by private purchase
and sale and usually not by auction
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 8, 2024, 2:51 pm

I have purchased four new vehicles and three second hand vehicles. Two of the second hand vehicles were fine but the most expensive one was a TRUE lemon. It belonged to a guy who owed me some money and he offered to sell me his fairly new 4X4 Toyota. He was a fussy type of guy so I made the mistake that the truck was a good one. It had all sorts of problems, it leaked oil and had many electrical problems. The dashboard seemed to always have red lights. Air bag warnings, Oil light flashing and the anti lock brake system.The radiator even blew up. The oil pressure warning was scary but it turned out to be the sensor. I traded it in on a new Ford Focus and took a beating on the price. I do feel sorry for anyone who bought that lemon. No way would I have sold it to a person. I let the Ford dealer deal with the problems. Other than the rapid depreciation from new, vehicles hold their value quite well. I will never buy a second hand vehicle again. Buy a new vehicle and keep it a long time is my way to go. I still have the first new one I bought. It is a 2004 Nissan pickup.My wife uses it for the farm.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » May 8, 2024, 4:05 pm

From my experience NEW car prices in Thailand are inflated:-
In 2002 I bought a new Isuzu DMax, Extended Cab, 3.0 Turbo, Automatic (still going fine!) 663000 Baht = AUD$27,200 cash at the time. Long story but on a subsequent trip to Australia I went into a GMH dealership to buy a owners handbook in English, they had a "badged" Holden Rodeo (made in Thailand) on the floor with the same specs as mine along with seat belts in the back and Aust emission requirements - AUD $23,500.

Go figure.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 8, 2024, 8:11 pm

I bought my Isuzu V Cross 4X4 about four years ago. It is the top of of the line with GPS built in. I had to order it because of the color I wanted and I wanted a manual transmission. It was delivered as promised and cost me 866,000 baht out,the door with a years of first class insurance. The 3.0 liter engine has power to spare and I get 15 kilometers per liter of diesel fuel. It has more power and better fuel economy than my wife's 1.5 liter Ford Ecosport.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » May 11, 2024, 7:33 pm

Here is the complete extensive scheme for the excise tax rate on various vehicles in Thailand. The excise tax is included in the purchase price of new vehicles. This is copied the from the Thailand Board of Investment.
https://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=ta ... agreements
Automobiles
Passenger car

With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,000 cc and CO2 emission not exceeding 150 g/km (2)
25%

With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,000 cc and CO2 emission exceeding 150 g/km but not exceeding 200 g/km
30%

With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,000 cc and CO2 emission exceeding 200 g/km
35%

With cylindrical volume exceeding 3,000 cc
40%

Pick-up passenger vehicle (PPV)

With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,250 cc and CO2 emission not exceeding 200 g/km
20%

With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,250 cc and CO2 emission exceeding 200 g/km
25%

With cylindrical volume exceeding 3,250 cc
40%

Pick-up passenger vehicle (PPV) with Hybrid Electric Vehicle

With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,250 cc and CO2 emission not exceeding 175 g/km
18%

Passenger car (that is made from a pick-up truck or chassis with the windshield of a pick-up truck or modified from a pick-up truck)

Manufactured or modified by industrial entrepreneurs with cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,250 cc
2.5%

Manufactured or modified by industrial entrepreneurs with cylindrical volume exceeding 3,250 cc
40%

Passenger car or public transport vehicle with and seating not exceeding 10 seats
Passenger car or public transport vehicle with seating not exceeding 10 seats used as an ambulance of a government agency, hospital or charitable organization as per terms and conditions and numbers specified by the Ministry of Finance
Exempted

Eco Car with seating not exceeding 10 seats

- Hybrid electric vehicle

With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,000 cc and CO2 emission not exceeding 100 g/km
8%

With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,000 cc and CO2 emission exceeding 100 g/km but not exceeding 150 g/km
16%

With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,000 cc and CO2 emission exceeding 150 g/km but not exceeding 200 g/km
21%

With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,000 cc and CO2 emission exceeding 200 g/km
26%

40%

Electric powered vehicle
8%

Fuel cell powered vehicle
8%

- Economy car meeting international standards (From 1 October, 2009 onwards)

Gasoline engine with cylindrical volume not exceeding 1,300 cc
14%

Diesel engine with cylindrical volume not exceeding 1,400 cc
14%

- Passenger car or public transport vehicle with seating not exceeding 10 seats using alternative energy with cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,000 cc as specified by the Ministry of Finance
- Using no less than 85% ethanol mix with gasoline available generally petrol stations
With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,000 cc and CO2 emission not exceeding 100 g/km
4%

With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,000 cc and CO2 emission exceeding 150 g/km
8%

With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,000 cc and CO2 emission exceeding 200 g/km but not exceeding 200 g/km 
10.5%

With cylindrical volume exceeding 3,000 cc and CO 2 emission exceeding 200 g/km
13%

- Being capable of operating on natural gas

With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,000 cc and CO2 emission not exceeding 150 g/km
20%

With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,000 cc and CO2 emission exceeding 150 g/km but not exceeding 200 g/km
25%

With cylindrical volume not exceeding 3,000 cc and CO2 emission exceeding 200 g/km
30%

40%

Boat

Yacht and boat used for leisure purpose
Exempted

Motorcycles

Electric motorcycles
1%

CO2 emission not exceeding 50 g/km
3%

CO2 emission exceeding 90 g/km but not exceeding 90 g/km
5%

CO2 emission exceeding 90 g/km but not exceeding 130 g/km
9%

CO2 emission exceeding 130 g/km
18%

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 11, 2024, 7:39 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
May 8, 2024, 4:05 pm
From my experience NEW car prices in Thailand are inflated:-
In 2002 I bought a new Isuzu DMax, Extended Cab, 3.0 Turbo, Automatic (still going fine!) 663000 Baht = AUD$27,200 cash at the time. Long story but on a subsequent trip to Australia I went into a GMH dealership to buy a owners handbook in English, they had a "badged" Holden Rodeo (made in Thailand) on the floor with the same specs as mine along with seat belts in the back and Aust emission requirements - AUD $23,500.

Go figure.
Thailand car manufacturing and assembly has changed radically in the past 22 years. In 1984, my mate's new Holden Calais cost about a million baht. Eight years ago, he bought a new Suzuki Swift for 380,000 baht.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 11, 2024, 7:42 pm

UdonExpat wrote:
May 11, 2024, 7:33 pm
Here is the complete extensive scheme for the excise tax rate on various vehicles in Thailand.
Boat

Yacht and boat used for leisure purpose
Exempted
That's it for me. I'm buying a yacht.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » May 12, 2024, 7:07 am

tamada wrote:
May 11, 2024, 7:39 pm

Thailand car manufacturing and assembly has changed radically in the past 22 years. In 1984, my mate's new Holden Calais cost about a million baht. Eight years ago, he bought a new Suzuki Swift for 380,000 baht.
How can you compare a Holden Calais (top of the Holden range, normally V8 powered) with a Suzuki "anything"?

My point is the Holden Rodeo was built on the same assembly line as the DMax with slight modifications to meet Australian codes and a different badge. Body, engine train, cab etc. were identical. Why was it some AUD$4,000 (15%) cheaper, on the road, when one considers shipping, import duties, etc. into Australia?
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 12, 2024, 9:15 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
May 12, 2024, 7:07 am
tamada wrote:
May 11, 2024, 7:39 pm

How can you compare a Holden Calais (top of the Holden range, normally V8 powered) with a Suzuki "anything"?

My point is the Holden Rodeo was built on the same assembly line as the DMax with slight modifications to meet Australian codes and a different badge. Body, engine train, cab etc. were identical. Why was it some AUD$4,000 (15%) cheaper, on the road, when one considers shipping, import duties, etc. into Australia?
It wasn't a comparison of vehicle size or perceived market value. It was a price comparison from about 40 years ago, so is a 20 year-old price comparison any more relevant.

Maybe you should ask whoever was Australia's Trade Minister in 2002? Or the Manager of GM Holden? How about the declining (now zero) Australian vehicle assembly industry at the time versus Thailand's evolution from CKD "kit car" assembly to a regional epicenter of car production for export? Then there's the prevailing exchange rates from 20 (and 40) years ago. Government subsidies anyone? Wasn't there a tax break on two-door pickup trucks here? Didn't the Thai government introduce some incentive for first-time car buyers?

The new Ford Ranger V6 wont give you much change from AUD62k in Australia. The same truck from the same factory is about THB1.519m on the road here.

That's a far more relevant comparison.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 12, 2024, 12:42 pm

3% difference in sales tax between Thailand and Australia. Not enough to explain price differences, does Thailand provide subsidies for exports.

Australian built some excellent cars in past years, but for a country of only 20 odd million and high wages, building cars in the country was not viable. There is still a healthy automotive components industry, things like exhaust systems, car seats etc are doing well.

Australia's significant legacy to the automotive industry is the Ute described by Henry Ford as a kangaroo chaser.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-27/ ... /100855458

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 12, 2024, 3:31 pm

Whistler wrote:
May 12, 2024, 12:42 pm
3% difference in sales tax between Thailand and Australia. Not enough to explain price differences, does Thailand provide subsidies for exports.

Australian built some excellent cars in past years, but for a country of only 20 odd million and high wages, building cars in the country was not viable. There is still a healthy automotive components industry, things like exhaust systems, car seats etc are doing well.

Australia's significant legacy to the automotive industry is the Ute described by Henry Ford as a kangaroo chaser.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-27/ ... /100855458
What price differences
Screenshot_20240512-152926~2.png
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”