RTP - Body Cameras

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
User avatar
Khun Paul
udonmap.com
Posts: 7767
Joined: September 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: RTP - Body Cameras

Post by Khun Paul » April 1, 2024, 9:29 am

Udon Map wrote:
April 1, 2024, 7:33 am
Khun Paul wrote:
April 1, 2024, 7:00 am
Unless you have actually served in the Police Service, the understanding of why Body Cams are required is flawed depending on which report etc you read.
No, people who have not served as police officers actually do have the capacity to understand why they are required and beneficial to both the public and the officer.
Khun Paul wrote:
April 1, 2024, 7:00 am
Here as interaction is at best confrontational at stop checks . . . .
I've been stopped many times, both in the city (Udon and Bangkok) and on the highway. It never turned confrontational.
Khun Paul wrote:
April 1, 2024, 7:00 am
So in summing up Bodycams here, would be nice but as wheels here turn slowly if at all, not in my perceived lifetime.
All that said, I agree that we won't see bodycams anytime soon here, and when we do, I have no doubt that video will be released selectively, only after careful review by the authorities.
Stop checks whether or not you have e3xperienced problems are by their very nature confrontational. In reality you have no wish to be stopped and they do. your blood pressure rises, what if they ask for something I have forgotten, can they smell the glass of wine I drank 3 hours ago. what did I do wrong , all in all anyone stopped by the police for any reason at anytime it will almost immediately unless the officer is good become confrontational as here more so in English speaking countries mis-understanding s normally the problem



User avatar
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com
Posts: 4919
Joined: February 13, 2006, 2:02 am
Location: Udon Thani Thailand

Re: RTP - Body Cameras

Post by FrazeeDK » April 1, 2024, 11:07 am

I've been stopped by both the regular police and highway patrol here. The HP for the usual nonsense, "you were driving in the passing lane too long..." and a couple of regular checkpoints, one for running a "yellow light" and a few just to check my license. Every time, to include the HP that were obviously trying to shake me down, they came to my window, saluted, and then told me exactly why I was stopped.. The "in the passing lane" stops I just told them, no I wasn't (and indeed I had not stayed in the lane any longer than it took me to overtake other cars) and they waved me on. The license checks were pleasant and elicited a few jokes when I spoke some Issan to them. The Yellow light, was well, in the words of the cop "you didn't do it on purpose" but still cost me 200 baht. The Thai guy behind me that had barrelled through the actual Red light paid 500.
Dave

User avatar
Udon Map
Admin
Posts: 2858
Joined: July 31, 2013, 7:57 pm

Re: RTP - Body Cameras

Post by Udon Map » April 1, 2024, 12:53 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
April 1, 2024, 11:07 am
The license checks were pleasant and elicited a few jokes when I spoke some Issan to them. The Yellow light, was well, in the words of the cop "you didn't do it on purpose" but still cost me 200 baht.
When I was stopped in Bangkok, I had, indeed, done something wrong. I had driven southbound on Sukhumvit where it passes under the Chalerm Maha Nakorn highway, no cars allowed, only busses. Fortunately, I had put my cash in my suitcase except for 500 baht in my pocket. When RTP stopped me, he explained my violation and said that I could pay 1,500 or he would take my license and I could pick it up when I paid the next day at Lumpini Police station. I couldn't wait because I was leaving Bangkok that day, so I emptied my pockets and showed him that I only had 500 baht. "That's OK" he said with a smile, accepted it, and returned my license (no paperwork involved). His demeanor throughout was pleasant, friendly, even.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 17293
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: Down two...then left

Re: RTP - Body Cameras

Post by tamada » April 1, 2024, 9:56 pm

Probably the same pillock that told me pick-up trucks were forbidden from entering the elevated at the underpass toll gates where Ploenchit meets Sukhumvit and they can only enter at the Petchaburi gates. Similarly time pressured with a flight to catch and unwilling to cough up a ridiculous "spot fine", I assume that the expired Texas DL I surrendered is gathering dust in a drawer at some police substation.

They're all thick, doltish highwaymen regardless if they're smiling while sharing their "love" for Isaan. Nary a redeeming bone in their bodies so stop apologising for these oxygen wasters.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

User avatar
Udon Map
Admin
Posts: 2858
Joined: July 31, 2013, 7:57 pm

Re: RTP - Body Cameras

Post by Udon Map » April 2, 2024, 9:04 am

tamada wrote:
April 1, 2024, 9:56 pm
I assume that the expired Texas DL I surrendered is gathering dust in a drawer at some police substation.
Well played! So they accept U.S. drivers licenses? I have two Massachusetts licenses, got the duplicate when I misplaced the original, which I subsequently found. Happy to relinquish one of these rather than my Thai license, if they'll take it.

User avatar
Khun Paul
udonmap.com
Posts: 7767
Joined: September 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: RTP - Body Cameras

Post by Khun Paul » April 2, 2024, 9:34 am

tamada wrote:
April 1, 2024, 9:56 pm
Probably the same pillock that told me pick-up trucks were forbidden from entering the elevated at the underpass toll gates where Ploenchit meets Sukhumvit and they can only enter at the Petchaburi gates. Similarly time pressured with a flight to catch and unwilling to cough up a ridiculous "spot fine", I assume that the expired Texas DL I surrendered is gathering dust in a drawer at some police substation.

They're all thick, doltish highwaymen regardless if they're smiling while sharing their "love" for Isaan. Nary a redeeming bone in their bodies so stop apologising for these oxygen wasters.
That is the problems these days everyone and his sainted aunt is an expert. More like ex-spurt a scenario to which we all belong to !!

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 17293
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: Down two...then left

Re: RTP - Body Cameras

Post by tamada » April 2, 2024, 9:36 am

Udon Map wrote:
April 2, 2024, 9:04 am
tamada wrote:
April 1, 2024, 9:56 pm
I assume that the expired Texas DL I surrendered is gathering dust in a drawer at some police substation.
Well played! So they accept U.S. drivers licenses? I have two Massachusetts licenses, got the duplicate when I misplaced the original, which I subsequently found. Happy to relinquish one of these rather than my Thai license, if they'll take it.
He did for me. Just play the flustered foreign tourist, no speak Thai, waii like noob and watch the silly bugger gettin' smaller in your rear-view mirror.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 4425
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Re: RTP - Body Cameras

Post by Barney » April 2, 2024, 10:37 am

tamada wrote:
April 2, 2024, 9:36 am
Just play the flustered foreign tourist, no speak Thai, waii like noob and watch the silly bugger gettin' smaller in your rear-view mirror.
While he downloads his body cam footage of the conversation.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 17293
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: Down two...then left

Re: RTP - Body Cameras

Post by tamada » April 2, 2024, 11:04 am

tamada wrote:
April 2, 2024, 9:36 am
Just play the flustered foreign tourist, no speak Thai, waii like noob and watch the silly bugger gettin' smaller in your rear-view mirror.
Barney wrote:
April 2, 2024, 10:37 am
While he downloads his body cam footage of the conversation.
...and then?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com
Posts: 2987
Joined: January 14, 2007, 10:35 am
Location: Nong Hin, Loei

Re: RTP - Body Cameras

Post by glalt » April 2, 2024, 12:07 pm

I have had more good experiences with the Thai police than bad. One example was that I was driving in a bus lane while heading for a dinner cruise on a boat that happened to be on the other side of the big river. A policeman on a motorcycle pulled me over. Fortunately he spoke decent English. My navigator girlfriend told him that she always took this road. He told her that I was not driving a bus, grinned at me and told me to follow him. He led the way all the way to the bridge and pointed the way for me to go. I would have happily tipped him but he waved and just kept going.

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 4425
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Re: RTP - Body Cameras

Post by Barney » April 2, 2024, 1:33 pm

tamada wrote:
April 2, 2024, 11:04 am
tamada wrote:
April 2, 2024, 9:36 am
Just play the flustered foreign tourist, no speak Thai, waii like noob and watch the silly bugger gettin' smaller in your rear-view mirror.
Barney wrote:
April 2, 2024, 10:37 am
While he downloads his body cam footage of the conversation.
...and then?
Just staying on topic.

But, as a conspiracy theory, if the whole RTP digital body cam use gains traction with traffic infractions or other perceived criminal acts who knows what they will do with the footage.

Post Reply

Return to “Open Forum”