What's up with the Macaques?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

What's up with the Macaques?

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 29, 2024, 4:37 pm

I just watched a documentary on the macaque monkey trade in Cambodia. Many are sold to research labs in the U.S.A. and China. About 50% die in transit before they reach their destination. One Cambodian government official who works for the Animal Protection Ministry in Cambodia was arrested in the U.S. for his role in the trade. He was acquitted in his trial in Miami, Florida.

https://www.peta.org/blog/cambodian-mon ... ing-trial/
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... ed-monkeys

Now we read about, and see on the news, that the Thai Government is going to remove the numerous macaques from central Lopburi to be removed to a forest reserve. Interesting. Those monkeys have been occupying central Lopburi for at least 45 years when I first saw them there.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/ea ... f-lop-buri

Another article says the monkeys will be returned to Lopburi after health checks.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... onkey-unit

A wat in Loei seems to have lost their monkey population.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... m-a-temple

The documentary is here, Inside Cambodia's booming research monkey trade - YouTube

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

rick
udonmap.com

Re: What's up with the Macaques?

Post by rick » March 31, 2024, 7:26 pm

To many people are feeding the monkeys and they are becoming increasingly aggressive when stealing food.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 31, 2024, 8:07 pm

That's plausible, but that's happened for decades. Furthermore, one wonders why one report in the Bangkok Post indicates that the monkeys will be returned to Lopburi after a health check.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 31, 2024, 8:43 pm

When I first arrived in LOS in the early part of the century, driving through the middle of Kumphawapi on the way south, the main street around the Monkey Park was thick with ling - running along the footpaths, climbing along the power lines, and congregating in the concrete "park". You generally had to slow down for them.

I have not seen one monkey in probably my last 3 or 4 drives through that area in the course of the last 6 months.

I think we have a couple of Kumphawapi residents on the Map - perhaps they could comment.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 31, 2024, 10:03 pm

jackspratt wrote:
March 31, 2024, 8:43 pm
When I first arrived in LOS in the early part of the century, driving through the middle of Kumphawapi on the way south, the main street around the Monkey Park was thick with ling - running along the footpaths, climbing along the power lines, and congregating in the concrete "park". You generally had to slow down for them.

I have not seen one monkey in probably my last 3 or 4 drives through that area in the course of the last 6 months.

I think we have a couple of Kumphawapi residents on the Map - perhaps they could comment.
Maybe they moved to Lopburi? I mean what's to keep a ling in Kumphawapi these days? It's arguably worse there than in Nong Wua So.

Or Ban Dung even.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » April 1, 2024, 10:13 am

I moved out of Kumphawapi 6 years ago. We used to have a couple of m/c shops there and the monkeys were a constant menace toppling bikes over, being aggressive to customers etc. I, personally, suffered one bite which needed hospital treatment.

A few months back, on a drive north from KK, I took a detour to show a friend the monkeys and, on the streets where they previously roamed, there were none.

No idea what's happened but, I'm guessing the local humans had had enough of them.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 1, 2024, 10:48 am

samster wrote:
April 1, 2024, 10:13 am
I moved out of Kumphawapi 6 years ago. We used to have a couple of m/c shops there and the monkeys were a constant menace toppling bikes over, being aggressive to customers etc. I, personally, suffered one bite which needed hospital treatment.

A few months back, on a drive north from KK, I took a detour to show a friend the monkeys and, on the streets where they previously roamed, there were none.

No idea what's happened but, I'm guessing the local humans had had enough of them.
Hurry and hop over to Lop Buri to see them before they have all been re-located. A special monkey police unit has been formed. They are using slingshots to deal with the pesky primates.

I do not envy you getting bitten by a monkey. Were you wearing a Leeds shirt?

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » April 1, 2024, 11:00 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
April 1, 2024, 10:48 am
samster wrote:
April 1, 2024, 10:13 am

Hurry and hop over to Lop Buri to see them before they have all been re-located. A special monkey police unit has been formed. They are using slingshots to deal with the pesky primates.

I do not envy you getting bitten by a monkey. Were you wearing a Leeds shirt?

Our mechanics used to have slingshots and air rifles to deal with them. The romance of seeing a monkey in the "wild" quickly disappears when you live with them.

I wasnt wearing a Leeds shirt thank goodness. The shame of someone in a Leeds shirt blubbing through a course of rabies shots would have haunted me for life.

What I will never forget about the bite is the look of shock on the face of one of the locals as my sandal caught him in the chest as I was trying to shake the little blighter off my foot.

Return to “Open Forum”