United Airlines vs American

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Post Reply
User avatar
jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 16144
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

United Airlines vs American

Post by jackspratt » March 27, 2024, 10:29 pm

For those who have flown with both from Thailand to the US, which airline offers the better product in Economy and/or Premium Economy.

Look forward to your responses.



Kenr6583
udonmap.com
Posts: 1990
Joined: July 13, 2019, 2:15 pm

Re: United Airlines vs American

Post by Kenr6583 » March 28, 2024, 2:04 am

To be honest, they both suck equally. Where are you flying in to?

User avatar
jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 16144
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: United Airlines vs American

Post by jackspratt » March 28, 2024, 7:47 am

At the moment, plan is into San Francisco/LAX, and out from Boston/New York.

User avatar
Udon Map
Admin
Posts: 2858
Joined: July 31, 2013, 7:57 pm

Re: United Airlines vs American

Post by Udon Map » March 28, 2024, 9:15 am

jackspratt wrote:
March 27, 2024, 10:29 pm
For those who have flown with both from Thailand to the US, which airline offers the better product in Economy and/or Premium Economy.
Is cost a factor?

Kenr6583
udonmap.com
Posts: 1990
Joined: July 13, 2019, 2:15 pm

Re: United Airlines vs American

Post by Kenr6583 » March 28, 2024, 9:40 am

Flying in/out of U.S., Singapore or Eva.

Alaska Airlines flying from West Coast to East Coast.

User avatar
jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 16144
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: United Airlines vs American

Post by jackspratt » March 28, 2024, 12:05 pm

Udon Map wrote:
March 28, 2024, 9:15 am
jackspratt wrote:
March 27, 2024, 10:29 pm
For those who have flown with both from Thailand to the US, which airline offers the better product in Economy and/or Premium Economy.
Is cost a factor?
A trade off between cost and convenience. For example, I am willing to pay a bit more for quicker transit times, but am not interested in flights which add multiple hours.

Japan Airlines had a very good deal, with direct flights (via Toyko) for about 35k in economy. Stupidly, I procrastinated, and that price has now gone up by 9k. ](*,)

I flew premium economy with JAL last trip - a couple of years ago - and didn't think it was worth the increased cost. I am more likely this time to book economy, and just pay for the better leg-room seats.
Last edited by jackspratt on March 28, 2024, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 16144
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: United Airlines vs American

Post by jackspratt » March 28, 2024, 12:11 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
March 28, 2024, 9:40 am
Flying in/out of U.S., Singapore or Eva.

Alaska Airlines flying from West Coast to East Coast.
Singapore Airlines' current prices are crazy. So even though they are my preferred airline when flying to Oz, they are off the list for this trip.

EVA is certainly on the list.

For internal, last time I flew with JetBlue and was very impressed with them. The 3 hour time difference when flying east is a bugger, so a reasonably early flight out of SFO will be required, and I will need to look at all options.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com
Posts: 1990
Joined: July 13, 2019, 2:15 pm

Re: United Airlines vs American

Post by Kenr6583 » March 28, 2024, 12:19 pm

Are you just transiting through the West coast?

User avatar
jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 16144
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: United Airlines vs American

Post by jackspratt » March 28, 2024, 1:45 pm

No. About 15 days on the west coast, and 5 in Boston.

Whistler
udonmap.com
Posts: 5591
Joined: June 15, 2019, 8:24 pm

Re: United Airlines vs American

Post by Whistler » March 28, 2024, 2:23 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
March 28, 2024, 9:40 am
Flying in/out of U.S., Singapore or Eva.

Alaska Airlines flying from West Coast to East Coast.
Alaska Airlines is a breath of fresh air. Good for a mid flight dip in the Pacific too.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 17293
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: Down two...then left

Re: United Airlines vs American

Post by tamada » March 28, 2024, 5:19 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 28, 2024, 2:23 pm
Kenr6583 wrote:
March 28, 2024, 9:40 am
Flying in/out of U.S., Singapore or Eva.

Alaska Airlines flying from West Coast to East Coast.
Alaska Airlines is a breath of fresh air. Good for a mid flight dip in the Pacific too.
If you mean their airplanes with the removable door plug then yes, but more like a blast of fresh air, no?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

User avatar
Udon Map
Admin
Posts: 2858
Joined: July 31, 2013, 7:57 pm

Re: United Airlines vs American

Post by Udon Map » March 28, 2024, 6:35 pm

jackspratt wrote:
March 28, 2024, 12:05 pm
Udon Map wrote:
March 28, 2024, 9:15 am
jackspratt wrote:
March 27, 2024, 10:29 pm
For those who have flown with both from Thailand to the US, which airline offers the better product in Economy and/or Premium Economy.
Is cost a factor?
A trade off between cost and convenience. For example, I am willing to pay a bit more for quicker transit times, but am not interested in flights which add multiple hours.

Japan Airlines had a very good deal, with direct flights (via Toyko) for about 35k in economy. Stupidly, I procrastinated, and that price has now gone up by 9k. ](*,)

I flew premium economy with JAL last trip - a couple of years ago - and didn't think it was worth the increased cost. I am more likely this time to book economy, and just pay for the better leg-room seats.
OK. Dates makes a difference, too. Try https://www.google.com/travel/flights. I often find cheaper fares there than on the same flights on the airline's website. If you find an itinerary on Google flights that you like, you can click through to the airline's website and you will get the same fare that Google Flights displayed.

Post Reply

Return to “Travel & Transport”