Royal mail uk

General Udon Thani topics only!
User avatar
Hoopoe
udonmap.com
Posts: 816
Joined: January 31, 2015, 5:15 pm

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by Hoopoe » May 25, 2023, 11:18 am

Hoopoe wrote:
March 18, 2023, 10:09 am
Royal mail UK to Thailand
Proof of life doc for pension took
6 weeks to get here.. Hmm makes me wonder how long the return post will take.
I've another important Doc coming. Posted 13/02 still not arrived.
Registered disappeared at Gatwick .
The UK gov pension is archaic in this day and age. I've another pension all confirmation of existence done online.
This month should see if my returned proof of life got there ,pension due , 555
the disappearing at gatwick doc never arrived , i made further enquires only to be told it was returned to them (with no explination why? ) they posted it again 6 weeks now , nothing, but they managed to get a Tax declaration form to me in 3 weeks ,hmm strange that ,FFS



User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 17671
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: Down two...then left

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by tamada » May 25, 2023, 12:16 pm

I think that the problem with these UK government documents is that they are dispatched as automated metered mail that's been configured on the broad assumption that everyone lives in the UK, regardless of what the actual address says. I am not sure if there's any way to get them to use a priority service or even basic Air Mail (if that still exists). There's the option of having it sent to UK friend or relative for faster forwarding but that opens the can of worms of another automated system assuming you're UK resident for other purposes.

Bloody Tories have stuffed up everything.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 7290
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by Doodoo » May 25, 2023, 1:01 pm

The Labour Party had 11 years also invested in the mess also or is the answer that Government created a mess The more Government involvement you have the worse you are off

Whistler
udonmap.com
Posts: 5761
Joined: June 15, 2019, 8:24 pm

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by Whistler » May 25, 2023, 1:28 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 25, 2023, 1:01 pm
The Labour Party had 11 years also invested in the mess also or is the answer that Government created a mess The more Government involvement you have the worse you are off
Labor has not been in government in the UK for 13 years, pretty hard to pin issues today on them. Mail services throughout the world have faced in recent years, the biggest set of challenges since the introduction of The Penny Black. With the Internet of things, huge volumes of paper based mail has been replaced with computerised communications, EDI, email etc.

Doodoo, you claim it is government, can you name any country which has privatised mail and done a better job?

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 7290
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by Doodoo » May 25, 2023, 2:11 pm

You named it already, the Internet is a privatized mail system
It seems to be doing better than the old mail systems

Whistler
udonmap.com
Posts: 5761
Joined: June 15, 2019, 8:24 pm

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by Whistler » May 25, 2023, 2:34 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 25, 2023, 2:11 pm
You named it already, the Internet is a privatized mail system
It seems to be doing better than the old mail systems
It is a new technology, never was government owned, never was privatised. You specifically stated that mail services suffered because they were government run.

In fact, not true. Australia Post is an example, 100% government-owned, it has met the challenge of reduced snail mail very well, its turnover is $4.69 billion and makes a profit of $23.6 million. It has turned Post Offices into retail stores, expanded its services to things like foreign Exchange, it runs one of the most efficient parcel delivery networks in the country.

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 19114
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by stattointhailand » May 25, 2023, 2:39 pm

Well I certainly cant name a Privatised one thats done worse.

They took on a Parcels and post service, split them up, make a profit on parcels and want taxpayer to bail out the loss making letter delivery.

Same as privatised railways, they want nothing to do with the system upkeep or providing a service for the customer, all they want is to run the profit making services

Whistler
udonmap.com
Posts: 5761
Joined: June 15, 2019, 8:24 pm

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by Whistler » May 25, 2023, 2:55 pm

stat, Royal mail was privatised in 2013

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 7290
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by Doodoo » May 25, 2023, 3:16 pm

My Father told me a story of a friend of his who worked in the Post Office. Eventually the friend received a promotion to Supervisor. Finally he saw the avenue to implement some of his ideas to improve the efficiency of his section. He did a great job to the point that he was asked to come in one day to talk with his Superintendents. They pointed out that he was doing a great job to the point that it would mean that they would have to lay off some of his workers. If this was done then they would have to lay off some Supervisors also. They then asked if he understood what could happen to him. He proceeded to rid his crew of these evil new work habits and get his section back to the inefficient standard

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 19114
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by stattointhailand » May 25, 2023, 3:27 pm

From business economics

"Revenues: the Royal Mail has annual revenue of £9.3 billion of which just under half comes from letters, around £4 billion from parcels and the remainder from marketing mail services.
Improving finances: Royal Mail Group has improved its financial performance considerably in recent years; the latest gross operating profit margin was 4.4% although this is less than businesses such as Deutsche Post which has achieved operating profit margins closer to 8%. Operating profits for the Royal Mail in the year to the end of March 2013 was £403m"

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 19114
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by stattointhailand » May 25, 2023, 3:28 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 25, 2023, 3:16 pm
My Father told me a story of a friend of his who worked in the Post Office. Eventually the friend received a promotion to Supervisor. Finally he saw the avenue to implement some of his ideas to improve the efficiency of his section. He did a great job to the point that he was asked to come in one day to talk with his Superintendents. They pointed out that he was doing a great job to the point that it would mean that they would have to lay off some of his workers. If this was done then they would have to lay off some Supervisors also. They then asked if he understood what could happen to him. He proceeded to rid his crew of these evil new work habits and get his section back to the inefficient standard
I thought Jackanory was supposed to be about half an hour later each day [-X

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 17671
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: Down two...then left

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by tamada » May 25, 2023, 7:10 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 25, 2023, 1:01 pm
The Labour Party had 11 years also invested in the mess also or is the answer that Government created a mess The more Government involvement you have the worse you are off
Is Trudeau's administration doing a better job than his predecessors?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 17671
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: Down two...then left

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by tamada » May 25, 2023, 7:17 pm

Whistler wrote:
May 25, 2023, 2:34 pm
Doodoo wrote:
May 25, 2023, 2:11 pm
You named it already, the Internet is a privatized mail system
It seems to be doing better than the old mail systems
It is a new technology, never was government owned, never was privatised. You specifically stated that mail services suffered because they were government run.

In fact, not true. Australia Post is an example, 100% government-owned, it has met the challenge of reduced snail mail very well, its turnover is $4.69 billion and makes a profit of $23.6 million. It has turned Post Offices into retail stores, expanded its services to things like foreign Exchange, it runs one of the most efficient parcel delivery networks in the country.
And they charge 15 bucks for a small padded Jiffy bag and their parcel delivery monopoly still takes the best part of a week to deliver something from Coopers Plains to Subiaco.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

User avatar
jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 16303
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by jackspratt » May 25, 2023, 7:30 pm

I don't think you will find many residents of Oz who are willing to sing the praises of OzPost parcel delivery, nor their even worse subsidiary, StarTrack.

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 7290
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by Doodoo » May 25, 2023, 8:34 pm

TUM
"Is Trudeau's administration doing a better job than his predecessors?"
Wouldnt have a clue I certainly dont follow his regime

Maybe you have some input like every other subject on Udonmap

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 17671
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: Down two...then left

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by tamada » May 25, 2023, 10:04 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 25, 2023, 8:34 pm
TUM
"Is Trudeau's administration doing a better job than his predecessors?"
Wouldnt have a clue I certainly dont follow his regime

Maybe you have some input like every other subject on Udonmap
So your comments in various other threads about the Canadian government being able to close your bank accounts or a couple of tilts at the UK's last Labour government or several comments on the Texas gun tragedy is because you don't care? You got particularly bent out of shape on the British Colonialism thread when Canada wasn't recognized as being pivotal in the Japanese surrender in WWII. All this because you don't follow or care about the many things on UM that you post comment and opinion on?

My prodigious posting appears to upset you. Why is that? As you said yourself recently in the RIP thread, and I quote, "No need for you to read it either. Some people may say it is irrelevant while others disagree. This is the art of discussion and that is the basis of a website such as Udon Map."

Now, honestly, why do you bother?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 7290
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by Doodoo » May 25, 2023, 10:30 pm

"So your comments in various other threads about the Canadian government being able to close your bank accounts or a couple of tilts at the UK's last Labour government or several comments on the Texas gun tragedy is because you don't care? " No its because I enjoy reading to Learn

You got particularly bent out of shape on the British Colonialism thread when Canada wasn't recognized as being pivotal in the Japanese surrender in WWII. All this because you don't follow or care about the many things on UM that you post comment and opinion on?
I enjoy reading history and commenting re such You can decide what you want. "bent out of shape" never have been as you will see in the next paragraph

"Now, honestly, why do you bother?"
Retired,
have an opinion,
enjoy seeing others learn from posting such as WORDS
and
I dont really care

Now how about you?

Whistler
udonmap.com
Posts: 5761
Joined: June 15, 2019, 8:24 pm

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by Whistler » May 26, 2023, 9:53 am

tamada wrote:
May 25, 2023, 7:17 pm
Whistler wrote:
May 25, 2023, 2:34 pm
Doodoo wrote:
May 25, 2023, 2:11 pm
You named it already, the Internet is a privatized mail system
It seems to be doing better than the old mail systems
It is a new technology, never was government owned, never was privatised. You specifically stated that mail services suffered because they were government run.

In fact, not true. Australia Post is an example, 100% government-owned, it has met the challenge of reduced snail mail very well, its turnover is $4.69 billion and makes a profit of $23.6 million. It has turned Post Offices into retail stores, expanded its services to things like foreign Exchange, it runs one of the most efficient parcel delivery networks in the country.
And they charge 15 bucks for a small padded Jiffy bag and their parcel delivery monopoly still takes the best part of a week to deliver something from Coopers Plains to Subiaco.
Express delivery between Queensland and WA is 2 days. Not bad for a distance of 4300 road kilometres over three time zones. Standard delivery is 5 days again over a very long distance.

Small jiffy bags are nowhere near as expensive as you claim they start at $1.79

https://auspost.com.au/shop/sending/box ... d-mailers-

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 17671
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: Down two...then left

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by tamada » May 27, 2023, 10:40 am

Screenshot_20230527-103809.png
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 7290
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by Doodoo » May 27, 2023, 11:52 am

Still waiting a reply Tam

""Now, honestly, why do you bother?"
Retired,
have an opinion,
enjoy seeing others learn from posting such as WORDS
and
I dont really care

Now how about you?"

Thought I was in the Doctors office on the couch with the way you were analysising me and now am simply asking for your input.

Post Reply

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”