Buying Airline Tickets by Credit Card

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Buying Airline Tickets by Credit Card

Post by semperfiguy » March 16, 2023, 12:58 pm

I seem to recall that there is/was a requirement when purchasing airline tickets by credit card, that the name on the card had to match the name on the ticket. I need to know if that is still true for tickets within Thailand as well as tickets purchased for a trip to the US. My son in the US has volunteered to purchase tickets for me and my wife to visit him in the US. If this is going to complicate matters, then I need to make other arrangements. Any comments/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Sport
udonmap.com

Re: Buying Airline Tickets by Credit Card

Post by Sport » March 16, 2023, 1:02 pm

Just a thought. Start to go through the process of booking tickets here then try tickets to the US. If that clause comes up, just cancel the process.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 16, 2023, 1:41 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
March 16, 2023, 12:58 pm
I seem to recall that there is/was a requirement when purchasing airline tickets by credit card, that the name on the card had to match the name on the ticket. I need to know if that is still true for tickets within Thailand as well as tickets purchased for a trip to the US. My son in the US has volunteered to purchase tickets for me and my wife to visit him in the US. If this is going to complicate matters, then I need to make other arrangements. Any comments/suggestions would be very much appreciated.
No, you can purchase for others using a credit card, it asks the question when going through the process, I do it all the time with my wife and son, just make sure your spelling is spot on and names you write for the ticket are an exact match to ID card or passport... I learnt the hardway and put my wifes nick name down as her middle name, didnt match her ID card and had to purchase a new return ticket.... highly p---d off...

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 16, 2023, 2:07 pm

fatbob wrote:
March 16, 2023, 1:41 pm

No, you can purchase for others using a credit card, it asks the question when going through the process, I do it all the time with my wife and son, just make sure your spelling is spot on and names you write for the ticket are an exact match to ID card or passport... I learnt the hardway and put my wifes nick name down as her middle name, didnt match her ID card and had to purchase a new return ticket.... highly p---d off...
Last time i flew with the extended family, left Udon fine but the return flight 2 of the kids names were spelt wrong
Only had to get the airline ticketing office to change the spelling
No cost

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » March 16, 2023, 2:12 pm

Last September I purchased 2 Bkk-Hanoi tickets for late December, from the Vietnam Airlines website.
I paid with my VISA card, a card that I have been using for years.
Everything went through very smoothly.
To my astonishment, a few days later I got an email from Vietnam Airlines, warning me that having bought the tickets with an INTERNATIONAL credit card i would have to present the following at check-in time.
Copy of the email on my phone.
Print copy of the email.
The credit card used to buy the tickets.

Of course at check-in time in BKK not a single word.
Let me say that I was not too pleased with Vietnam Airlines treating me as a criminal.
Good luck with your trip.
Stay safe.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 16, 2023, 2:15 pm

Airlines other than Vietnam Airlines (not all) warn you that you may be required to show the CC used for the purchase when you check-in.

sfg, your best bet would be to check with the airline(s) you intend to fly with, and ask about their requirements.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 16, 2023, 2:44 pm

the-monk wrote:
March 16, 2023, 2:12 pm
Let me say that I was not too pleased with Vietnam Airlines treating me as a criminal.
You were not treated as a criminal! The airline was trying to protect the owner of the credit card from fraud. That you were the owner of the card just means that in this case the precaution was not needed.

But by all means get upset at the airline and credit card company trying to reduce fraud, your ticket prices and credit card interest rates.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 16, 2023, 2:56 pm

If you do a last minute booking with a credit card and the payment hasn't gone through all the hoops you may be asked for confirmation, if done in advance and the payment has been procesed your good to go...

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 16, 2023, 2:58 pm

noosard wrote:
March 16, 2023, 2:07 pm
fatbob wrote:
March 16, 2023, 1:41 pm

Last time i flew with the extended family, left Udon fine but the return flight 2 of the kids names were spelt wrong
No cost
Last week my son and wife flew to Bkk with Thai Viet Jet, they would not change the spelling on the ticket, all they had to do was delete the Jang from the middle name, no luck, I had to purchase a new return ticket for the wife, needless to say that is the last time I'm flying with that airline.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 16, 2023, 3:03 pm

Sorry to hear that
They just being arseholes

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 16, 2023, 4:04 pm

Yep, with the limited number of airlines I have used over the last 22 years Thai VietJet has also joined my growing list of "Never Again" carriers which include:-
JetStar
Qantas
BA
Bangkok Air
Anything associated with Indonesia
Etc.

I haven't been asked to produce my credit card on checkin, here in Thailand, for many years. The difference in the spelling of Mrs Dero's maiden and her daughters surname (a translation typo on official documents after a court custody grant some 21 years ago) have not been a problem with airlines and even when we applied for Australian permanent residency in 2002.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » March 16, 2023, 4:33 pm

Some airlines will ask for the credit card to be produced if you have purchased a ticket for someone and you are not flying with them. hen flying local it is ok
It is always mentioned in there terms and conditions when purchasing a ticket for someone else.
some only insist that the transaction is verified by visa before the purchase is competed if using a visa credit card.

Check the airlines terms and conditions of purchase before booking it will state the terms on there website..

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 16, 2023, 6:12 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
March 16, 2023, 4:04 pm
Yep, with the limited number of airlines I have used over the last 22 years Thai VietJet has also joined my growing list of "Never Again" carriers which include:-
JetStar
Qantas
BA
Bangkok Air
Anything associated with Indonesia
Etc.

I take airlines like restuarants and meals some times good some shet but will give them a second go
hate to cut off the nose to spite the face

SeekingSakYant
udonmap.com

Post by SeekingSakYant » September 5, 2023, 10:52 am

[quote=fatbob post_id=670394 time=1678953538 user_id=18252]
[quote=noosard post_id=670388 time=1678950444 user_id=23770]
[quote=fatbob post_id=670386 time=1678948906 user_id=18252]

[/quote]

No cost
[/quote]

Last week my son and wife flew to Bkk with Thai Viet Jet, they would not change the spelling on the ticket, all they had to do was delete the Jang from the middle name, no luck, I had to purchase a new return ticket for the wife, needless to say that is the last time I'm flying with that airline.
[/quote]

You do know that despite the Airline refusing to Refund you would have been able to dispute it with your Credit Card Issuer and received a full refund right?

A refund for Disputing for Lack of a Paid for Service is actually easier than Disputing for Fraud....this is why allllllll my plane tickets, hotels and car rentals are paid via Credit Card, you have more protections than if you pay with cash via Debit Card, because technically that's what a Debit Card is, Cash with a few extra steps and usually with some Limited(always read the fine print) Protections because they're issued in partnership with Visa or MasterCard and your financial institution.

It's also why it used to be against Visa and Master Card policy for a Business/Vendor to add a "fee" if you pay via Debit Card, it's not costing the Business/Vendor that 3% or whatever Visa or MC is charging to process the transaction.

But nowadays Capitalism rules all so it may not be the case anymore. I used to work for JP Morgan Chase in their Credit Card divison so I promise I'm not blowing smoke ;)

It always makes me smile my biggest when some asshat says, "there's no refunds" or "there's a cancellation/restocking fee". Sure, yall take Credit? You do? Awesome! It's fine by me that you want to argue with a multibillion dollar corporation lol, good luck with that.

Y'all know that you don't own that Money right? You own the debt. A Bank's gonna fight for it lol.
"To care for him who shall have borne the Battle, and for his Widow, and his Orphan." -A.Lincoln

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” -Mark Twain

Cambodia is the South East Asian equivalent of Alabama and Louisiana and their cousin humpin Mississippi states of Merica

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » September 7, 2023, 7:11 pm

the-monk wrote:
Stay safe.
The international credit card purchase on Nok means you can't check-in online. When I flew every Friday and Monday this was kind of important so I had to switch to bank transfers for those flights back then. I don't think they ever asked to see my credit card either but bypassing the check-in queue saved lots of time so I changed for that reason. Never had any refund issues for Nok when applicable so I was okay for this case. Being able to go straight to the gate most certainly saved me missing flights as I tended to cut it pretty close when is was a routine commute.
SeekingSakYant wrote:
September 5, 2023, 10:52 am
You do know that despite the Airline refusing to Refund you would have been able to dispute it with your Credit Card Issuer and received a full refund right?

A refund for Disputing for Lack of a Paid for Service is actually easier than Disputing for Fraud....this is why allllllll my plane tickets, hotels and car rentals are paid via Credit Card, you have more protections than if you pay with cash via Debit Card, because technically that's what a Debit Card is, Cash with a few extra steps and usually with some Limited(always read the fine print) Protections because they're issued in partnership with Visa or MasterCard and your financial institution.
I'm with SSY on this and use my Chase MasterCard for most everything I can. Sadly not on Nok Air any longer. Gives piece of mind and in my case, free rental car insurance and lots of Intercontinental or Holiday Inn free rooms and upgrades to boot.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 9, 2023, 2:24 pm

the-monk wrote:
Last September I purchased 2 Bkk-Hanoi tickets for late December, from the Vietnam Airlines website.
I paid with my VISA card, a card that I have been using for years.
Everything went through very smoothly.
To my astonishment, a few days later I got an email from Vietnam Airlines, warning me that having bought the tickets with an INTERNATIONAL credit card i would have to present the following at check-in time.
Copy of the email on my phone.
Print copy of the email.
The credit card used to buy the tickets.

Stay safe.
IIRC, Vietnam has been the host nation of at least two fairly recent airline ticket credit card scams. Malaysia also has the same dubious reputation.

Not making excuses but maybe Vietnam Airlines were treating you like a "criminal" because they had been hosed by real criminals before? Maybe a new industry scam alert saw them briefly enact the cross checks? They're just protecting themselves and the less wary travelers.

My recollection from years back was Thai Airways ALWAYS asked to see the card used for an online booking, even if the card holder was the passenger and the check in agent would type the card details in at that time. Maybe their previous online booking service couldn't process beyond a "hold" on funds until the POS completion at the airport? No such issues now.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “Travel & Transport”