Udon Town. Birthday.

General Udon Thani topics only!
Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Udon Town. Birthday.

Post by Old Grumpy » January 17, 2023, 3:30 pm

Yes its that time again tomorrow the 18th.Early morning many streets around Prajak statue closed for the mass dancing, so best to avoid until a bit later unless you want to watch the record breaking occassion.

Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Town. Birthday.

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 17, 2023, 5:00 pm

Indeed it is Val .. DM being practicing for weeks will be up the crack of dawn applying my make up n fancy frock to go shake my bootie and break another record as the only falang transvestite taking part, all for a good cause of course ...so any members going to watch and spot me please give me a loud cheer(and a tip or can of Chang or both)

BTW Im the one in the orange blouse
:shock:

Sorry unrelated to udon but this sketch makes me larf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6U35hmvdcQ

DM
Last edited by Drunk Monkey on January 17, 2023, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 17, 2023, 5:05 pm

Poor Dawn =; [-o<

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 18, 2023, 11:39 am

I don't get it. Wiki says Udon Thani was founded on 15 March 1936. I am forbidden, according to UdonMap from quoting the link. Just google the founding of Udon Thani from Wiki and you'll see the reference.

Furthermore, before the 1890s, Isaan was part of one of the Lao Kingdoms so the village or town of Udon Thani might stretch much further back than 130 years.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 18, 2023, 12:56 pm

Shock horror, you mean there are untruths in wiki? Who ever would have thought that :-"

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 18, 2023, 1:41 pm

k
Attachments
Screenshot_20230118-132326_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230118-132326_Chrome.jpg (11.69 KiB) Viewed 1202 times

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 18, 2023, 1:47 pm

HBD Oodorn!!!
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 19, 2023, 10:44 am

parrot wrote:
January 18, 2023, 1:41 pm
k
I can't read this. What does it say?

I get this message when I try to copy from Wiki: Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this resource.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I can copy this, Udon Thani town municipality (thesaban mueang) with an area of 5.6 km2 (2.2 sq mi) was established on 15 March 1936.[7] - wiki

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 19, 2023, 10:56 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udon_Thani

Needs a whole lot of work.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 19, 2023, 11:32 am

Sorry about that screenshot........here's the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udon_Thani_province
Founded in 1893.
"Once known as Ban Mak-kaeng, Udon Thani was originally settled as a military base established by Prince Prachaksinlapakhom to suppress an uprising in the northeastern city of Lao Puan. Ban Mak-kaeng grew slowly from a small rural town to become what is now the city of Udon Thani. He founded Udon Thani town in 1893, established the civil administration and served important official duties for the region."

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 20, 2023, 11:50 am

Well, it's a bit confusing to have the official records state that Udon Thani town was founded in 1893, and then to have a government source indicate that Udon Thani town municipality was established in 1936. It seems that Ban Mak-kaeng was the town/military base was the one founded in 1893, and Udon Thani came later. Whatever, Happy Birthday Udon Thani.

This was my source,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udon_Than ... ipality%20(thesaban,established%20on%2015%20March%201936.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » January 20, 2023, 8:04 pm

Was it a Lao town in 1893 or Thai?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » January 20, 2023, 11:39 pm

Depends. Siam in the 19th Century included large parts of what is now Laos, mainly as vassal states, The French recognised the area as vassal states of Siam in 1886, but took over control in 1889 of parts of Laos. The border was set as the Mekong, areas to the South stayed under Siamese control. Borders in this area were somewhat fluid as it was a network of small Kingdoms, which were claimed by Vietnam, China and Siam, before the French arrived. The Taiping rebellion caused many refugees to flee to this area, causing major instability and war. The Siamese forcibly relocated many Laotians south of the Mekong to settle sparsely populated areas (Udon?) The main city was then Nong Khai, but as this was within a cannon shot of French controlled areas (Vientianne) they moved the provincial capital to Udon Thani. I am sure LYM knows more.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » January 21, 2023, 3:49 am

There you go, thanks Rick. My modern assumption, I suppose, nation states with hard borders. I do remember something similar to what you described with HK at the turn of the 20th century, where there was no hard border between China proper and the New Territories at that time.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 21, 2023, 9:17 am

And then there is the ancient Khmer empire:

The Khmer empire was a state of Southeast Asia that lasted from about ad 802 to 1431. It enjoyed its greatest prosperity from the 11th to the 13th century. The Khmer empire ruled much of what is now Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 21, 2023, 11:09 am

parrot wrote:
January 21, 2023, 9:17 am

The Khmer empire was a state of Southeast Asia that lasted from about ad 802 to 1431. It enjoyed its greatest prosperity from the 11th to the 13th century. The Khmer empire ruled much of what is now Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam
..and Oodorn hadn't even been invented yet.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 21, 2023, 12:17 pm

parrot wrote:
January 21, 2023, 9:17 am

And then there was Mon Dvaravati which controlled much of central Thailand and Burma at the same time or even earlier than Angkor. One of its capitals was Nakhon Pathom. In the North before the Thai arrived and established the Lan Na State, there was Mon Haripunchaiya with its capital at Lamphun. It had a Mon ally at Thaton in Burma. The so-called first Thai State at Sukhothai in the 13th century was actually probably a Lao state based on early stone inscriptions.

There was an Indonesian State that ruled much of Southern Thailand with its capital at Nakhon Sri Thammarat around the same time as Angkor.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 11, 2024, 1:20 pm

Udon's birthday 18th. Children's day this weekend.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 11, 2024, 5:09 pm

One would think that Udon's past history must be very similar to that of Khon Kaen. We seem to have more history about the great city to the south than we have for Udon.
History
Several bronze and iron tools used as axes have been discovered in the province, along with a bronze ring attached to a skeleton. This is in addition to a copper axe found from 4,600 to 4,800 (2600 BC to 2800 BC), the oldest in Southeast Asia.[5] During the Dvaravati period, Khon Kaen was influenced by the culture of the central region. The oldest inscription found in Khon Kaen dates back to the 8th century and is written in the Old Mon language, suggesting the presence of Mon people in the area at that time.[6]: 93 The Dvaravati culture is believed to have played a significant role in the region, and the Nyah Kur people are thought to be descendants of the Dvaravati Mon people.[6]: 75  During the 10th–11th centuries and onwards, the area came under Khmer influence, as evidenced by various inscriptions.[6]: 166  The area fell into the control of Lan Xang before coming under Central Thai control.[7]

The first city of the area was established in 1783 when Rajakruluang settled there with 330 people. individual Rama I made Rajakruluang the first governor of the area when establishing tighter connections with the Isan area. The main city was moved six times until in 1879 it reached its present-day location at Nuang Kaw. Khon Kaen was under the governance of Udon in the early period of Rattanakosin, c. 2450 BCE. The Integrated Opisthorchiasis Control Program, also known as the Lawa Project, an internationally recognized liver fluke control program, has its offices in the Ban Phai and Ban Haet Districts south of Khon Kaen city.

Other satellite cities that has to do with the separation from the city of Suwannabhumi and later separated into a city in the province of Khon Kaen after 1797 that includes the city of Mancha Khiri district.

Khon Kaen was incorporated as a city in 1797.
- wiki

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”