where to exchange Laos Kip?

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

where to exchange Laos Kip?

Post by chopperjoey » June 21, 2022, 10:13 am

I got Laos Kip according to online currency converters its about 950 baht. All banks including in Central i asked do not exchange Kip.
I finally found one exchange boot in UD Town in the Lotus passage, that exchanges Kip. However, they offered about 500 baht, which seems a bit low.
Are there other places to exchange Kip here in Udon Thani? ...

papafarang
udonmap.com

Re: where to exchange Laos Kip?

Post by papafarang » June 21, 2022, 12:14 pm

surprised you could find anywhere that would change them, met a couple of backpackers once who were trying to exchange 2,300,000 kip into baht. why they left Laos with that much is mind boggling . best bet is finding someone heading over there
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Post by chopperjoey » June 21, 2022, 12:54 pm

papafarang wrote:
June 21, 2022, 12:14 pm
surprised you could find anywhere that would change them, met a couple of backpackers once who were trying to exchange 2,300,000 kip into baht. why they left Laos with that much is mind boggling . best bet is finding someone heading over there
thanks.
yes it wasnt that easy especially kind of a wild goose chase, because i asked staff at various banks and unwilling to bluntly admit they hadnt a clue, they kindly provided me with information where to go that was not wholly correct...
one bank employee whom i had to interrupt from her Facebook finally gave me info that lead me to the currency exchanger at UD Town..

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 21, 2022, 1:28 pm

I was reading that Laos has appointed a new central bank governor and will be clamping down on daily forex transactions.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/23301 ... s-fx-sales

That may result in less yellow-plated, LHD SUV's around town?

Not sure how that impacts the OP's money swap but maybe just hang onto it?
You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 21, 2022, 7:23 pm

There's a gold shop next to the Fountain Circle which used to exchange Lao Kip. They had a sign out front showing various currencies. I'm not sure if they're still doing it or not.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Return to “Money, Banking & Investments”