Snakes?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Earnest
udonmap.com

Re: Snakes?

Post by Earnest » March 13, 2022, 5:43 pm

Sounds quite scary.

This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

marcsarge
udonmap.com

Post by marcsarge » June 22, 2022, 10:42 pm

In the 6 years I've been here in LOS I've kill about 3 snakes but the last 10 or so have been getting to fast so I call my wife's friends to come and get them. As far as I and friends can tell they have all been harmless. Today I got my cherry popped. I was watering some of my trees talking to my wife on the phone and saw some movement and there was a maybe 2 meter snake about 5 meters away from me. Thinking it was just a bigger then normal snake I shot it with the water hose, It did not like that and its head popped up in that Cobra defensive. I took a picture of it after moving away. I surely will be watchful from this day forward.
Attachments
20220622_150345_resized.jpg
resized.jpg

Rono
udonmap.com

Post by Rono » June 23, 2022, 11:10 am

That sure looks like a งูเห่า (nguu hao) Just wanted to know what part of Udon Thani you're at. I 'm in the Sampraow aeria, and these days I have to help on a small kitchen garden (ca 30 x 30 m) of the wife for a while. And now I thought I have seen something similar . Color and lenght, no cobra- like reaction though.There are the left over concrete pillars of a not finished house, with the entire and the foundation in the ground. ( we bought it like that)and many holes next to those pillars. Once I put the water hose in one of these and pumped water for a while to see if or what would come out. It did not fill up and nothing came out of that one. But now, seeing your post i wonder: what if???

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » June 23, 2022, 1:54 pm

marcsarge wrote:
June 22, 2022, 10:42 pm
Thinking it was just a bigger then normal snake I shot it with the water hose, It did not like that and its head popped up in that Cobra defensive.
:shock:

Hissing Sid doesn't like the rain.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

marcsarge
udonmap.com

Post by marcsarge » June 23, 2022, 8:32 pm

:lol:
Rono wrote:
June 23, 2022, 11:10 am
That sure looks like a งูเห่า (nguu hao) Just wanted to know what part of Udon Thani you're at. I 'm in the Sampraow aeria, and these days I have to help on a small kitchen garden (ca 30 x 30 m) of the wife for a while. And now I thought I have seen something similar . Color and lenght, no cobra- like reaction though.There are the left over concrete pillars of a not finished house, with the entire and the foundation in the ground. ( we bought it like that)and many holes next to those pillars. Once I put the water hose in one of these and pumped water for a while to see if or what would come out. It did not fill up and nothing came out of that one. But now, seeing your post i wonder: what if???
I live in Phen about halfway between Nong Khai and Udon east about 15K. We had a saying when I lived in Texas never move large Rocks, plies of wood without being ready because you never know what's under it cooling off. A lesson well learn here in Phen when a few years also I was cutting grass behind my outside wall near the wooded area. I came across and large rock and went to pick it up to get it out of the way. Just before I picked it up I decided to use a long pole to lift it up first and a snake about 2" by 5' came out and went into the woods. Don't know whether dangerous or not but was happy to remember what I learned in Texas. I would say trying to remove any old structure in LOS it would be a good idea to let locals do the removal.posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&t=1423&p=652711#

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » June 24, 2022, 4:54 am

I sensed in our chat yesterday and after your cobra experience, that you sort of humbly accepted that the ancient Brit living opposite wasn't actually in 'cloud cuckoo land' about the local wildlife. :lol: Mind you, the colourful python sitting in the Tesco's car park was quite a surprise to me too.

marcsarge
udonmap.com

Post by marcsarge » June 24, 2022, 9:49 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
June 24, 2022, 4:54 am
I sensed in our chat yesterday and after your cobra experience, that you sort of humbly accepted that the ancient Brit living opposite wasn't actually in 'cloud cuckoo land' about the local wildlife. :lol: Mind you, the colourful python sitting in the Tesco's car park was quite a surprise to me too.
Yes Brian I will in the future never question your knowledge of Thailand's wild life. You are the man.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » March 12, 2023, 1:54 pm

Saw this on a run round Kaen Nakhon Lake in central KK this AM. Quite a long one for the centre of town. Not very good at identifying the good Lords creatures but, everyone I know will be told it was a individual Cobra

Screenshot_20230312-063812_Photos.jpg

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 12, 2023, 2:33 pm

Finally after all these years Udonmaps stupid K*ng replacement has worked =D> =D> =D> :lol:

Yes folks it was indeed an Individual one, there were certainly not two of them :-"

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 12, 2023, 4:05 pm

Sh!tty death, I think I'd soil my shorts if I ran into a (K)ing Cobra. :shock:

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » March 12, 2023, 4:10 pm

Earnest wrote:
March 12, 2023, 4:05 pm
Sh!tty death, I think I'd soil my shorts if I ran into a (K)ing Cobra. :shock:
Ignorance is bliss. I still dont know if it was one. Seems like the forum clientele are only expert on politics and sport

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 12, 2023, 4:24 pm

There used to be a snake expert on here years back. He was an American, I think, rather good too.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 12, 2023, 5:30 pm

That looks like a harmless Rat snake, a protected species here, for those that live in the boonies and is on facebook there is an excellent page called 'Snakes of Issan', take a pic, post it and the experts will have it identified in no time, most snakes here are harmless but treat them all as dangerous, keep a safe distance and let them go about there business, most humans that get bitten do so when trying to kill a snake...

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » March 12, 2023, 6:14 pm

Living out in the country in a big garden as I do we frequently encounter snakes of various types they all have one thing in common though they never attack first in fact they try to scamper away quickly when they have no where to go do they face you. I never ever try to kill them,at best I will use a long pole to flick them over our wall if they are cornered.
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 12, 2023, 7:09 pm

How the hell can you eat the damn thing if you dont kill it first? They a'int shrimps, you cant eat them whilst they are still alive

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 12, 2023, 7:46 pm

Eating LIVE Snakes, sure can Read on
Snake
"Consuming the beating heart and blood of live snakes has been a reported practice among some locals and tourists in certain parts of Vietnam, particularly Le Mat village in Hanoi. The practice was documented on Gordon's Great Escape when celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay swallowed the beating heart of a cobra at a Ho Chi Minh eatery. It was also consumed by celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain in the same city."

Gordon Ramsey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVLF21E-baA

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 12, 2023, 7:49 pm

Still think I'd feel safer knowing the damn thing was 100% DEAD before getting too close

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 12, 2023, 8:36 pm

Old Grumpy wrote:
March 12, 2023, 6:14 pm
I never ever try to kill them, at best I will use a long pole to flick them over our wall if they are cornered.
Into the neighbour's garden? :lol: :lol: :lol:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 12, 2023, 8:58 pm

Earnest wrote:
March 12, 2023, 8:36 pm
Old Grumpy wrote:
I never ever try to kill them, at best I will use a long pole to flick them over our wall if they are cornered.
But His Neighbours will love him for it as he's Providing a FREE Lunch for them..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » March 13, 2023, 6:21 am

Earnest wrote:
March 12, 2023, 8:36 pm
Old Grumpy wrote:
I don't have neighbours it's adjacent farm land., rice or sugar cane, hence probably why we get the snakes in the first place. \:D/
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”