Aspirin and heart attacks

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 4148
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by Doodoo » October 13, 2021, 5:33 am

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/advice- ... 40972.html

New research on Aspirin and heart attacks



User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 8062
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 13, 2021, 7:27 am

Twood be interesting to have a rough idea what percentage of regular UM members take baby 81 mg aspirin daily and their thoughts / feedback good or bad ??

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com
Posts: 4266
Joined: February 13, 2006, 2:02 am
Location: Udon Thani Thailand

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by FrazeeDK » October 13, 2021, 8:21 am

I've been taking low-dose (81mg) of aspirin for years. I've got moderate high BP and high cholesterol, both of which are controlled by meds. The article is enlightening but in googling all I see is dozens of meida echoes of it. Here is a more bbalanced article: https://www.healthline.com/health/heart ... k#takeaway
So, in my case at 67 1/2 I guess I'll continue taking it until I'm 70. The benefits in my opinion outweigh the risks at this time. Also, this article highlights some additional info on the possibility of a low dose aspirin regimen for 5-10 years keeping certain cancers at bay.
Dave

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 10157
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by parrot » October 13, 2021, 11:03 am

I'm still waiting for the surgeon general to announce that they had it all wrong on smoking. I'd buy a pack tomorrow......eh, today.

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1754
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by AlexO » October 13, 2021, 12:30 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
October 13, 2021, 7:27 am
Twood be interesting to have a rough idea what percentage of regular UM members take baby 81 mg aspirin daily and their thoughts / feedback good or bad ??

DM
I do Jon, same age as Freezee and have same conditions due to being overweight and getting old. I take half the tab in the morning and half at night. Strangely Doctors who do agree with this, recommend taking the tablets at night as most heart attacks happen during the sleeping hours. Just as an aside, UK first aid recommendations for a heart attack victim is bang 300mg of aspirin into them just as soon as you can.

User avatar
Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com
Posts: 696
Joined: June 2, 2019, 5:59 pm

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by Declan MacPherson » October 13, 2021, 2:34 pm

https://www.jpost.com/health-and-wellne ... ial-681127
Aspirin lowers risk of COVID: New findings support preliminary Israeli trial
The treatment reduced the risk of reaching mechanical ventilation by 44%. ICU admissions were lower by 43%, and an overall in-hospital mortality saw a 47% decrease.
* * *
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 10616
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by tamada » October 13, 2021, 4:17 pm

Declan MacPherson wrote:
October 13, 2021, 2:34 pm
https://www.jpost.com/health-and-wellne ... ial-681127
Aspirin lowers risk of COVID: New findings support preliminary Israeli trial
The treatment reduced the risk of reaching mechanical ventilation by 44%. ICU admissions were lower by 43%, and an overall in-hospital mortality saw a 47% decrease.
* * *
Thanks for posting this remarkable bit of disinformation. What a totally disingenuous and fundamentally incorrect tag line for this story by the editors at the JP. The ai-driven internet search algorithms will be sucking up this imprecise distortion of a medical finding and leading even more of the slightly dim down the garden path.

User avatar
Khun Paul
udonmap.com
Posts: 5810
Joined: September 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by Khun Paul » October 13, 2021, 4:19 pm

I discussed this with my medical family at length some time ago, while it is certainly and apparantly benifical on occasions top take Asdpirin of an y strength, lower doesage taklen daily may eventually be harmful to your health . SO advice passed to me was if you feel the need to take anything for a long period of time ( over 3/4 weeks ) then a regular examination by a Medical Doctor is suggested together with all the other meds you may be taking, as sometimes a mix of pills may throw up contra-indications .
But judging by some here armed with knowledge gleaned form many sources some probably dubious, I expect my words will be met with derision .

User avatar
Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com
Posts: 696
Joined: June 2, 2019, 5:59 pm

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by Declan MacPherson » October 13, 2021, 4:39 pm

tamada wrote:
October 13, 2021, 4:17 pm
Thanks for posting this remarkable bit of disinformation. What a totally disingenuous and fundamentally incorrect tag line for this story by the editors at the JP. The ai-driven internet search algorithms will be sucking up this imprecise distortion of a medical finding and leading even more of the slightly dim down the garden path.
Quote the disinformation from the article.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 10616
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by tamada » October 13, 2021, 4:53 pm

Declan MacPherson wrote:
October 13, 2021, 4:39 pm
tamada wrote:
October 13, 2021, 4:17 pm
Thanks for posting this remarkable bit of disinformation. What a totally disingenuous and fundamentally incorrect tag line for this story by the editors at the JP. The ai-driven internet search algorithms will be sucking up this imprecise distortion of a medical finding and leading even more of the slightly dim down the garden path.
Quote the disinformation from the article.
The primary tag line.

Aspirin lowers risk of COVID: New findings support preliminary Israeli trial

Wrong. Aspirin does not lower the risk of Covid.

The secondary tag line.

The treatment reduced the risk of reaching mechanical ventilation by 44%. ICU admissions were lower by 43%, and an overall in-hospital mortality saw a 47% decrease.

This statement is correct. The treatment reduces the risk of needing ventilation AFTER you have already caught Covid, have been diagnosed as having Covid and are being treated for that infection. Aspirin does not 'lower the risk of Covid' but, like the vaccines, it appears it may reduce the severity of a Covid infection.

It's bad editing but like most media everywhere, maybe the JP has a political ax to grind here?

User avatar
Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com
Posts: 696
Joined: June 2, 2019, 5:59 pm

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by Declan MacPherson » October 13, 2021, 4:55 pm

tamada wrote:
October 13, 2021, 4:53 pm


The primary tag line.

Aspirin lowers risk of COVID: New findings support preliminary Israeli trial

Wrong. Aspirin does not lower the risk of Covid.

The secondary tag line.

The treatment reduced the risk of reaching mechanical ventilation by 44%. ICU admissions were lower by 43%, and an overall in-hospital mortality saw a 47% decrease.

This statement is correct. The treatment reduces the risk of needing ventilation AFTER you have already caught Covid, have been diagnosed as having Covid and are being treated for that infection. Aspirin does not 'lower the risk of Covid' but, like the vaccines, it appears it may reduce the severity of a Covid infection.

It's bad editing but like most media everywhere, maybe the JP has a political ax to grind here?
Just as I thought. There's nothing wrong with the article.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 10616
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by tamada » October 13, 2021, 5:05 pm

Declan MacPherson wrote:
October 13, 2021, 4:55 pm
tamada wrote:
October 13, 2021, 4:53 pm


The primary tag line.

Aspirin lowers risk of COVID: New findings support preliminary Israeli trial

Wrong. Aspirin does not lower the risk of Covid.

The secondary tag line.

The treatment reduced the risk of reaching mechanical ventilation by 44%. ICU admissions were lower by 43%, and an overall in-hospital mortality saw a 47% decrease.

This statement is correct. The treatment reduces the risk of needing ventilation AFTER you have already caught Covid, have been diagnosed as having Covid and are being treated for that infection. Aspirin does not 'lower the risk of Covid' but, like the vaccines, it appears it may reduce the severity of a Covid infection.

It's bad editing but like most media everywhere, maybe the JP has a political ax to grind here?
Just as I thought. There's nothing wrong with the article.
You thought? Really? That would be a bonus if you had.

Either way, you can't see the IMPORTANCE of the difference between the TAG LINE and the TEXT. That's fine. We're used to it by now.

User avatar
Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com
Posts: 696
Joined: June 2, 2019, 5:59 pm

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by Declan MacPherson » October 13, 2021, 5:15 pm

If it reduces risk of a severe outcome, it lowers the risk of covid.

You can keep playing your games. I am used to that too.

There is nothing wrong with the article.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 10616
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by tamada » October 13, 2021, 11:46 pm

Declan MacPherson wrote:
October 13, 2021, 5:15 pm
If it reduces risk of a severe outcome, it lowers the risk of covid.

You can keep playing your games. I am used to that too.

There is nothing wrong with the article.
You're American. You're poor grammar and comprehension is a given.

Don't sweat it though. We aren't.

User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 6658
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: Auckland

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by GT93 » October 14, 2021, 5:07 am

Steady on. Many many Americans are considerably sharper than 45 and 46. They aren't all Baldricks.

User avatar
jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 13218
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by jackspratt » October 14, 2021, 7:27 am

tamada wrote:
October 13, 2021, 11:46 pm

You're American. You're poor grammar and comprehension is a given.
Any thoughts on punctuation? :-k

User avatar
Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com
Posts: 696
Joined: June 2, 2019, 5:59 pm

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by Declan MacPherson » October 14, 2021, 8:13 am

tamada wrote:
October 13, 2021, 11:46 pm

You're American. You're poor grammar and comprehension is a given.
A know-it-all gets it wrong. I believe it is 'YOUR poor grammar', and I comprehend that pretty well. But I can forgive poor usage. It is common for the common folk.

Not sweating it though. I would have to care what you think. Ooops. You think? I guess you do not think so good after all. :lol:
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 6658
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: Auckland

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by GT93 » October 14, 2021, 10:33 am

Tamada might have been doing a Trump. Some commentators think Trump was at times deliberately tweeting in poor English. :lol:

Aspirins. I believe we're supposed to be discussing Aspirins rather than the ghastly apostrophe.

tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 10616
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by tamada » October 14, 2021, 4:37 pm

Declan MacPherson wrote:
October 14, 2021, 8:13 am
tamada wrote:
October 13, 2021, 11:46 pm

You're American. You're poor grammar and comprehension is a given.
A know-it-all gets it wrong. I believe it is 'YOUR poor grammar', and I comprehend that pretty well. But I can forgive poor usage. It is common for the common folk.

Not sweating it though. I would have to care what you think. Ooops. You think? I guess you do not think so good after all. :lol:
Hooked another grammer cop. Who woulda thunk it would be God's gift to UM, eh? Anyway, up yours.

Eternally over your head,
tam

User avatar
Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com
Posts: 696
Joined: June 2, 2019, 5:59 pm

Re: Aspirin and heart attacks

Post by Declan MacPherson » October 14, 2021, 5:07 pm

tamada wrote:
October 14, 2021, 4:37 pm
Hooked another grammer cop. Who woulda thunk it would be God's gift to UM, eh? Anyway, up yours.

Eternally over your head,
tam
You were the one playing grammar cop. Remember?
You're American. You're poor grammar and comprehension is a given.
That's also the place where you perfectly executed poor usage (you're/your). Apparently, it's way over your head, as is spelling. "grammer"? :lol:

Hope you have a wonderful day.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

Post Reply

Return to “Health & Beauty”