iCloud File Recovery, Is It Possible?

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Niggly
udonmap.com
Location: Living in Doug’s Flop House Head rent free. It’s nice, lots of empty space

Re: iCloud File Recovery, Is It Possible?

Post by Niggly » July 18, 2021, 9:45 am

tamada wrote:
July 17, 2021, 10:39 pm

Working with or otherwise hosting MS documents on the iCloud? I see. As the Dixie Chicks sang...

Hope this helps.
There’s no fuggin Dixie Chicks anywhere near my cloud

Coordinator for Tesco Lotus Boxing Events, fun times, eh

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 18, 2021, 10:40 am

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » July 19, 2021, 8:30 am

Niggly wrote:
July 18, 2021, 9:43 am
This only appears to refer to apple app created files ie Pages & Numbers.
These options don’t seem to be available on Microsoft Office files ie Word, Excel.
OK, I'm not an Apple user so I expect you are correct. Another link here suggests 'How to Find Microsoft Office AutoRecovery Files on Your Mac' in various folders like '/Users/[YOUR USERNAME]/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery' but once again not sure if this helps in your case as I am not familiar with Apple folders.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/recover-w ... documents/

I'm a big fan of OneDrive or Dropbox for situations like this. OneDrive seems much smoother these days so I just use that.

Good luck.

Niggly
udonmap.com
Location: Living in Doug’s Flop House Head rent free. It’s nice, lots of empty space

Post by Niggly » July 19, 2021, 9:31 am

Mjkt wrote:
July 19, 2021, 8:30 am

OK, I'm not an Apple user so I expect you are correct. Another link here suggests 'How to Find Microsoft Office AutoRecovery Files on Your Mac' in various folders like '/Users/[YOUR USERNAME]/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery' but once again not sure if this helps in your case as I am not familiar with Apple folders.
Yes already tried that. It takes you to a hidden folder section where auto saved files are supposed to be but you guessed it, empty of MS Office files.

MS Office is fine with a Windows computer & Apple with Macs but even though I’m using an official MS Office for Mac program it seems to leave a lot to be desired with compatibility. There’s even a OneDrive folder I had to sign into in both Excel & Word to get going but it’s empty. It’s as though the system is getting confused where MS files are supposed to be when created/edited on the Mac so just disappear into the ether.

Thanks for still looking 👍

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 19, 2021, 9:23 pm

You should be ok using MS Office with Apple products, thousands of people will be doing the same as you.
กรรม

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 19, 2021, 9:34 pm

Yes, I’ve not had a problem with MS Office on Apple but I now think I know how it happened so can stop it in the future. Been checking this particular file every day since the issue & sure enough iCloud takes a bit to sync when opening the Mac from sleep so it’s unwise to open the file immediately. You can see the modified/opened date change as it syncs

I don’t doubt thousands of people are using it although it would be interesting to know how many of them have or had this problem. I bet most won’t even know it happens. The interface has been seamless for me with this issue obviously going unnoticed for over a year since moving to Mac until I had the problem & I had cause to look into it

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”