iCloud File Recovery, Is It Possible?

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Niggly
udonmap.com

iCloud File Recovery, Is It Possible?

Post by Niggly » July 15, 2021, 7:41 pm

I have a file I work on regularly with either my iPhone or iPad. It’s on iCloud Drive so is accessible & updates across all devices.
Today, for no particular reason I decided to work on it from my Mac, opened it up & noticed it hadn’t updated since 20th May but before I realised what was going on it auto saved so over wrote all the data between then & today with blanks 🤬
The correct version must be somewhere in the cloud or at least be part of last nights back up so anyone know how to recover an over written file?

Cheers
Last edited by Niggly on July 17, 2021, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Re: iCloud File Recovery, Is It Possible

Post by DuiDui49 » July 15, 2021, 7:46 pm

Niggly wrote:
July 15, 2021, 7:41 pm
I have a file I work on regularly with either my iPhone or iPad. It’s on iCloud Drive so is accessible & updates across all devices.
Today, for no particular reason I decided to work on it from my Mac, opened it up & noticed it hadn’t updated since 20th May but before I realised what was going on it auto saved so over wrote all the data between then & today with blanks 🤬
The correct version must be somewhere in the cloud or at least be part of last nights back up so anyone know how to recover an over written file?

Cheers
https://www.anyrecover.com/deleted-file ... D_BwE#tip3

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » July 15, 2021, 8:04 pm

Something is not right. The sync is done from the latest file available therefore in your case the sync should had been done from the CLOUD file to your MAC.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 15, 2021, 8:16 pm

the-monk wrote:
July 15, 2021, 8:04 pm
Something is not right. The sync is done from the latest file available therefore in your case the sync should had been done from the CLOUD file to your MAC.
I know, confused me all day.
I’ve now noticed a random collection of other files dated 20 May on my Mac when there should be more up to date versions.
The odd thing is it’s not the entire iCloud Drive, some files have updated correctly & some haven’t.

Cheers Alfie
I’m downloading that suggestion now. The only drawback I foresee seems to be there isn’t a mobile version where the correct dated file was. I’m guessing the Mac version will only see files that haven’t been downloaded correctly which it the problem

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 15, 2021, 9:33 pm

Nope, didn't work. As suspected, it can only search the computer discs which weren't updated. It doesn't seem able to access iCloud even though it can be selected.

Thanks anyway Alfie

Back to the drawing board

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » July 16, 2021, 7:32 am

Niggly wrote:
July 15, 2021, 9:33 pm
Nope, didn't work. As suspected, it can only search the computer discs which weren't updated. It doesn't seem able to access iCloud even though it can be selected.

Thanks anyway Alfie

Back to the drawing board
Morning my friend !

"Recover files deleted from iCloud Drive or iWorks apps
You can recover files that you have deleted from iCloud Drive or iWorks apps in the last 30 days, whether you deleted them on iCloud.com or on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or Windows computer.

In iCloud Drive on iCloud.com, click Last Deleted at the bottom right of the window.

Click Restore All or select each file you want to restore and then click Restore.

Recover files deleted from other apps
You can recover files that you have deleted from other apps in the last 30 days, whether you deleted them from iCloud.com or your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or Windows computer.

In Settings on iCloud.com, click Recover Files (under Advanced).

Select each file you want to recreate or select Select All.

Click Recreate.

Search for recovered files in the folders they were in when you deleted them. For example, if a file was in the Pages folder when you deleted it, this is where you should search for the recovered file.

Learn how to use iCloud Drive on iCloud.com on a mobile or tablet.

See also
Apple Support Article: Recreate previous versions of iWork documents
Delete files in iCloud Drive on iCloud.com
Delete and restore photos and videos on iCloud.com"

//Alfie

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 16, 2021, 7:39 am

DuiDui49 wrote:
July 16, 2021, 7:32 am

Morning my friend !

"Recover files deleted from iCloud Drive or iWorks apps
You can recover files that you have deleted from iCloud Drive or iWorks apps in the last 30 days, whether you deleted them on iCloud.com or on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or Windows computer.

In iCloud Drive on iCloud.com, click Last Deleted at the bottom right of the window.

Click Restore All or select each file you want to restore and then click Restore.

Recover files deleted from other apps
You can recover files that you have deleted from other apps in the last 30 days, whether you deleted them from iCloud.com or your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or Windows computer.

In Settings on iCloud.com, click Recover Files (under Advanced).

Select each file you want to recreate or select Select All.

Click Recreate.

Search for recovered files in the folders they were in when you deleted them. For example, if a file was in the Pages folder when you deleted it, this is where you should search for the recovered file.

Learn how to use iCloud Drive on iCloud.com on a mobile or tablet.

See also
Apple Support Article: Recreate previous versions of iWork documents
Delete files in iCloud Drive on iCloud.com
Delete and restore photos and videos on iCloud.com"

//Alfie
Morning Alfie
This only works for deleted files.
My file auto saved so was overwritten not deleted so it doesn’t appear in the file recovery section of iCloud.com

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 16, 2021, 10:03 am

Well I think that’s screwed it.
All my thoughts of recovering the file to Wednesday from the back up made me forget a fundamental step, stop further back ups 🤨
Everything auto backed up last night so the correct file I thought was in the cloud has now been written over. Ar$e 🤬

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 16, 2021, 12:32 pm

Post disparaging comments about apple products and anything iSomething [here]

Post response about similar happenstances on Azure and anything by Microsoft [here]

Post rant about Google watching and controlling your life [here]

I realize that in the past dozen years or so, I have morphed from being the geek guy who upgraded relentlessly and knew all the quick fixes and workarounds to the Luddite who eschews anything vaguely cloudy, including Weißbierr, and totes a 1Tb backup drive chock full of badly named and otherwise irrelevant backups around.

It's a bugger when something that's supposed to work automatically doesn't and stuff gets lost. During the year in limbo, all the computer's under my watch were upgraded to W10 but I shied away from MS's increasing clamor to share settings across platforms and devices. This heretical view was justified when I suddenly lost my Skype. I don't use Skype much but there's a few fossils I keep in touch with that don't know anything but Skype. I recently had to install MS Teams for a chat session with a client and that's when one needs to have your Windows account all set up. The Teams event went well but a week later, when I went to use Skype, the password didn't work. When I finally logged in with the 'new' account details needed for Teams, my Skype configuration, history, messages and contacts were gone. After much buggering about, I logged in with the 'old' Windows log-in and all was restored in Skype. But then I get an annoying "There's something wrong with your account. Click here to fix" message from MS. When I fired up Teams again, Skype's setup flashed up on the screen before launching the Teams login page. I assume that same as a Fortuna runs on a Hilux chassis, the new-fangled Teams has simply been bolted onto the ancient Skype architecture.

Anyway, I have convinced the client that Google Meet is the best way forward, it's faster, cleaner, easier and works standalone whereas Teams looks Windows XP-ish and needs the non-MS accolyte (Outlook, Edge, etc..) to jump through too many hoops. I am sure Google is hoovering everything up and feeding Ai to make better bots but if it wasn't them, I am sure MS would be doing the same. Only slower.

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » July 16, 2021, 2:01 pm

tamada wrote:
July 16, 2021, 12:32 pm
I assume that same as a Fortuna runs on a Hilux chassis, the new-fangled Teams has simply been bolted onto the ancient Skype architecture.
Failing to grasp what this has to do with thread title? Slow day at office I guess.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 17, 2021, 12:16 am

^ Busy as all fvck actually.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Re: iCloud File Recovery, Is It Possible?

Post by Niggly » July 17, 2021, 10:22 am

tamada wrote:

💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤
Jeeezus wept, that was a waste of disc space to say you don’t know wasn’t it

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 17, 2021, 11:36 am

Niggly wrote:
July 17, 2021, 10:22 am
tamada wrote:

💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤
Jeeezus wept, that was a waste of disc space to say you don’t know wasn’t it
I knew YOU'D be impressed.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 17, 2021, 11:44 am

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 17, 2021, 6:20 pm

Have you tried re-syncing? I guess you may well have but try as below, it looks like a common problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7916295
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 17, 2021, 6:57 pm

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion Earn but it happened too quickly. As soon as the file auto saved it made the newest version on the Mac which would be synced across all devices. I quickly grabbed my phone & then iPad in the hope I could make a copy save as of the older version but I wasn’t quick enough. Turning sync on & off didn’t do anything as it was just syncing the latest version.

Interestingly though, I think the article has told me what happened so I can avoid it in future. My phone & iPad are always “on” so sync constantly. I’d only recently opened my Mac from sleep & the article suggests it takes a while for everything to sync from this state. I just need to keep my eye on any Microsoft Office files on the Mac as they’re the only ones with auto save. It’s easy enough to check the modified date now I’m aware of the delay in syncing.

Oh, & just to add, there’s plenty of terabytes free in my cloud for a plethora of extremely funny memes so hold in your disappointment Tamatha, it’s all still good in that department

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 17, 2021, 8:56 pm

OK, good drills.

Stand easy.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 17, 2021, 10:39 pm

Niggly wrote:
July 17, 2021, 6:57 pm
Yeah, thanks for the suggestion Earn but it happened too quickly. As soon as the file auto saved it made the newest version on the Mac which would be synced across all devices. I quickly grabbed my phone & then iPad in the hope I could make a copy save as of the older version but I wasn’t quick enough. Turning sync on & off didn’t do anything as it was just syncing the latest version.

Interestingly though, I think the article has told me what happened so I can avoid it in future. My phone & iPad are always “on” so sync constantly. I’d only recently opened my Mac from sleep & the article suggests it takes a while for everything to sync from this state. I just need to keep my eye on any Microsoft Office files on the Mac as they’re the only ones with auto save. It’s easy enough to check the modified date now I’m aware of the delay in syncing.

Oh, & just to add, there’s plenty of terabytes free in my cloud for a plethora of extremely funny memes so hold in your disappointment Tamatha, it’s all still good in that department
Working with or otherwise hosting MS documents on the iCloud? I see. As the Dixie Chicks sang...

Hope this helps.

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » July 18, 2021, 9:35 am

I never go near the Apple o/s but on systems like Onedrive and Dropbox you can recover up to a months worth of previous versions of files you might have overwritten by mistake. Cannot you do it on Apple? This link suggests you can and in this day and age I'd be surprised if you couldn't!?

https://support.dwu.edu/support/solutio ... ve-on-ipad
Last edited by Mjkt on July 19, 2021, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 18, 2021, 9:43 am

Mjkt wrote:
July 18, 2021, 9:35 am
I never go near the Apple o/s but on systems like Overdrive and Dropbox you can recover up to a months worth of previous versions of files you might have overwritten by mistake. Cannot you do it on Apple? This link suggests you can and in this day and age I'd be surprised if you couldn't!?

https://support.dwu.edu/support/solutio ... ve-on-ipad
This only appears to refer to apple app created files ie Pages & Numbers.
These options don’t seem to be available on Microsoft Office files ie Word, Excel.

Ironically, I’ve been using Dropbox for years until I left work last year giving me no need for Windows computers. I bought a Mac making all my devices Apple & transferred all my cloud storage to iCloud.

Thanks for the suggestion though
Last edited by Niggly on July 18, 2021, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”