weekend classes or home tutoring

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

weekend classes or home tutoring

Post by runrunshaw » June 26, 2021, 12:39 pm

My seven-year-old son wants more training in computers. My 9-year-old daughter wants keyboard lessons. Not interested in Yamaha at Central plaza. Any helpful recommendations appreciated.

The best gadget is the human brain.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: weekend classes or home tutoring

Post by Khun Paul » June 27, 2021, 7:10 am

Find a Home tutor, they can make lessons to suit, not just this is the course scenario.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 27, 2021, 11:36 am

runrunshaw wrote:
June 26, 2021, 12:39 pm
My seven-year-old son wants more training in computers. My 9-year-old daughter wants keyboard lessons. Not interested in Yamaha at Central plaza. Any helpful recommendations appreciated.
How is your son's english? I am considering giving free lessons for thai kids but would be in a small group.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 27, 2021, 4:10 pm

despite someone saying my answer was stupid , the reason for advocating Home tutoring is that not every child is at the same level of whatever they are learning and as you have two children of different ages and probably abilities them having lessons tailored to their ability will benefit them more .

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » June 27, 2021, 5:34 pm

Whistler wrote:
June 27, 2021, 11:36 am
How is your son's english? I am considering giving free lessons for thai kids but would be in a small group.
Don't forget about the work permit regulations. Even if you are not paid, they still apply.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 27, 2021, 8:15 pm

Udon Map wrote:
June 27, 2021, 5:34 pm
Whistler wrote:
Don't forget about the work permit regulations. Even if you are not paid, they still apply.
Thanks for that and worth being careful. I am guessing that as nobody makes a cent out of genuinely free lessons it would be hard to construe this as work.... But the again, TIT
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » June 27, 2021, 8:34 pm

Whistler wrote:
June 27, 2021, 8:15 pm
Udon Map wrote:
June 27, 2021, 5:34 pm
Whistler wrote:
Thanks for that and worth being careful. I am guessing that as nobody makes a cent out of genuinely free lessons it would be hard to construe this as work.... But the again, TIT
Actually, the regulations are pretty specific. Doesn't matter one whit whether you're being paid or not. What matters is what you're doing. Somewhere on a Thai government website is a pretty detailed definition of what constitutes "work."

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 27, 2021, 8:54 pm

Thanks for that. I will have a good look. I understand that if there is payment made at any level, it is work, but not that simple. The key being any exchange of bhat for any type of service. If moolah is absent, then should be OK, but I will apply to Thai authorities before we take this further as even charity or nonpaid work is covered by permits.

Invitation to all all here, to register interest pending authority to proceed, I will let everybody know how that progresses.

if you want introductory training for family members (or yourselves), I would enjoy contributing. My Thai is awful. so reasonable English will be required.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 28, 2021, 7:37 am

Regarding the work permit regulations, it is easy to see the bigger problem here in Thaiand, even those with qualifications are automatically often dis-barred from teaching because of age and to attempt to even home school students is equally fraught .
Although judging the situation in schools and the often lax response by the Official Ministry of Education Offices in Bangkok plus schools doing whatever they want not having a Work permit, would be so risky these days and not worth the hassle.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 28, 2021, 7:37 am

Khun Paul wrote:
June 28, 2021, 7:37 am
Regarding the work permit regulations, it is easy to see the bigger problem here in Thaiand, even those with qualifications are automatically often dis-barred from teaching because of age and to attempt to even home school students is equally fraught .
Although judging the situation in schools and the often lax response by the Official Ministry of Education Offices in Bangkok plus schools doing whatever they want not having a Work permit, would be so risky these days and not worth the hassle.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 28, 2021, 10:06 am

The description of what constitutes work with regard to Thailand and Work Permits has always been 'exerting effort' so technically, most foreigners would need a WP to mow the lawn, climb the stairs or post on internet forums. A few years back they did add a whole slew of professions and skills that a foreigner could do that didn't deprive a local of work but they all still needed a WP. More recently there's been talk of digital nomads being able to work in/from Thailand without a WP.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 28, 2021, 10:33 am

Whistler wrote:
June 27, 2021, 8:54 pm
Thanks for that. I will have a good look. I understand that if there is payment made at any level, it is work, but not that simple. The key being any exchange of bhat for any type of service. If moolah is absent, then should be OK, but I will apply to Thai authorities before we take this further as even charity or nonpaid work is covered by permits.

Invitation to all all here, to register interest pending authority to proceed, I will let everybody know how that progresses.

if you want introductory training for family members (or yourselves), I would enjoy contributing. My Thai is awful. so reasonable English will be required.
I once questioned that directly and was told anything given or offered was construed as payment. eg: a meal provided was deemed payment . So unless FAMILY which may or could occupy the same house for a period of time would be okayish , but anyone outside the family or anyone else's house NOPE ...Work

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 28, 2021, 3:04 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
June 28, 2021, 10:33 am
Whistler wrote:
June 27, 2021, 8:54 pm

I once questioned that directly and was told anything given or offered was construed as payment. eg: a meal provided was deemed payment . So unless FAMILY which may or could occupy the same house for a period of time would be okayish , but anyone outside the family or anyone else's house NOPE ...Work
It's got nothing to do with reward, payment in kind or anything. It's exerting effort that is the 'are you working?' criteria here. That's why volunteering, doing something for free or doing it out of the goodness of one's heard means bugger all.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » July 1, 2021, 3:22 pm

We had a Thai teacher who was coming to the house every Saturday to teach my kids computers for 2 hours. She was great but moved back to Lopburi to be with her husband.

I'm glad my post brought up some interesting information sharing about what constitutes work. A good friend of mine fronted a band here in udon. At first they played for a small fee, but someone ratted them out. Then they tried playing at venues just for tips, but again someone ratted them out. They tried to then just play for free but we're told they couldn't do that either. The band broke up and my good friend moved back to the USA.

I'm still at a loss regarding instruction for my kids, and now that all the schools are closed I just might have to let it slide.

Both of my kids are fluent in English and Thai.
The best gadget is the human brain.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 1, 2021, 9:24 pm

I taught English at the Chiang Mai Y.M.C.A. for a number of months when I was a student at Chiang Mai University. But, that was back in the mid-80s. I never thought to ask if I could do that. The Y.M.C.A. were happy to give me a working space for free.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 1, 2021, 9:39 pm

I cannot help sorry. On making enquiries. I have to be engaged by an already approved Thai organisation. Individuals cannot qualify even as charity workers. The exception, I can engage with a charity and PAY THEM for the privilege to work for free.

Sorry to do do run run

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 1, 2021, 9:46 pm

^ Did they interview you with …….
🎶 Young man, there's a place you can go
I said, young man, when you're short on your dough
You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time 🎶
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 2, 2021, 11:49 pm

No. I can't remember that well since it happened more than ten minutes ago. I believe the Chiang Mai Y had a member who wanted to upgrade his English, and they contacted Chiang Mai U. The University asked me if I was up to the task. The student was very eagre to learn. His family were Chinghaw ('Haw'), Chinese Muslims from Yunnan Province in China. Back in the past (15th-20th A.D.), they used to run trade (clothing, opium, weapons) between Yunnan, Burma, Lan Chang (independent Lao State centred at Luang Prabang), and Lanna (independent Kingdom centred at ChiangMai). The trade was carried back and forth by mule trains.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 3, 2021, 10:12 am

^ sorry, I forgot humour usually goes waaaay above your head
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 3, 2021, 9:16 pm

I understood your humour, and it was pretty good, and I couldn't top it. But, thanks for noticing I failed to appreciate your intent. I just didn't respond in the way you wanted. Sorry about that.

Return to “Education/Schools”