EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

General sports news and discussions.
Post Reply
User avatar
Zidane
udonmap.com
Posts: 7036
Joined: July 6, 2005, 12:24 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by Zidane » June 9, 2021, 9:44 am

The BBC had a poll as to what was the biggest ever shock result in Euros history.
The winner with 46% of the vote was England 1 Iceland 2.Personally I think the biggest shock was Belgium 1 Wales 3 in the same tournament or Greece winning the competition in 2004.

Breaking News....
In deepest Kandahar,Special Forces have rescued Euro 21 football fans being held hostage by militants....
FB_IMG_1623155728399.jpg


Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 7066
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 9, 2021, 9:48 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
June 9, 2021, 9:44 am
tamada wrote:
June 8, 2021, 7:34 pm

It was 1966... let it go.
Over the years England have always been involved in all the major tournaments alas with with minimal success .. except for 1966 ..AND RECENTLY WC 2018 semi finalists .. so Tammy please remind me again of the Scottish footballing achievements.

Reading this morning some real experts (not youtubers) such as Sven Goran Erikson predicting England to win the Euros , i wish i shared ther optimism.

Heres a bit of nostalgia Tam , first link is marvelous 1955 ..the crowd shots , the difference in the game and the brilliance of Sir Stanley Mathews who later went on to become a turkey farmer... it will prepare you for the 19th June.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4dCzOBUBd4

more recent 1996

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y45fNsKqeKI

and even

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcnmC9BD41A


Let it go Tam :lol: :lol:

DM
Zidane wrote:
June 9, 2021, 9:44 am
The BBC had a poll as to what was the biggest ever shock result in Euros history.
The winner with 46% of the vote was England 1 Iceland 2.Personally I think the biggest shock was Belgium 1 Wales 3 in the same tournament or Greece winning the competition in 2004.

Breaking News....
In deepest Kandahar,Special Forces have rescued Euro 21 football fans being held hostage by militants....
FB_IMG_1623155728399.jpg
Oh my lord .. no wonder Tams not posted today ...YET ..

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 7066
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 9, 2021, 9:54 am

i just spotted Tam in the crowd .. 3 mins 5 secs in the vid below .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4dCzOBUBd4

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
Zidane
udonmap.com
Posts: 7036
Joined: July 6, 2005, 12:24 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by Zidane » June 9, 2021, 10:25 am

Is he the one with the beret ??😂👍
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 7066
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 9, 2021, 10:30 am

Zidane wrote:
June 9, 2021, 10:25 am
Is he the one with the beret ??😂👍
Thats him mate ..

Fantastic crowds scenes .. packed in like sardines over 100k for that game...and interesting the kits and style of play even the ball .. great vid..unless your a Jock.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 13950
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2021, 11:11 am

I thought he was the one "bottling it" ........ Manns 2% Brown Ale no doubt

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 13950
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2021, 11:29 am

Reminded me of my first ever trip to Hampden Park and the first "Final" I ever went to ....... and Frankfurt had just put TWELVE past Rangers over two legs :-"


User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 9849
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by tamada » June 9, 2021, 11:39 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
June 9, 2021, 9:44 am
tamada wrote:
June 8, 2021, 7:34 pm

It was 1966... let it go.
Over the years England have always been involved in all the major tournaments alas with with minimal success .. except for 1966 ..AND RECENTLY WC 2018 semi finalists .. so Tammy please remind me again of the Scottish footballing achievements.

Reading this morning some real experts (not youtubers) such as Sven Goran Erikson predicting England to win the Euros , i wish i shared ther optimism.

Heres a bit of nostalgia Tam , first link is marvelous 1955 ..the crowd shots , the difference in the game and the brilliance of Sir Stanley Mathews who later went on to become a turkey farmer... it will prepare you for the 19th June.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4dCzOBUBd4

more recent 1996

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y45fNsKqeKI

and even

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcnmC9BD41A


Let it go Tam :lol: :lol:

DM
There you go again. The images of fleeting English glory and their subsequent failure to turn up forever seared into the memory whereas for the Scots, after qualifying for 8 World Cups including 5-in-a-row, their subsequent two-and-a-bit decades of underachievement means we will always have something better to look forward to.



Thanks for the videos though. Great stuff. Makes a change from recycled pictures of girls from competitions that England crashed and burned in. You may have noticed that over the decades, the score lines have gotten closer? My favorite is from 1977 when Scotland won the Home Championships after beating England at Wembley, the third team to stitch up the three lions on their home turf that year. How the mighty had fallen.



Yes, England may have 'invented' the current form of the game but Scotland and Scots-born players and managers continue to finesse and raise the standards globally. After getting the Staggies promoted to the Scottish Premiership and the Shrimps into League 1, Derek Adams is off back to rescue the Bantams in League 2. I mean, everyone agrees that McCall's failure at Scunthorpe was solely due to the piss poor material and the £2 10/6 budget he was forced to work with.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 9849
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by tamada » June 9, 2021, 11:43 am

Zidane wrote:
June 9, 2021, 9:44 am
The BBC had a poll as to what was the biggest ever shock result in Euros history.
The winner with 46% of the vote was England 1 Iceland 2.Personally I think the biggest shock was Belgium 1 Wales 3 in the same tournament or Greece winning the competition in 2004.

Breaking News....
In deepest Kandahar,Special Forces have rescued Euro 21 football fans being held hostage by militants....
FB_IMG_1623155728399.jpg
Yes, sorry I'm a bit late today. We had to get extra Lysol in after exfiltrating that bunch of split-tails.

As granny used to say, "Son, there's only two things that smell like fish and one of them's fish."

dunroaming
udonmap.com
Posts: 1756
Joined: July 14, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by dunroaming » June 9, 2021, 11:58 am

tamada wrote:
June 9, 2021, 11:43 am
Zidane wrote:
June 9, 2021, 9:44 am
The BBC had a poll as to what was the biggest ever shock result in Euros history.
The winner with 46% of the vote was England 1 Iceland 2.Personally I think the biggest shock was Belgium 1 Wales 3 in the same tournament or Greece winning the competition in 2004.

Breaking News....
In deepest Kandahar,Special Forces have rescued Euro 21 football fans being held hostage by militants....
FB_IMG_1623155728399.jpg
Yes, sorry I'm a bit late today. We had to get extra Lysol in after exfiltrating that bunch of split-tails.

As granny used to say, "Son, there's only two things that smell like fish and one of them's fish."
Tams fingers being the other one after a spot of ironing

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 7066
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 9, 2021, 12:03 pm

tamada wrote:
June 9, 2021, 11:43 am
Zidane wrote:
June 9, 2021, 9:44 am
The BBC had a poll as to what was the biggest ever shock result in Euros history.
The winner with 46% of the vote was England 1 Iceland 2.Personally I think the biggest shock was Belgium 1 Wales 3 in the same tournament or Greece winning the competition in 2004.

Breaking News....
In deepest Kandahar,Special Forces have rescued Euro 21 football fans being held hostage by militants....
FB_IMG_1623155728399.jpg
Yes, sorry I'm a bit late today. We had to get extra Lysol in after exfiltrating that bunch of split-tails.

As granny used to say, "Son, there's only two things that smell like fish and one of them's fish."
Grimsby being the other ,...

I would ov bet my favourite right testicle you post the Scotland win at Wemberlee in 77..and the subsequent disgraceful scenes of hooligans nicking the turf and breaking goal posts... i was 12 and the images still haunt me today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjY6k5aTgik

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 7066
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 9, 2021, 9:28 pm

Harry Maguire unable to train due to ankle ligament injury and looks like he would only be fit at the latter stages of the tournament .. if at all ...so Southgate .. .. DM says get him.replaced add an extra midfielder n play with a back 3 n wing backs .. go for the juggular especially the Jock Jugg

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 13950
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2021, 10:33 pm

I'm confused ........... What is this "latter stages" Southgate keeps going on about?

Surely, If he misses the first 4 games ......... he's missed the tournament.

or has nobody told him the last time England beat any of the "top sides" in any finals was 1966 (see tam for details or check it out yourself)

Just to be clear b4 someone says we beat Spain or Germany in a meaningless "dead rubber" by finals I mean the knock out stages not the micky mouse rounds that they let the likes of Scotland play in

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 9849
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by tamada » June 10, 2021, 9:34 am

Hey! Enough wi' a' this Mickey Moose drivel!

Scotland plays football. Walt Disnae.

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 7066
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 10, 2021, 9:36 am

The start of the Euros is nearly upon us .. looking forward to it and should catch quite a few games as the ko times are too bad with only one fixture at stupid oclock time... lets hope the tournament is a success with no covid out breaks etc.. and hopefully no taking the knee every game .. IMO its become tedious,

Related wokey story coming out of the womens volleyball nations being held in Italy .. a Serbian player banned for making a racist gesture to a Thai player... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otUupa5nhY4 at one time this would be much to do about nothing alas in todays soft cock lefty world it appears to be abig deal.

CAMORN ENGERLAND ... cant wait to stuff the Jocks

Not many UM members offered a winners prediction for the Euros ..im sticking with Belgium.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

dunroaming
udonmap.com
Posts: 1756
Joined: July 14, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by dunroaming » June 10, 2021, 9:58 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
June 10, 2021, 9:36 am
The start of the Euros is nearly upon us .. looking forward to it and should catch quite a few games as the ko times are too bad with only one fixture at stupid oclock time... lets hope the tournament is a success with no covid out breaks etc.. and hopefully no taking the knee every game .. IMO its become tedious,

Related wokey story coming out of the womens volleyball nations being held in Italy .. a Serbian player banned for making a racist gesture to a Thai player... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otUupa5nhY4 at one time this would be much to do about nothing alas in todays soft cock lefty world it appears to be abig deal.

CAMORN ENGERLAND ... cant wait to stuff the Jocks

Not many UM members offered a winners prediction for the Euros ..im sticking with Belgium.

DM
Hopefully anyone apart from Engerland wins as will become tedious hearing about it for the next 50 years

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 7066
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 10, 2021, 12:37 pm

This has to be a joke ... Sky sports interview with the one n only Craig Brown in which he insists Scotland can WIN Euro 20/21 .. obviously hes been on the top shelf.. some of the comments under the vid are excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOUUKktnFBE

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 9849
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by tamada » June 10, 2021, 6:10 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
June 10, 2021, 12:37 pm
This has to be a joke ... Sky sports interview with the one n only Craig Brown in which he insists Scotland can WIN Euro 20/21 .. obviously hes been on the top shelf.. some of the comments under the vid are excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOUUKktnFBE

DM
Thanks DM. That's 6:25 of my life I'll never get back.

I will be listening to BBC Radio Scotland's famous football pundits Stuart Cosgrove and Tam Cowan with their knowledgeable pre-game analyses and fact-based and realistic game predictions on their 'Off the Ball' show. As Tam says, "We best that we can hope for is that the Scots manage to avoid playing Brazil in the final."
.
off the ball.jpg
The most petty and ill-informed football show on radio!
off the ball.jpg (58.09 KiB) Viewed 202 times

User avatar
smellyellie
udonmap.com
Posts: 33
Joined: June 9, 2012, 1:40 pm

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by smellyellie » June 10, 2021, 8:55 pm

92736F69-859D-49E3-B810-F0053B56E7DD.jpeg

User avatar
Zidane
udonmap.com
Posts: 7036
Joined: July 6, 2005, 12:24 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by Zidane » June 11, 2021, 11:18 am

The tournament proper kicks off today so we are down to the serious stuff.
First game is Italy v Turkey at 8pm(BST) which is 2am Saturday here in Thailand.
Other matches Thai times this weekend include...

Wales v Switzerland 8pm Sat.
Denmark v Finland 11pm Sat.

Belgium v Russia 2am Sun.
ENGLAND v Croatia 8pm Sun.

Wales had a superb tournament last time around reaching the semi finals. To progress from this years group they really need to beat Switzerland on Saturday... won't be easy.

So time to stop the DIY in the house, pottering in the garden doing the washing and ironing and pour a cold beer whilst watching the game on your sofa.
FB_IMG_1556432281763.jpg
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Post Reply

Return to “World Sports”