Post by Doodoo » March 17, 2021, 2:57 pm

"Water Splashing Banned During Songkran Festival"

https://chiangmaione.com/featured/water ... n-festival

Songkran has been downgraded

AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: Songkran 2021

Post by AlexO » March 17, 2021, 5:25 pm

Visitors can enjoy mega waves and the night-time atmosphere at the water park, with a projection screen made of water, product booths and special dishes mixed with cannabis to be offered, Mr Sompitak said.
From the link from Doodoo.
So dope is now totally legal in Thailand????? No water splashing but get off your head on weed.?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 18, 2021, 7:04 am

Let us get this straight Songkran has NOT been downgraded, just a return to what it once was and is supposed to be a Gentle local friendly pouring water ( small amounts ) over people which represents washing away all manner of unwanted things as well as paying service to your elders.

Now that I enjoyed two or three times when I first arrived since then is has dengenerated ionto0 a massive alcohol and water filled festival using thousands of vehicles cuasing absoluite chaos on certain roads and causing damamge to verious electronic equipment because the participants seem unable to identify those that are goping about their normal business and those that wish to engage ion water battles often.
One of my friends eventually got money from a family that deliberatel;y threw water over him, while he was walking down the road on his way to a friends house and damaged his rather ewxpensive phone to the extent it stopped working .
That family laughed until they got the bill from a lawyer.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 19, 2021, 8:57 am

If you thought Thailand's Songkran celebration is way OTT, the Myanmar party is a real eye opener. Downright scary in most places. It's like one of them Isaan temple fairs where the drunk and drugged youth end up having running battles multiplied by 10,000.

Anyhoo, nice to see them try and get it restored to a more traditional way of celebrating here. I guess if things do get out of hand, they can't blame trashy, ignorant tourists.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » March 19, 2021, 12:28 pm

Water scarcity is a global threat that is estimated to hit Thailand hard by 2025.

Why would any SANE society allow a festival that promotes wasting a resource that you are running out of.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 19, 2021, 12:45 pm

Where does it go? water is always on a Cycle
"Earth's water is always in movement, and the natural water cycle, also known as the hydrologic cycle, describes the continuous movement of water on, above, and below the surface of the Earth. Water is always changing states between liquid, vapor, and ice, with these processes happening in the blink of an eye and over millions of years."

It doesnt disappear

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » March 19, 2021, 12:48 pm

Doodoo wrote:
March 19, 2021, 12:45 pm
"Earth's water is always in movement, and the natural water cycle, also known as the hydrologic cycle, describes the continuous movement of water on, above, and below the surface of the Earth. Water is always changing states between liquid, vapor, and ice, with these processes happening in the blink of an eye and over millions of years."

It doesnt disappear
Er.. it does get polluted and toxic and unusable for human consumption.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 19, 2021, 1:23 pm

you didnt say that READ
How does one pollute or make water toxic but putting it on ones body?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 19, 2021, 1:30 pm

Doodoo wrote:
March 19, 2021, 1:23 pm
you didnt say that READ
How does one pollute or make water toxic but putting it on ones body?
Well I sure as hell wouldn't chance drinking it after it was on your body =; :-&

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 19, 2021, 1:45 pm

Didnt say it had to be drinkable you said that

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 19, 2021, 2:12 pm

Any water drunk from the body will be toxic and undrinkable (possible exception may be in the shower cubicle in Spankys :-k )

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » April 5, 2021, 7:59 pm

Section of new Bang Pa-in Korat highway to open during Songkran.
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/new-korat- ... -songkran/

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 5, 2021, 8:18 pm

Doodoo wrote:

It doesnt disappear
Sure

https://sciencenordic.com/chemistry-cli ... er/1462713
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » April 6, 2021, 6:47 am

Keep telling my missus when she insists on drinking bottle water here in Aus.
The water that is here now could well have been elephant p**ss, including your so called "natural spring water".

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 6, 2021, 7:11 am

Can't wait for the village to be inundated with the usual hordes on travelers from Bangkok and the South.
Hope the Udon public hospital is prepared for a sharp rise in Covid-19 cases.

I ask:- Why hasn't the Songkran festivities been heavily curtailed as it was last year. The pandemic in Thailand is MUCH worse now than April 2020.

I'm going into self isolation!
Call me paranoid? = You betcha.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » April 6, 2021, 8:08 am

I agree. The authorities should discourage people from leaving the infected areas.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 7, 2021, 6:46 am

Whistler wrote:
April 5, 2021, 8:18 pm
Doodoo wrote:

It doesnt disappear
Sure

https://sciencenordic.com/chemistry-cli ... er/1462713
I remember reading once and watching a Video of a small Dutch town that underwent a complete transformation in that it wanted to reduce its need to remove water from the local river. so it installed a whole renewable and cleansing system FOR ALL water used in the town. From Toilet waste to washing up water, after the initial 10000 litre removal from the river , all water, used went through many cleansing and filtration systems to eventually allow it to be drunk from the tap . The town now only takes 300 litres from the river to top up its system lost due to naturally losing it through evaporation ( hot weather etc ). So you are in fact possibly drinking, Urine or even washing up water.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 7, 2021, 8:30 am

Good info Khun Paul. A tad ironic for the Dutch to do this, I have not spent many days in that country when it did not rain. It is the dryer countries that need more of this type of initiative, Dr Tony Sidwell, Professor Emeritus QUT, USA, Heriott Watts and Birmingham is a world renknowned expert on sustainable housing. He built a 'smart House' in Adelaid in the late 1980's using reed ponds to filter grey water.. The final water quality was excellent but local laws would not allow the water to be recycled as tap water, but it could only be used for toilets. It could not even be used for watering the lawns. Crazy Eh?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » April 7, 2021, 8:35 am

Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, Thailand’s Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul said that anyone returning to their home province for Songkran does not need to quarantine.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 17, 2021, 1:28 pm

Interesting read

Day 6: 29 deaths, 310 injuries
Drink-driving, speeding continue to be major causes

BANGKOK POST
PUBLISHED : 16 APR 2021 AT 15:52

Motorists start heading for Bangkok from Nakhon Ratchasima province, causing some traffic jam on Mittraphap Road, on Friday. (Photo supplied by Prasit Tangprasert)
Twenty-nine people died and 310 injured in 313 road accidents on Thursday, the sixth day of the seven-day Songkran road safety campaign.
When compared to the data in 2019, when the information was last kept, the numbers dropped in all three categories (see chart). Travel was banned during the Covid-19 lockdown during the Songkran holiday in 2020.

The provinces that saw the most road fatalities on Thursday were Kanchanaburi, Chiang Mai, Nakhon Ratchasima, Rayong and Nong Khai, reporting two each.

Over the past six days, the death toll from road accidents stood at 238, led by Chiang Mai (9) and followed by Bangkok, Khon Kaen, Chon Buri, Nakhon Ratchasima and Pathum Thani, with eight each.

The eight provinces that saw no deaths were Kamphaeng Phet, Chumphon, Phangnga, Mae Hong Son, Lampang, Sa Kaeo, Sing Buri and Ubon Ratchathani. 
During the period, the main causes of most accidents were drink-driving, accounting for 38.2% of all accidents, speeding (27.4%), cutting off others (17%) and poor visibility (13.5%).
Motorcycles were involved in the most accidents (79.3%), followed by pickup trucks (6.9%).
The time of day when the most accidents occurred was 4pm to 8pm (29.7%), followed by 12pm to 4pm (20.9%).    
Two million vehicles were stopped for checking by authorities over the past six days and 394,000 drivers were charged, mainly with not having driver's licences, failing to wear helmets and speeding, respectively.
(For Skidermarink’s benefit, notice the source is quoted & I’m not trying to pass this off as my own work)
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Return to “Thailand News”