PHONES

General Udon Thani topics only!
Doodoo
udonmap.com

PHONES

Post by Doodoo » March 6, 2021, 9:55 pm

Phones are not Phones anymore they are "I really dont want to see you or hear you anymore I more interested in what is going on in my Magical Box"
We have a get together where people showed up of course with there Magical Box. Being the person I am plus paying for the food and drink I ask politely, one person the 5th time over a year and one new lady twice to put the phone away both time expalining why.
This is not unusual here in Thailand but the World.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: PHONES

Post by Khun Paul » March 7, 2021, 6:01 am

Typical current ignorant actions by uneducated people sadly, same all over the world . Unable to interact on a personal level with other people, prefer hiding behind an electronic device. Very insecure people.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 7, 2021, 8:24 am

It's not the PHONES per se. It's more about what's ON the phones. If some choose to ignore their elderly, farang dinner host, I would suggest best to stop setting oneself up for such repeated disappointments.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 7, 2021, 8:26 am

Thanks for the suggestion I will make sure it hits the bottom of the pile

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 7, 2021, 9:06 am

^ I'm serious. You're getting older and your blood pressure doesn't really need to be tested over the dinner table does it? Even if hypertension isn't an issue, life's too short already to get bent out of shape over the global cultural shift wrought of social media and hand-held devices. Up to you though.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 7, 2021, 11:50 am

I used to check my phone twice during a movie & now I check the movie twice during my phone
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » March 7, 2021, 12:43 pm

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 7, 2021, 2:11 pm

When my stepson and his wife and my stepdaughter come over for a visit, we all gather around the dinner table for a bit of food and conversation. The phones come out immediately, and I'm sure one reason is because neither speak English (and I don't speak Thai); so, rather than feel awkward and embarrassed to have a conversation with me, it's much easier for them to hide behind their phones. I simply excuse myself from the table and go rest in front of my computer. It's terribly irritating to say the least, but asking them to put their phones up simply wouldn't go over well in my case.

In DOODOO's case I would have done the same thing or ended the date if they didn't comply. In my younger days I have been known to go to the toilet and not come back to the table. It was always my way or the highway, but I have since mellowed a bit. Ha!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 7, 2021, 2:25 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
March 7, 2021, 2:11 pm
When my stepson and his wife and my stepdaughter come over for a visit, we all gather around the dinner table for a bit of food and conversation. The phones come out immediately, and I'm sure one reason is because neither speak English (and I don't speak Thai); so, rather than feel awkward and embarrassed to have a conversation with me, it's much easier for them to hide behind their phones. I simply excuse myself from the table and go rest in front of my computer. It's terribly irritating to say the least, but asking them to put their phones up simply wouldn't go over well in my case.

In DOODOO's case I would have done the same thing or ended the date if they didn't comply. In my younger days I have been known to go to the toilet and not come back to the table. It was always my way or the highway, but I have since mellowed a bit. Ha!
Hope you remembered to "c b" on the way out ........... mind you if she was left to pick up the tab, she wouldn't ignore anyone again :lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 8, 2021, 12:23 am

semperfiguy wrote:
March 7, 2021, 2:11 pm

Doodoo was on a date?!

Pictures or it never happened.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 8, 2021, 5:38 am

What you Paparazzi working for The Sun now
You need to get a real job

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 8, 2021, 5:55 am

Having a conversation when either party can't speak the same language is a tad difficult, but escaping to your computer is probably a clue to those at the table that it's 'okay now to burrow ourselves in our phones'. My mother and father would escape into a conversation in Polish, even though both were US born.

With the exception of your neighborhood noodle stand, it's the 'in-thing' to 'share' one's meal with their contact list.....be it selfies or photos of the food. When I fly and don't want to hold a conversation with the person next to me, I close my eyes or watch a movie or read a magazine.
Back in 2006, my older brother was about to board his 17 hour Thai Air flight from NY to Bangkok. As he customarily did, he read his Wall Street Journal or NYT. He looked up and saw not a single person at the gate reading a newspaper.....everyone was either reading a tablet or their cell phone. Times change.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » March 8, 2021, 7:36 am

We had 25+ in for lunch yesterday . most stayed for a beer and a chat , but I did notice that no one was glued to their phone ,I sat with a group and there wasn't even a single phone on the table .
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 8, 2021, 7:48 am

papafarang wrote:
March 8, 2021, 7:36 am
We had 25+ in for lunch yesterday . most stayed for a beer and a chat , but I did notice that no one was glued to their phone ,I sat with a group and there wasn't even a single phone on the table .
And this morning, nobody can remember much of anything that was said either.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » March 8, 2021, 8:44 am

tamada wrote:
March 8, 2021, 7:48 am
papafarang wrote:
March 8, 2021, 7:36 am
And this morning, nobody can remember much of anything that was said either.
That's a side effect of drinking Chang and laughing too much
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 8, 2021, 8:58 am

Just means wont be boring next time
Sometimes pays to be a pist goldfish

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » March 8, 2021, 2:27 pm

I'm told I enjoyed myself last Sunday but honestly don't remember leaving and slept all the way home, Def a great place for a laugh and nonsense, The Sunday lunch is a other excellent reason to visit, roll on end of May

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”