Chef Ton is open

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
random thought
udonmap.com

Chef Ton is open

Post by random thought » January 6, 2019, 8:04 pm

Stopped by this place on a whim a couple of weeks ago when he first opened and was completely blown away with his Pad Thai. Best that I have seen anywhere in Thailand in over 15 years. It was so good that I thought it really wasnt real so have been back 4 times since, just as good. He only serves Pad Thai, Pad Siew Eh and one other noodle dish. Would rate his Pad Thai as artisan quality. Cost wise, the Pad Thai Goong is 80 baht and it is worth every baht, large properly cooked shrimp not the usual rubber or mushy shrimp. Not your typical vendor dish, but a real chef who takes pride in his food, not only tastes great but looks classy too. A real class act in a region of the country that doesnt have much. The restaurant is also the cleanest I have seen in Thailand. For the drinkers he does have beer too. Go there before he wises up to Udon and goes back to Singapore.

Location, not far from the airport entrance on Phrom Prakal Road across from the Arpapatchara Kindergarten

Disclaimer: I or my wife have zero financial interest in this restaurant, just want it to succeed cause lord knows there are not many places of this quality in Issan.

random thought
udonmap.com

Re: Chef Ton is open

Post by random thought » January 6, 2019, 8:04 pm

Chef Ton's.jpeg

blade450x
udonmap.com

Post by blade450x » January 7, 2019, 8:16 am

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 7, 2019, 9:16 am

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 7, 2019, 2:13 pm

We ate there for lunch....the pad thai is very good. But just 3 items on the menu....pad thai, pad see you, and lahd nha. Easy to park

random thought
udonmap.com

Post by random thought » January 7, 2019, 10:32 pm

Easy to park except when the school lets out, seem like all the parents park in the lot at the building Chef Ton is in.

blade450x
udonmap.com

Post by blade450x » January 8, 2019, 9:53 am

parrot wrote:
January 7, 2019, 2:13 pm
We ate there for lunch....the pad thai is very good. But just 3 items on the menu....pad thai, pad see you, and lahd nha. Easy to park
I went as well, Pad Thai was very good, One of the best I have tried. I had the "pad see you" it was OK but the star dish was the Pad Thai

random thought
udonmap.com

Post by random thought » January 11, 2019, 3:19 pm

blade450x wrote:
January 8, 2019, 9:53 am
parrot wrote:
I went as well, Pad Thai was very good, One of the best I have tried. I had the "pad see you" it was OK but the star dish was the Pad Thai

yes, that is my opinion too, the Pad Siew Eh is OK but the Pad Thai is outstanding.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » January 11, 2019, 4:53 pm

The menu only shows Prawn.
Can you get the 3 dishes with Chicken or Pork or are you stuck with Prawn

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » January 13, 2019, 4:10 pm

random thought wrote:
January 6, 2019, 8:04 pm
Stopped by this place on a whim a couple of weeks ago when he first opened and was completely blown away with his Pad Thai. Best that I have seen anywhere in Thailand in over 15 years. It was so good that I thought it really wasnt real so have been back 4 times since, just as good. He only serves Pad Thai, Pad Siew Eh and one other noodle dish. Would rate his Pad Thai as artisan quality. Cost wise, the Pad Thai Goong is 80 baht and it is worth every baht, large properly cooked shrimp not the usual rubber or mushy shrimp. Not your typical vendor dish, but a real chef who takes pride in his food, not only tastes great but looks classy too. A real class act in a region of the country that doesnt have much. The restaurant is also the cleanest I have seen in Thailand. For the drinkers he does have beer too. Go there before he wises up to Udon and goes back to Singapore.

Location, not far from the airport entrance on Phrom Prakal Road across from the Arpapatchara Kindergarten

Disclaimer: I or my wife have zero financial interest in this restaurant, just want it to succeed cause lord knows there are not many places of this quality in Issan.
It appears he only does 3 dishes & only Prawn.
The poeple who have been there can not comment anything different.
It also he has used the name Chef Ton after the Michelin star restaurants of Chef Ton.
His 3 dishes may be good but I can not see how a Restaurant looking as nice can survive on only 3 Prawn Dishes.
Even Market vendors who only sell noodles have a bigger variety.
Will have to go there as if he only sells 3 Prawn dishes I will leave.

https://guide.michelin.com/sg/features/ ... f-han/news

Natas

Post by Natas » January 13, 2019, 5:11 pm

My GF and I have eaten here. He has Pork and Prawn. The food was excellent and I agree some of the best Pad Thai in Udon.
Instead of assuming what he has or does not have maybe ask them. Their main focus is Thai people and Uni students that live in the area. Not Westerners.
Seriously tired of reading the moaning on this forum. If you want to moan go to another restaurant.

random thought
udonmap.com

Post by random thought » January 15, 2019, 11:41 am

yes, you can get either shrimp, pork or egg. Not just shrimp. Agree with Natas, way too much moaning here. Apparently on this forum if the poster does not post the entire menu then some lame reader will make up stuff and whine and complain. Menu clearly shows that all the dishes are available in shrimp, pork and egg, so not sure why someone would lie that the menu only says shrimp. If you are too lazy to learn to read basic Thai, such as basic food items and you dont take your translator with you, you wont get any sympathy from me.

rct
udonmap.com

Chef Ton

Post by rct » January 2, 2021, 10:26 am

Really a great place opposite Aparachara School on the road leading from Srichumchen to the airport. Ample parking in the larger chophouse complex (safer than parking right in front).

Excellent value, so clean and pleasant, presentation is premium yet at fair prices. A new favorite.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » January 3, 2021, 4:37 am

Just saw pal52 comments "only 3 dishes." NOT TRUE!

On arrival you will be presented with a menu printed on 2 sides that must have 70 to 100 dishes.

The trouble is...it's only in Thai! So, either go with a Thai, or keep your order to what you like. The pad thai is the signature dish for sure and the most popular.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » January 3, 2021, 8:30 am

parrot wrote:
It was not me who said they only had 3 dishes it wqs Parrot who actually ate there.
I looked at the menu on Facebook & they APPEARED to be only Prawn dishes at the time which is what I said.

Get you facts right and read all the posts correctly before making comments..

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 3, 2021, 8:41 am

pal52 wrote:
January 3, 2021, 8:30 am
parrot wrote:
It was not me who said they only had 3 dishes it wqs Parrot who actually ate there.
I looked at the menu on Facebook & they APPEARED to be only Prawn dishes at the time which is what I said.

Have you dined there yet?

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » January 3, 2021, 8:43 am

tamada wrote:
January 3, 2021, 8:41 am
pal52 wrote:
January 3, 2021, 8:30 am
parrot wrote:

Have you dined there yet?
NO the Restaurant closed down just after I posted.
It must have re-opened.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 3, 2021, 8:50 am

FWIW, there's a small restaurant that opened maybe 3 or 4 years ago on Soi Nongbua and Pad Thai is ALL they ever cook. It's superb, almost legendary and it never closed either.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » January 3, 2021, 9:04 am

tamada wrote:
January 3, 2021, 8:50 am
FWIW, there's a small restaurant that opened maybe 3 or 4 years ago on Soi Nongbua and Pad Thai is ALL they ever cook. It's superb, almost legendary and it never closed either.
by rct » January 3, 2021, 4:37 am

On arrival you will be presented with a menu printed on 2 sides that must have 70 to 100 dishes.

The trouble is...it's only in Thai! So, either go with a Thai, or keep your order to what you like. The pad thai is the signature dish for sure and the most popular.

My correction was on a post by rct made today,

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » January 3, 2021, 1:28 pm

All I know is... previous posts from 2 years ago might discourage people from going to Chef Ton... (including me, as we moved back here 9 months ago).

And to me Chef Ton deserves an update on Udonmap based on my repest experiences in recent weeks.

Great place when not going to Hi So eateries.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”