Bangkok protests

Thailand news, views and comments
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Bangkok protests

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 17, 2020, 1:29 pm

This expat is NOT for turning ..(Maggie Thatcher)

As all expats / non Thais residing here should be im just commenting my own opinion to the current situation Tam .. nothing more nothing less .. leave it to them it is their country... just why an expat would wish to get involved in any way shape or form is head shaking yet ive spotted a few on the TV coverage ..

My favourite colour is grey and i like Nivea roll on "cool kicks"..FOR MEN .. i assume others have different choices as is their perogative.

DM

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 17, 2020, 2:04 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
October 17, 2020, 10:23 am

.......looks like most of the protest leaders /ringleaders are now out of the picture .......... , they did come over a bit lardy , the kids that were bullied at school , the ones no one wants to sit next to , loners and a tad strange...
Interesting conclusion to draw, given your confessions on a different thread. :-k

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 17, 2020, 6:01 pm

The authorities have shut down all rapid mass transit but the protesters are still gathering at three locations in Bangkok. Also protests have been reported in seventeen provincial locations.

"As well, UFTD said parallel rallies were to be held from 4pm to 6pm in 17 provinces: Ubon Thani, Nong Khai, Roi Et, Chon Buri (Pattaya), Nakhon Pathom, Phayao, Chiang Rai, Nakhon Sawan, Kalasin, Uttaradit, Trang, Udon Thani, Nakhon Ratchasima, Surin, Sakon Nakhon, Khon Kaen and Songkhla."

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -shut-down

At ten to six, the Udon gathering is currently sheltering from the drizzle under the bamboo gazebo in tam's front yard. One small bottle of Hong Thong has already been sighted so I guess I'll be making my own dinner tonight.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » October 17, 2020, 8:53 pm

I remind you all to be very circumspect in your posts. We are guests in this country and Udon Map will follow the laws of Thailand. While Udon Map may be penalized for inappropriate posts, the people who post inappropriately are subject to criminal charges, prison, deportation, banning, etc.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » October 17, 2020, 9:22 pm

TipToe through The Tulips People

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 17, 2020, 10:50 pm

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com
Location: ຫຼວງພຣະບາງ, ວຽງຈັນ, ສະຫວັນນະເຂດ, ສ.ປ.ປ; ໂຕຮວນໂຕ (โทรอนโต), ແຄນາດາ (แคนาดา)

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 17, 2020, 11:34 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
October 17, 2020, 1:29 pm

As all expats / non Thais residing here should be im just commenting my own opinion to the current situation Tam .. nothing more nothing less .. leave it to them it is their country... just why an expat would wish to get involved in any way shape or form is head shaking yet ive spotted a few on the TV coverage ..

DM

Do you also feel that international scholars, residing in Thailand temporarily or permanently, and doing research in any number of fields, including politics and sociology, should avoid commenting on what they are seeing and hearing, for the simple fact that they are foreigners from Australia, Japan, Taiwan, the U.K., the U.S.A., India et al? Would you also advise journalists to stay away from commenting on the protests? I agree that run-of-the-mill ex-pats and tourists could find themselves in a peck of trouble if they get themselves involved.
ເຮົາຈະລ່ວງພັ້ນຄວາມຕາຍໄປ່ບໍ່ໄດ

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » October 18, 2020, 1:39 am

Anyone who is a foreigner on Thai soil, no matter what their occupation is, should be very very careful on commenting on anything involved with the government. Even those not on Thai soil who plan on coming to Thailand in the future should be very careful on putting anything in print or social media.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » October 18, 2020, 4:28 am

During the red shirt thing years back I personally knew a farang who's wife dragged him along to a yellow shirt protest ,bad move. He ended up having his picture posted ,followed by protestors parked on his doorstep. Didn't take very long for him to have to leave his village and do a runner. And he have never been able to return to his house. They don't like foreigners sticking their nose in. You might as well go around and tell Thai guys how they should treat their wives and children.
Only a fool would get involved or have any opinion on the situation
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 18, 2020, 6:52 am

Whatever many of us may or may not think about the situation in Thailand regarding the protests and the reasons, it behoves us all to reamin visibly removed from the situation in all ways.
I would add a note here, with the information that the Military are also being warmed up to interfere, it would take only one small mistake on either parties involved to make this a quiet affair to blow up in their faces .
Best advice watch from afar and make zero comments on the whys and wherefores, like when Covid struck, heads down and soldier on .
Remembering that we are not in a country whose laws are enforced fairly or equally , but in Thailand whose rules and culture basically forbid us to interfere in anything, especially politics.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 18, 2020, 8:52 am

^ And despite all that, some are still clamoring to come and stay here.

I totally agree that any personal involvement is on a hiding for nothing but don't see the harm in some open discussion and opinion as long as we don't cross the well-defined lines or get too personal. Any foreigner who happens to be down town, any town and decides or agrees to go have a look at any sort of protest needs slapping.

For varying reasons, most of us on UM have made our beds here so we make the best of it or as KP says, we "soldier on." For the life of me, I can't get my head around any post-Millennial seeing Thailand as their future home. From the visa squeeze that kicked off maybe six years ago already, the bar to qualify for any form of Thai domicile has been ratcheting up. The pandemic has simply given the government more excuses to keep out incumbent farangs as well as blocking those genuine tourists who just want to come and check out the temples, the waterfalls, Papafarang's famous Sunday carvery and the like.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 18, 2020, 2:14 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
October 17, 2020, 11:34 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
October 17, 2020, 1:29 pm

DM

Do you also feel that international scholars, residing in Thailand temporarily or permanently, and doing research in any number of fields, including politics and sociology, should avoid commenting on what they are seeing and hearing, for the simple fact that they are foreigners from Australia, Japan, Taiwan, the U.K., the U.S.A., India et al? Would you also advise journalists to stay away from commenting on the protests? I agree that run-of-the-mill ex-pats and tourists could find themselves in a peck of trouble if they get themselves involved.
LYM.. I think your argument is a bit silly .. of course the PROFESSIONAL media and respected multi national Journalists should be allowed to commentate on the current situation .. example being Jonathan Head a very experience Asean based commentator is always in the mix .. whilst under no circumstances should any expats / non Thai either visiting or residing here get involved at all in any way shape or form.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » October 18, 2020, 2:31 pm

IMO the protests are much needed and long overdue.

I notice more and more thai people talking about how things work and looking for change. Since the death of the dearly loved one, now is the time to make this change for the good of the country.

Shame we are not allowed to be a bit more direct and open to discuss this but rules are rules (for now).

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 18, 2020, 5:55 pm

The whole enchilada is predicated on aeons of feudal patronage with Amart, Prai and no middle class. You were either rich or you were poor. You were either served or did the serving.

Thaksin's populism greatly enabled a growing Thai middle class with all the usual entitlements the more educated and aware middle class gets in other countries. Subsequent governments, both "democratic" and otherwise, have had to embrace populism to stay in favor.

Some look at the current protesters and claim that see helmets and fighting gear. I see mostly casual attire, face masks, 3-finger salutes and umbrellas.

Some criticize them for disrupting other people's jobs and livelihoods. I see them assembling at the end of the working day or weekend and mostly disbanding not long after their leaders say go home around 10 p.m.

Some suggest that there will be "red shirt" tendencies with disenfranchised (and paid) provincial rough folk being bused in. I see younger, more politically and socially aware Bangkok citizens joining a peaceful demonstration either from their jobs or after dinner and before going home. There's no need for the import of armed thugs.

Either way, it's on.

phen
udonmap.com

Post by phen » October 18, 2020, 6:30 pm

100% agree with you.
They are young people with a dream off a better thailand.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 18, 2020, 6:37 pm

tamada wrote:
October 18, 2020, 5:55 pm
The whole enchilada is predicated on aeons of feudal patronage with Amart, Prai and no middle class. You were either rich or you were poor. You were either served or did the serving.

Thaksin's populism greatly enabled a growing Thai middle class with all the usual entitlements the more educated and aware middle class gets in other countries. Subsequent governments, both "democratic" and otherwise, have had to embrace populism to stay in favor.

Some look at the current protesters and claim that see helmets and fighting gear. I see mostly casual attire, face masks, 3-finger salutes and umbrellas.

Some criticize them for disrupting other people's jobs and livelihoods. I see them assembling at the end of the working day or weekend and mostly disbanding not long after their leaders say go home around 10 p.m.

Some suggest that there will be "red shirt" tendencies with disenfranchised (and paid) provincial rough folk being bused in. I see younger, more politically and socially aware Bangkok citizens joining a peaceful demonstration either from their jobs or after dinner and before going home. There's no need for the import of armed thugs.

Either way, it's on.
We must be watching different channels Tammy .. you didnt observe the many wearing motorsai helmets and ski masks ,, oh and those throwing blue paint ??.. maybe took your eye off the TV eh .. niece doing the ironing was she ??

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 18, 2020, 7:08 pm

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 18, 2020, 7:37 pm

jackspratt wrote:
October 18, 2020, 7:08 pm
On the subject of blue:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... protesters

Thats heavily diluted blue ... not neat blue paint that was thrown over officers .. its obvious which is the more dangerous.

and what might be contained therein:

Used to work as a chemist for Petrochem UK manufacturing antifreeze and brake fluids .. same dye as used in this case , harmless powder unless you snort it in powder form... at worst slight skin irritation if sensitive skin when diluted ... best way to avoid this is not to go to protest in the first place or disperse when requested to do so.

seems in very difficult circumstances the police acted with restrain and followed the law within crowd control situations so well done ..
=D>

https://chiangmaione.com/featured/polic ... er-cannons

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 18, 2020, 7:54 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
October 18, 2020, 7:37 pm

Used to work as a chemist for Petrochem UK manufacturing antifreeze and brake fluids .. same dye as used in this case , harmless powder unless you snort it in powder form... at worst slight skin irritation if sensitive skin when diluted ...

Seems you and the police are on the same page on this one. :D

best way to avoid this is not to go to protest in the first place or disperse when requested to do so.

Rather negates the point of attending a protest, does it not?

.....seems in very difficult circumstances the police acted with restrain and followed the law within crowd control situations so well done .. =D>
See above. ;)

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » October 18, 2020, 7:56 pm

tamada wrote:
October 18, 2020, 5:55 pm
The whole enchilada is predicated on aeons of feudal patronage with Amart, Prai and no middle class.
Is this some bid for a Pseuds Corner nomination?

Either way I agree, it's on.

Return to “Thailand News”