Leave That Money In the Bank - Update

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Post Reply
jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 11835
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Leave That Money In the Bank - Update

Post by jackspratt » September 15, 2020, 3:27 pm

I don't normally wander into the execrable Thai Visa, but while looking at a link on a different thread here, this popped up:
Phuket immigration denied my retirement visa renewal for not maintaining an 800,000 baht bank balance 3 months following my first visa. All other visa requirements are in order- residency, 800,000 in bank prior to applying etc.......
Worth a read for those on legitimate extensions.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/118215 ... /#comments

Of course, what happens in Phuket may not necessarily be followed in Udon Thani. ;)



User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 6741
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Leave That Money In the Bank - Update

Post by tamada » September 15, 2020, 4:05 pm

^ The guy was apparently using the 'incorrect' information from another immigration office rather than Phuket where he had filed the first extension. He dipped into the 800k within the first 3 months and lost his subsequent right to the next extension. If he still has ~800 k in his Thai account, it is more than enough to pay the local agent to make it all go away with leaving the country and other drama. According to my mate in Phuket, for about 40k a local agent can get him a nice 1-year retirement extension issued by Saraburi immigration.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com
Posts: 1151
Joined: March 15, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: Koh Samui

Re: Leave That Money In the Bank - Update

Post by DuiDui49 » September 15, 2020, 6:26 pm

tamada wrote:
September 15, 2020, 4:05 pm
^ The guy was apparently using the 'incorrect' information from another immigration office rather than Phuket where he had filed the first extension. He dipped into the 800k within the first 3 months and lost his subsequent right to the next extension. If he still has ~800 k in his Thai account, it is more than enough to pay the local agent to make it all go away with leaving the country and other drama. According to my mate in Phuket, for about 40k a local agent can get him a nice 1-year retirement extension issued by Saraburi immigration.
Holy cow Mr.Ordinary ;-)40.000 that's alot of learningmoney for him dipping in at/in/on??? savings.Heard of max 20.000 before and a friend of mine did in Phuket (5 month ago)16.000...but 40.000 :shock: :shock:
Best regards
//DuiDui
"Exercise is individual and nutrition is queen: together, you have a kingdom."

“Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues but the parent of all others.” 

"To grow and mature demands time and willingness to learn from your own misstakes"

dunroaming
udonmap.com
Posts: 1364
Joined: July 14, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: Leave That Money In the Bank - Update

Post by dunroaming » September 15, 2020, 6:31 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:
September 15, 2020, 6:26 pm
tamada wrote:
September 15, 2020, 4:05 pm
^ The guy was apparently using the 'incorrect' information from another immigration office rather than Phuket where he had filed the first extension. He dipped into the 800k within the first 3 months and lost his subsequent right to the next extension. If he still has ~800 k in his Thai account, it is more than enough to pay the local agent to make it all go away with leaving the country and other drama. According to my mate in Phuket, for about 40k a local agent can get him a nice 1-year retirement extension issued by Saraburi immigration.
Holy cow Mr.Ordinary ;-)40.000 that's alot of learningmoney for him dipping in at/in/on??? savings.Heard of max 20.000 before and a friend of mine did in Phuket (5 month ago)16.000...but 40.000 :shock: :shock:
Udon agents are currently charging 25000 baht trust me I know

pal52
udonmap.com
Posts: 993
Joined: September 18, 2013, 10:54 am

Re: Leave That Money In the Bank - Update

Post by pal52 » September 15, 2020, 6:33 pm

jackspratt wrote:
September 15, 2020, 3:27 pm
I don't normally wander into the execrable Thai Visa, but while looking at a link on a different thread here, this popped up:
Phuket immigration denied my retirement visa renewal for not maintaining an 800,000 baht bank balance 3 months following my first visa. All other visa requirements are in order- residency, 800,000 in bank prior to applying etc.......
Worth a read for those on legitimate extensions.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/118215 ... /#comments

Of course, what happens in Phuket may not necessarily be followed in Udon Thani. ;)
I was specifically told to maintain 800,000 in my bank account for 3 months after my extension in Udon.
I was also told it had to be maintained at 400,000 until 3 months before the extension was due then 800,000.
This is probably due to the not nice person who is in charge of the front office.
If you do not then expect to pay 20,000 to an agent to renew your visa.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 6741
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Leave That Money In the Bank - Update

Post by tamada » September 15, 2020, 11:10 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:
September 15, 2020, 6:26 pm
tamada wrote:
September 15, 2020, 4:05 pm
^ The guy was apparently using the 'incorrect' information from another immigration office rather than Phuket where he had filed the first extension. He dipped into the 800k within the first 3 months and lost his subsequent right to the next extension. If he still has ~800 k in his Thai account, it is more than enough to pay the local agent to make it all go away with leaving the country and other drama. According to my mate in Phuket, for about 40k a local agent can get him a nice 1-year retirement extension issued by Saraburi immigration.
Holy cow Mr.Ordinary ;-)40.000 that's alot of learningmoney for him dipping in at/in/on??? savings.Heard of max 20.000 before and a friend of mine did in Phuket (5 month ago)16.000...but 40.000 :shock: :shock:
Tell me about it. Things are hellish more expensive in Phuket but the 40k was what was recently quoted to an Aussie in Rawai who sat on the amnesty fence too long and suddenly can't get a flight back to Oz.

User avatar
Hoopoe
udonmap.com
Posts: 695
Joined: January 31, 2015, 5:15 pm

Re: Leave That Money In the Bank - Update

Post by Hoopoe » September 16, 2020, 6:37 am

pal52 wrote:
September 15, 2020, 6:33 pm

I was specifically told to maintain 800,000 in my bank account for 3 months after my extension in Udon.
I was also told it had to be maintained at 400,000 until 3 months before the extension was due then 800,000.
This is probably due to the not nice person who is in charge of the front office.
If you do not then expect to pay 20,000 to an agent to renew your visa.

Rumour has it that the Gay Mr not nice person ,,is leaving at the end of sept ,he now has enough money to pay for his promotion move down to BKK to join his boyfriend ,this coming from A bank manager and two school principals who have to deal with him , (hmm i wonder where he got his money from )

jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 11835
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: Leave That Money In the Bank - Update

Post by jackspratt » September 16, 2020, 7:24 am

Ahh! rumours ....... ain't they grand, particularly when you can spice them up with a dash of irrelevant homophobia. ;)

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 2327
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Leave That Money In the Bank - Update

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 16, 2020, 8:43 am

I was specifically told to maintain 800,000 in my bank account for 3 months after my extension in Udon.
I was also told it had to be maintained at 400,000 until 3 months before the extension was due then 800,000.
This is probably due to the not nice person who is in charge of the front office.
It is due to Udon immigration following the rules. See Criteria 4 under
7E1E4F51-DE2A-46E7-A130-0639F250339E.jpeg
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 6741
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Leave That Money In the Bank - Update

Post by tamada » September 16, 2020, 9:11 am

^ Which coincidentally is the same rule that Phuket immigration followed when the chap in the article linked in the OP was denied an extension.

The original post on TV does wander off into a discussion of the virtues of using the visa agent as a one-off to get through recent, Covid-19 related issues before reverting to more 'legal' and orthodox renewal procedures versus the perils of staying with the agent for subsequent renewals. Quite dramatic with some invoking images of breaking some perceived "grip" of the local IO and the agent in his pocket.

pal52
udonmap.com
Posts: 993
Joined: September 18, 2013, 10:54 am

Re: Leave That Money In the Bank - Update

Post by pal52 » September 16, 2020, 4:07 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
September 16, 2020, 8:43 am
I was specifically told to maintain 800,000 in my bank account for 3 months after my extension in Udon.
I was also told it had to be maintained at 400,000 until 3 months before the extension was due then 800,000.
This is probably due to the not nice person who is in charge of the front office.
It is due to Udon immigration following the rules
See Criteria 4 under

7E1E4F51-DE2A-46E7-A130-0639F250339E.jpeg
But they do not follow the rules.
You can pay 20,000 baht to an agent of which I would guess at least 10,000 goes to the not so nice man to be split up.
Then the rules about 800,000 and 400,000 do not apply.

Somchai499
udonmap.com
Posts: 74
Joined: February 6, 2012, 12:35 pm

Re: Leave That Money In the Bank - Update

Post by Somchai499 » September 16, 2020, 4:31 pm

Following up on the OPs question: I am currently using an extension based on marriage. And consider moving to an extension based on retirement, in order to simplify the process.

I understand the 800/400/800 THB rule. But I am concerned that I may need to show up at Immigration office several times a year, so they can check my compliance.

Does anybody know how Udon Thani immigration handles this?

Many thanks

pal52
udonmap.com
Posts: 993
Joined: September 18, 2013, 10:54 am

Re: Leave That Money In the Bank - Update

Post by pal52 » September 16, 2020, 5:16 pm

Somchai499 wrote:
September 16, 2020, 4:31 pm
Following up on the OPs question: I am currently using an extension based on marriage. And consider moving to an extension based on retirement, in order to simplify the process.

I understand the 800/400/800 THB rule. But I am concerned that I may need to show up at Immigration office several times a year, so they can check my compliance.

Does anybody know how Udon Thani immigration handles this?

Many thanks
I would guess the only way they will handle it is when you apply for your next extension you have to give a copy of your bankbook.
They will then go back through it and check your balance from 3 months after the extension was granted.

You have to give a statement for 3 months prior for your extension from your bank or they may also then ask for a statement for 3 months after your extension was granted.
It is not practical to check when you do your 90 day report as you can do it online.

Just to further clarify my statement.
When my wife was refused her extension (she is not Thai and attached to my Retirement Visa).
I was handed back all my paperwork and advised to see an Agent.
When I handed over the paperwork to the agent and checked it I noticed a copy of all my bankbook pages for the year.
I did not supply these so the Immigration office must have made the copies.
That is probably how they will check the money in your account.
If you do not comply with the rules they will probably tell you go see an Agent and pay the money.

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 2327
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Leave That Money In the Bank - Update

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 16, 2020, 6:58 pm

Somchai499 wrote:
September 16, 2020, 4:31 pm
Following up on the OPs question: I am currently using an extension based on marriage. And consider moving to an extension based on retirement, in order to simplify the process.

I understand the 800/400/800 THB rule. But I am concerned that I may need to show up at Immigration office several times a year, so they can check my compliance.

Does anybody know how Udon Thani immigration handles this?

Many thanks
There are few, to no people, that use the Udon office who were told last year of the rules. There are quite a few who have been told in the last few months of the rules, they have not posted a requirement to show immigration proof of money in the bank during the year.

However immigration are requiring a bank letter and a bank statement for 1 year (13 months) for those using the income method. So it is very likely that you may need a bank statement for the complete year using the deposit method. This is speculation though quite probably what will happen.

There is a current thread on TV about someone who dropped under the 800k within 3 months of getting his previous extension. His application for a new extension has just been refused as he did got have the funds required for the period required.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Post Reply

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”