Death sentences in Koh Tao killings commuted

General Udon Thani topics only!
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Death sentences in Koh Tao killings commuted

Post by semperfiguy » August 15, 2020, 8:01 am

This was on of the biggest stories of the decade, but after they were given a Royal Pardon on July 28th, there has been little mention of it. Just thought I would update the forum members.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... d#cxrecs_s

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Re: Death sentences in Koh Tao killings commuted

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 15, 2020, 8:11 am

IMHO they always appeared to be 'scapegoats' - if for nothing else the lazy, inept, corrupt and comical police investigations.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 15, 2020, 8:24 am

Some justice at last .. tho lets not forget the real perp(s) are free and probably still on Koh Tao and could happen again.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 15, 2020, 9:07 am

sentences commuted to life in prison.. Chances are they weren't going to get put to death. The question is, did they apply for the Royal Pardon? If they did and it had been denied then by the rules they would have been put to death in a very short time frame.. This happened on 18 June 2018 when a 28 year old man, Theerasak Longji convicted of robbery with a death was executed after his application for a Royal Pardon was denied.
Dave

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Post by chopperjoey » August 17, 2020, 12:56 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
August 15, 2020, 8:11 am
IMHO they always appeared to be 'scapegoats' - if for nothing else the lazy, inept, corrupt and comical police investigations.

An opinion carries little weight in such an important case. And i will not go into the usual cynical remarks calling police "corrupt and comical."

Dozens if not hunderds forum farang have voiced similar feelings. "poor immigrant workers used as scapegoats by the Thais." Rants and mere opinions of disgruntled farang. Where are the facts?

Facts are, there is dna evidence linking both persons to the crime. facts are, both families of the murdered victims, have seen all the evidence (in contrast to all the forum farang) and believe these convicted youngmen are the murderers. Facts are investigators from the uk have assisted the Thai police.

Yes, most likely these and other immigrant workers have been given a very rough treatment during the police investigation. I cant agree with that, but that doesnt make the two persons innocent.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » August 18, 2020, 8:38 am

chopperjoey wrote:
August 17, 2020, 12:56 pm
Bandung_Dero wrote:

An opinion carries little weight in such an important case. And i will not go into the usual cynical remarks calling police "corrupt and comical."

Dozens if not hunderds forum farang have voiced similar feelings. "poor immigrant workers used as scapegoats by the Thais." Rants and mere opinions of disgruntled farang. Where are the facts?

Facts are, there is dna evidence linking both persons to the crime. facts are, both families of the murdered victims, have seen all the evidence (in contrast to all the forum farang) and believe these convicted youngmen are the murderers. Facts are investigators from the uk have assisted the Thai police.

Yes, most likely these and other immigrant workers have been given a very rough treatment during the police investigation. I cant agree with that, but that doesnt make the two persons innocent.
The DNA of the two accused, and now convicted, was never found on the presumed murder weapon.

The guilty verdict that resulted in the two men being sentenced to death relied heavily on the DNA evidence put forward by prosecutors who claimed a 100% match to the defendants. The DNA was said to be taken from inside the female victim. It is scientifically impossible that a mixed sample consisting of DNA from Hannah Witheridge, Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo could be a 100% match to any one person.
Read this then give your opinion

http://ghre.org/2019/09/05/outcry-over- ... o-murders/

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » August 20, 2020, 7:38 am

dragonz wrote:
August 18, 2020, 8:38 am
chopperjoey wrote:
August 17, 2020, 12:56 pm
Bandung_Dero wrote:

The DNA of the two accused, and now convicted, was never found on the presumed murder weapon.

The guilty verdict that resulted in the two men being sentenced to death relied heavily on the DNA evidence put forward by prosecutors who claimed a 100% match to the defendants. The DNA was said to be taken from inside the female victim. It is scientifically impossible that a mixed sample consisting of DNA from Hannah Witheridge, Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo could be a 100% match to any one person.
Read this then give your opinion

http://ghre.org/2019/09/05/outcry-over- ... o-murders/
And I suppose 'chopperjoey' also believes the new witnesses that 'Boss' was only driving at 77kph and the cocaine in his system was from recent dental treatment. Oh well I suppose there is one born every minute. Must be a wall in a village somewhere missing its normal occupant. The Kho Tao investigation stunk from the word go and dragonz's copied article just shows how inept (deliberate or otherwise) the investigation and eventual outcome was.

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Post by chopperjoey » November 21, 2020, 11:44 am

"And I suppose 'chopperjoey' also believes the new witnesses that 'Boss' was only driving at 77kph and the cocaine in his system was from recent dental treatment. Oh well I suppose there is one born every minute. Must be a wall in a village somewhere missing its normal occupant. The Kho Tao investigation stunk from the word go and dragonz's copied article just shows how inept (deliberate or otherwise) the investigation and eventual outcome was."

you are supposing a lot! you should try to take it a step further and make efforts to think. i gently encourage you to take that step...

1. plain dumb. this topic is about the Koh Tao murders, there is no connection to bring in a drunk driving killing.
2. to respond to your first remark. no, i dont think that. so you already start with wrong assumptions.
3. back to the Koh Tao murders. If you accuse me of being "one born every minute" you are aware you equally are dumbremarking the parents of the victims wo equally believe the right ppl were convicted and have seen MORE EVIDENCE than you.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”