Second Ring Road Plans

Udon Thani news, views and comments
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Second Ring Road Plans

Post by tamada » August 1, 2020, 9:26 am

Yesterday morning, coming back from the school run, there was a survey team set up on the left-hand hard-shoulder southbound on the east ring-road just before the railroad crossing (after where the new overpass 3-lane 'merges' to the old 2-lane). They were doing ranges and bearings with a couple of teams set up ahead of them. On the afternoon school run, they had passed Global junction and were already beyond the u-turn opposite HomePro and half-way to the Nong Sai junction. Looked to me like a topographic survey maybe ahead of some highway construction. A three-lane eastern ring road maybe?

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 1, 2020, 10:02 am

They've also been surveying by Global House heading off towards Ban Tad, they've earmarked several electricity poles.to be moved and put surveyors tags in the middle of the road from just after the Ban Chang turn off until way past Srithani golf course heading towards my village, something is afoot.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 2, 2020, 7:29 am

Both those roads have heavy traffic which causes problems, probably an upgrade to the roads, widening and resurfacing etc.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 2, 2020, 8:03 am

The road that goes from Global House past Srithani golf course is not a busy road, I use it all the time so usual nonsense spouted there, another thing is that this road was widened and resurfaced just last year! Why bother commenting on something you obviously don’t have a clue about?
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 2, 2020, 8:14 am

Looks to me like the new road will go from the new junction/road opposite Global House, bypass Kham Khling, join the new road past Sri Thani golf course, veer off towards Wat Pha Ban Tad then go across country to join the road that goes from Nadee to Nong Bua Lumphu. Just a guess after looking at the surveyors tags in the road, it seems an odd place to start a ring road and of course it may never happen. I’m sure someone will be able to enlighten us, one of his “friends” will most likely be in the know.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 2, 2020, 9:18 am

that route doesn't match any of the maps published by the government showing the proposed outer ring road route.. The maps also show an intermediate bypass from Rte 2 near the Highway Patrol station halfway to Non Soong that goes east to 22 (near the Shell station) and onward to the Ban Nong Sai area. Some may recall the original plans some years ago had the road going straight through housing developments before residents in an uproar caused it to be rerouted north of those estates (just east of T-Bar) to intersect with the Nong Sai road..
Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 2, 2020, 10:04 am

^ The key is "proposed" route. If anyone has their panties in a bunch about a map on the internet, they need to go visit their local amphur's office to see the official "proposed" route.

I don't recall any "residents in uproar" causing any changes to the routing. There may have been a lot of bunched panties (sic) when the less enlightened saw a map of a "proposed" route on the internet.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 2, 2020, 10:10 am

FrazeeDK wrote:
August 2, 2020, 9:18 am
that route doesn't match any of the maps published by the government showing the proposed outer ring road route.. The maps also show an intermediate bypass from Rte 2 near the Highway Patrol station halfway to Non Soong that goes east to 22 (near the Shell station) and onward to the Ban Nong Sai area. Some may recall the original plans some years ago had the road going straight through housing developments before residents in an uproar caused it to be rerouted north of those estates (just east of T-Bar) to intersect with the Nong Sai road..
Maybe not the ring road then, that suits me fine but there are surveyors marks and tags that sort of indicate a road is going to be built there, maybe it’s just to service the temple?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 2, 2020, 10:52 am

tamada wrote:
August 2, 2020, 10:04 am
^ The key is "proposed" route. If anyone has their panties in a bunch about a map on the internet, they need to go visit their local amphur's office to see the official "proposed" route.

I don't recall any "residents in uproar" causing any changes to the routing. There may have been a lot of bunched panties (sic) when the less enlightened saw a map of a "proposed" route on the internet.
You are correct Tamada, I was told it will exit onto the NK main road well north of the Rail crossing between Udon and Naka, large general sweep between Udon and Nonghan then over to the KK Road . exact route not known but various plans thwarted the initial route, still looking to get the right route, plus the KK Road to NBL road is a non starter for now , not enough traffic and hills seem to get in the way at the moment

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 5, 2020, 12:18 pm

the intermediate bypass planned from Rte 2 to Rte 22 and looping over to near Nong Sai has planning signs showing a map and explaining the bypass on the north and south side of Rte 22 about 6km east of the Big C Bypass...
20200805_104809.jpg
20200805_104809.jpg
Attachments
20200805_104846.jpg
Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 5, 2020, 12:43 pm

...and rejoining the existing ring road at the Nong Sai/Nong Bua traffic lights?

Defo gonna bulldoze the pile if that's the case.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 6, 2020, 1:44 am

In a nutshell, the sign tells families/land owners in areas that are being surveyed to be expropriated in areas of Ban Jan, Nong Na Kham, Nong Kawn Kwang, Nong Bua, and Mak Kaeng to notify officials at the listed phone numbers......if they are interested in details. Thanks for posting the sign. Homework done for the day.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 6, 2020, 7:09 am

No way near the KK road in Nong Sung then

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 6, 2020, 7:27 am

Khun Paul wrote:
August 6, 2020, 7:09 am
No way near the KK road in Nong Sung then
One's a bypass road.....planning appears to be well under way. I think the second ring is in early planning stages.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 6, 2020, 9:50 am

Here's some jiggery pokery I've done with the image posted by FDK and a google earth grab. Scaling not precise but maybe good enough for those wishing to ballpark their local traffic disruption?
raster.jpg
Planning map
google earth.jpg
Google earth view
overlay.jpg
Overlay

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 6, 2020, 5:01 pm

Went into Kham Khling (Cam Kling whatever) yesterday and saw several surveyors measuring, the road and electricity pylons etc, it just so happens that the area they are surveying slots nicely onto where the new road starts.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 8, 2020, 6:32 pm

I reckon we'll know it is actually underway when one of us driving around stumbles upon fleets of earth moving equipment leveling the route..
Dave

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » August 9, 2020, 2:40 pm

tamada wrote:
August 6, 2020, 9:50 am
Here's some jiggery pokery I've done with the image posted by FDK and a google earth grab. Scaling not precise but maybe good enough for those wishing to ballpark their local traffic disruption?

raster.jpg

google earth.jpg

overlay.jpg
I could understand this project if it extended to Sam Phrao. But it makes no sense to end it at Nong Sai. Dumb!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 9, 2020, 3:33 pm

^ That's got to be a "phase 1" effort with an upgrade of the current 2-way road between Nong Sai and the ring road traffic lights. Anyone who uses that junction knows that just the local traffic inbound from Nong Sai can take about 20 minutes and 4 traffic light changes just to get through during morning rush hours.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Secondary Bypass Rte 2 to Rte 22 to Nong Sai

Post by FrazeeDK » August 9, 2020, 4:17 pm

other planning maps show the additional bypass extending northward from the Nong Sai intersection to the Sam Phrao road.. While driving a back road south of Rte 22 today I saw another bypass advisory billboard with map. This is on a concrete village road. Seems like the project's going to happen sooner rather than later..
Dave

Return to “Udon Thani News”