Vehicle without books

General Udon Thani topics only!
Whistler
udonmap.com

Vehicle without books

Post by Whistler » July 31, 2020, 8:27 am

I have seen a couple of ads selling vehicles with no books. Anybody had experience in trying to legalise ownership on such vehicles?

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Vehicle without books

Post by tamada » July 31, 2020, 9:54 am

Not personally but on TV forum when this question arises, the sage advice varies between impossible to expensive. The only times it's sometimes viable is when it's a clapped-out pick-up that wouldn't look out of place on the farm and won't even come near a main highway.

I am wondering if the collapsing Thai economy is seeing some mysteriously VIN-less late model sedans escaping the clutches of the finance companies? What sort of bookless vehicles are you seeing there?

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » July 31, 2020, 10:35 am

you'd have to be more specific with details to get
a quality answer. i like reading thai classifieds on
a few fb pages . ( moterbike ads) the last few months , there's been an abundance of โนเล่ม
" no lem" or no book. all dodgy /stolen in arrears

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 31, 2020, 8:12 pm

Geeze, two members responded. Thank you, but no closer to any answer.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 31, 2020, 8:30 pm

Whistler wrote:
July 31, 2020, 8:27 am
I have seen a couple of ads selling vehicles with no books. Anybody had experience in trying to legalise ownership on such vehicles?
Getting a replacement book for the registered owner is a reasonably simple process, though it will take some time to get it.

So the obvious conclusion is that there something wrong with the ownership, quite possibly illegal. So you can pay someone money for a vehicle that you are unlikely to ever own and they may well not have any ownership of, that could be taken from you at any time with no compensation in the best case and could get free lodging for months or longer in a less good case.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » July 31, 2020, 11:17 pm

I remember being told to register a vehicle it could be in excess of 80,000 baht.
Maybe more now as that was 24 years ago.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 1, 2020, 7:01 am

Just waiting for the OP to confirm the type and age of these vehicles he's looking at and if they're ~100k baht cheaper than one would expect.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » August 1, 2020, 7:19 am

I wouldn't touch one, the car could be on finance that's not been paid , possibility its stolen or been used in a crime.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 1, 2020, 7:29 am

many license plate + books up for sale ,due to the flourishing economy? , i think it will not be easy to get a new book + plate if you are not the original owner and not have a cause why these items are lost ,anyway best way to know this is to ask at land transportation office ,they will have the exact info , not at a forum ... ;)

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 1, 2020, 10:51 am

kopkei wrote:
August 1, 2020, 7:29 am
many license plate + books up for sale ,due to the flourishing economy? , i think it will not be easy to get a new book + plate if you are not the original owner and not have a cause why these items are lost ,anyway best way to know this is to ask at land transportation office ,they will have the exact info , not at a forum ... ;)
Thanks Mr K.

What I was looking at was a nice looking chopper. There is no way I would pay a single bhat unless I had full knowledge about book. This is best advice, thank you.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » August 1, 2020, 11:33 am

Whistler wrote:
August 1, 2020, 10:51 am
kopkei wrote:
August 1, 2020, 7:29 am
Thanks Mr K.

What I was looking at was a nice looking chopper. There is no way I would pay a single bhat unless I had full knowledge about book. This is best advice, thank you.
Aha choppers , they're a bit different . you need to see the import papers and was the tax paid. If no import papers then leave it alone as the first time you get pulled by the bib then they will take it off you. Its not a case of a lost book ,the bike probably never had one in the first place that's why no number plate. You can still tax it and have government insurance . the only drawback is not having any number plate you can still be fined 200b for not displaying a number plate. You also can register the bike and get a book and number plate but its a rather expensive endeavour., best to look for one that does have a plate or live with the fact you might get a fine or not depending on if police constable somchai got laid the night before :lol:
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 1, 2020, 11:45 am

Choppers by their very nature are chopped so there will be no chassis or frame number or an engine number that doesn't match anything else. Totally and forever illegal.

Anyway, There's at least three shops in Udon, freely trading with merchandise on display, that can knock up a legal looking number plate in a day. That may be all that's needed for the OP's burgeoning mid-life crisis fulfillment?

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » August 1, 2020, 12:53 pm

Tam the bikes come dismantled from Japan ,they are in general complete .that's why you need the import papers to check tax was paid on the parts .they then reassemble the bikes. Mind you I think they banned the imports now. Hey what's wrong with having a mid life crisis ? Buy a chopper, marry a 21 year old and get a bar... What could go wrong :lol: .
Saying that I would love an old bike , something like an old XT 500

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 1, 2020, 2:11 pm

tamada wrote:
August 1, 2020, 11:45 am
Choppers by their very nature are chopped so there will be no chassis or frame number or an engine number that doesn't match anything else. Totally and forever illegal.
For a true chopper there Would/could still be a frame number and would be an engine number, though they might have come from different bikes. The modification however may not be street legal.

But since choppers became a fashion most are now original design from the factory so street legal in the country sold though few are legal to import into Thailand or will at least have a 300% tax rate that will likely have been avoided.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 1, 2020, 2:23 pm

^ I didn't realize that choppers had become such a fashion do-dad that there are companies making them to an 'original design'. Kind of like fake tartan IMHO.

...or sausages for that matter.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 1, 2020, 5:02 pm

i always wanted to buy a chopper in los as i always have had one abroad , but when i went to look at what the market here had to offer i quickly forgot about it , all these revived old corpses 10-20 years old with a ridiculous price tag of + 100.000 baht and way more ....even without a license plate what was ok at that time (18 years ago) due to the men in brown not checking this ,not anymore though , now how ever you can buy fe a honda rebel 300 cc for 145.000 baht and having 3 years warranty , (or a 500cc) , and for those into classic bikes the new yamaha xsr155cc with water cooling for 91.500 baht/5year warranty , beating down the old air cooled honda phantoms also sold second hand at ridiculous prices .... ;)
forgot to mention , best buy for the moment to me
http://www.kawasaki.co.th/en/motorcycle/vulcans#
money way better spent than buying these expensive old revived corpses :lol:
Last edited by kopkei on August 1, 2020, 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 1, 2020, 5:04 pm

I asked a few more questions of buyer, very dodgy but thanks everybody for your input

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » August 1, 2020, 5:56 pm

kopkei wrote:
August 1, 2020, 5:02 pm
i always wanted to buy a chopper in los as i always have had one abroad , but when i went to look at what the market here had to offer i quickly forgot about it , all these revived old corpses 10-20 years old with a ridiculous price tag of + 100.000 baht and way more ....even without a license plate what was ok at that time (18 years ago) due to the men in brown not checking this ,not anymore though , now how ever you can buy fe a honda rebel 300 cc for 145.000 baht and having 3 years warranty , (or a 500cc) , and for those into classic bikes the new yamaha xsr155cc with water cooling for 91.500 baht/5year warranty , beating down the old air cooled honda phantoms also sold second hand at ridiculous prices .... ;)
forgot to mention , best buy for the moment to me
http://www.kawasaki.co.th/en/motorcycle/vulcans#
money way better spent than buying these expensive old revived corpses :lol:
A guy came to my place with a rebel 500 with some very nice mods,maybe look out for secondhand as Hondas are bullet proof

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”