Re: 5 Year Renewal of Driver's License

Post by Jello » July 9, 2020, 6:42 pm

Thanks for the tip.

UFF DA!

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 9, 2020, 6:57 pm

sorry guy's for the late update , i went today to central to update my expired 5 years license to new 5 years for car and mb,
was there at 11.00h , got cue card nr 31 , so what needed for this ?
- copy front page passport x2
- copy yellow book or prove of domicile x2
-copy visa stamp x2
original documents to show ...
not needed ...doctor certificate..
after handing this do the 3 regular tests /brake/depth sight/colorblindness
and wait to yes look movie 1hour ,they have 3 sessions 11.30-12.30, 13.30-14.30, 15-16h
i was too late for the 11.30 session ,so had to wait until 13.30 , when coming there send into the room to look movie and it looked like this ...
IMG_20200709_134624[1].jpg
from beginning to the end , sorry i did not make a selfy....so they seem not to be overwhelmed with applicants as i was home alone 1 hour ...
after this taking picture ,and pay 860 baht for both licenses ,good for another 6 year as my license was expired,licenses ready in 2 minutes ...so at my question after seeing so many thais coming in and going out with their license and no movie looking was the answer , khon thais also must look movie , but the movie is only for the ones extending from 5 year to 5 year , the ones applying new and 1 year, 2 year to 5 year no need to look movie , so TIT the movie is meant for the more experienced drivers as the rookies not need this ...again the world upside down i would call it :lol: , good luck to all ;)
Last edited by kopkei on July 9, 2020, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » July 9, 2020, 7:10 pm

Thanks for the report Kopkei.
So, no medical certificate needed at the central office.
UFF DA!

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 9, 2020, 7:59 pm

to be clear... no medical needed for renewal 5year to 5 year , needed for 1-2 year to 5 year ;)

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » July 10, 2020, 6:06 am

kopkei wrote:
July 9, 2020, 6:57 pm
...so at my question after seeing so many thais coming in and going out with their license and no movie looking was the answer , khon thais also must look movie , but the movie is only for the ones extending from 5 year to 5 year , the ones applying new and 1 year, 2 year to 5 year no need to look movie , so TIT the movie is meant for the more experienced drivers as the rookies not need this ...again the world upside down i would call it :lol: , good luck to all ;)
This could have been lost in translation,(or they couldn't be arsed explaining it,,)as Thais can online answer a few questions ,show the results ,and not have to sit through the video , Foreigners can't do this as the system will not recognise their driving license number,

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » July 10, 2020, 6:42 am

Hoopoe wrote:
July 10, 2020, 6:06 am
kopkei wrote:
...so at my question after seeing so many thais coming in and going out with their license and no movie looking was the answer , khon thais also must look movie , but the movie is only for the ones extending from 5 year to 5 year , the ones applying new and 1 year, 2 year to 5 year no need to look movie , so TIT the movie is meant for the more experienced drivers as the rookies not need this ...again the world upside down i would call it :lol: , good luck to all ;)
This could have been lost in translation,(or they couldn't be arsed explaining it,,)as Thais can online answer a few questions ,show the results ,and not have to sit through the video , Foreigners can't do this as the system will not recognise their driving license number,
farangs can do the online questions , our driving licence numbers are just the same as the Thais .. i did mine online last week . very easy to do .

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 10, 2020, 7:15 am

kopkei wrote:
sorry guy's for the late update , i went today to central to update my expired 5 years license to new 5 years for car and mb,
was there at 11.00h , got cue card nr 31 , so what needed for this ?
- copy front page passport x2
- copy yellow book or prove of domicile x2
-copy visa stamp x2
original documents to show ...
not needed ...doctor certificate..
after handing this do the 3 regular tests /brake/depth sight/colorblindness
and wait to yes look movie 1hour ,they have 3 sessions 11.30-12.30, 13.30-14.30, 15-16h
i was too late for the 11.30 session ,so had to wait until 13.30 , when coming there send into the room to look movie and it looked like this ...
IMG_20200709_134624[1].jpg
from beginning to the end , sorry i did not make a selfy....so they seem not to be overwhelmed with applicants as i was home alone 1 hour ...
after this taking picture ,and pay 860 baht for both licenses ,good for another 6 year as my license was expired,licenses ready in 2 minutes ...so at my question after seeing so many thais coming in and going out with their license and no movie looking was the answer , khon thais also must look movie , but the movie is only for the ones extending from 5 year to 5 year , the ones applying new and 1 year, 2 year to 5 year no need to look movie , so TIT the movie is meant for the more experienced drivers as the rookies not need this ...again the world upside down i would call it :lol: , good luck to all ;)
Trust me it depends which office u go to, last 3 x 5 year renewals I have never done any classroom or online training, wife is my witness but I have had to provide a medical every time. When she renewed her 5 year licence she had to go away and cone back with medical certificate then she had to do 1 hour in the classroom. Not heresay FACT. Remember TIT and everyone has a different story for the same issue

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 10, 2020, 7:53 am

correct dr, all depending where you go and also person handling at that time...TIT
so also for renewals you do some online questions and do not have to look movie 1 hour? ;)

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » July 10, 2020, 9:36 am

God morning !!

Just a Q,is AEK open for drivinglicense renewal??

Thank you.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 10, 2020, 5:22 pm

yes 10.00 AM... ;)

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 10, 2020, 6:09 pm

Does anyone know what the process is if you are entering Thailand, obtaining an Non Imm O type visa and then wanting to covert the Drivers License from your Home Country over to a Thai Drivers License. I have a current license from an overseas country, which I have held for the past 17 years and which is not due to expire until 2023.

Firstly does the .......Department recognize the Drivers License that you have held in another country for the past 17 years and then allow you to easily switch over to and obtain a Thai Drivers License or

Does the .......Department ignore that overseas License that you have held for the past 17 years and make you go through a completely new driving tests process, in order to get a Thai Drivers License

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » July 10, 2020, 6:20 pm

Depends on the country the License was issued in.
Another way is to get an International License and convert it to a Thai driving license.
Call in Udon Driving school and they will advise you if you are in Thailand at the moment.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 10, 2020, 6:21 pm

Depends
By law you have to do the test at the driving school
which I did
but I know of people who went the same driving school and got the paper work required without the test

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » July 10, 2020, 6:22 pm

Best bet is go on a Friday around 2.30/3pm. I did for first 2 year temp and renew for 5 year, apart from a 5 minute colour blindness test first time around nothing else require (needed health certificates both times). Had a valid UK license when I went for first one. They don't convert just issue a Thai license so your foreign one is still valid in your home Country.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » July 10, 2020, 6:33 pm

I used Udon driving school to get my first 2 year Thai License .

Did the reaction test and colour blind test at the Driving school.
Went to the Main licensing office with my British license and a representative of the driving school.

Had to do the same reaction test and colour blind test again and the was issued with my Thai Driving license because I had a British License and produced it at the Licensing office.
If you have a license from Outer Mongolia you will have to sit a driving test

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 10, 2020, 9:01 pm

kopkei wrote:
July 10, 2020, 7:53 am
correct dr, all depending where you go and also person handling at that time...TIT
so also for renewals you do some online questions and do not have to look movie 1 hour? ;)
I use Khon mean road one and don't take the wife much easier, in and out very quickly every time. Friday afternoons are good too because they want home 😁 the

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 10, 2020, 9:05 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
July 10, 2020, 6:09 pm
Does anyone know what the process is if you are entering Thailand, obtaining an Non Imm O type visa and then wanting to covert the Drivers License from your Home Country over to a Thai Drivers License. I have a current license from an overseas country, which I have held for the past 17 years and which is not due to expire until 2023.

Firstly does the .......Department recognize the Drivers License that you have held in another country for the past 17 years and then allow you to easily switch over to and obtain a Thai Drivers License or

Does the .......Department ignore that overseas License that you have held for the past 17 years and make you go through a completely new driving tests process, in order to get a Thai Drivers License

pipoz4444
Please ignore the incorrect information Just posted.
You do not need to go to a driving school.
You do not need a driving test

You should get an IDP from the country your licence is from. Once you have that you can get a 2 year licence (I got 2, car & MC). You may have to go to the main LTO office between udon and KK some local offices will refuse you. You will have to do a couple of physical tests taking a very short time and watch the video.

Without an IDP and valid foreign licence the situation is probably different.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 10, 2020, 9:07 pm

dunroaming wrote:
July 10, 2020, 9:01 pm
kopkei wrote:
I use Khon mean road one and don't take the wife much easier, in and out very quickly every time. Friday afternoons are good too because they want home 😁 the
I disagree with not taking your SO or a Thai speaker
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 10, 2020, 9:40 pm

[/quote]
Please ignore the incorrect information Just posted.
You do not need to go to a driving school.
You do not need a driving test

You should get an IDP from the country your licence is from. Once you have that you can get a 2 year licence (I got 2, car & MC). You may have to go to the main LTO office between udon and KK some local offices will refuse you. You will have to do a couple of physical tests taking a very short time and watch the video.

Without an IDP and valid foreign licence the situation is probably different.
[/quote]

Thanks STWW and I have a valid driving licence, valid until 2023 and I will be out of here by then

I will look around to see if I can also get a International Driving Permit, here, as well

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 11, 2020, 6:16 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
July 10, 2020, 9:07 pm
dunroaming wrote:
July 10, 2020, 9:01 pm
kopkei wrote:
I disagree with not taking your SO or a Thai speaker
So each to there own it's worked for me very well over the years, your experiences are maybe different.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”