PO Box in Udon

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

PO Box in Udon

Post by tamada » June 24, 2020, 12:08 pm

Some old threads checked and several members have had PO Box here for several years. Has anyone got one recently and which PO branch was it at? How has the service been? I have seen some comments in old threads about mail being put in wrong boxes, need to tell them to check, etc..

Ta
tam

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: PO Box in Udon

Post by Khun Paul » June 24, 2020, 2:57 pm

I have had a Box for 15 years, you have to maintain vigilance as they sometimes forget to ask for a ,renewal fee and close the box. Happened once never again, they got short shrift.
Mine is at the Main Post office which I got after the local mailman had been found stealing mail and with my lawyer, the Head Post Office chappie threatened with Police action IF MAIL WAS STOLEN AGAIN AND HE DID NOT KNOW, after he admitted he was responsible .
Costs Thb 500 per year, now the boxes have been relocated outside a lot easier to get to, before the revamp they were inside.

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » June 24, 2020, 6:55 pm

I tried for many years to get a PO box in Udon and failed, more excuses offered than a schoolboy handing his homework in late. Here in Cambodia, I visited the Post Office in Phnom Penh and within 10 minutes I had my POB for $16 per year. About six weeks prior to the fee being due, they put a note in the box which you take to the counter for payment. Should you receive something too large for the box or something that requires that you sign for it, a note is left in the box. Simple and absolutely no problem.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » June 24, 2020, 7:19 pm

We had a new post office open out here in Nong Wua So, a few years ago, so I grabbed a box as soon as I could.
Wife actually spoke to them before opening.

I only use it to send stuff to myself, local and international.
But, because they know the missus, they deliver everything to home, even if addressed to the box.

It's funny, but I'm not complaining.
I'm happy to keep it, even though nothing ever goes in it. :lol:

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » June 24, 2020, 8:32 pm

Got mine -2006,500Bath then,500Bath a year now 2020...awsome.Never had a problem with getting some elses post in my box.Will keep it for sure.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 25, 2020, 3:05 pm

Not Udon related but:-
Yep, same situation as @mick.
Had ours here in Ban Dung for some 18 years, only gone up 50 Baht in that time to 250. A total waste of money as the post office ignores it (as addressed) and sends out our mail, including EMS, via the post man anyway. We are about 17km out of town, oh well TiT.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » June 27, 2020, 7:38 am

Just wanted to add to my earlier post: The main reason I wanted a POB was because of the extremely poor and unpredictable mail delivery service. In the end I chose to visit the main post office in person to collect. This is a rather large room on the 3rd floor looking a little like a library complete with many book shelves. I would guess many, many 1000’s of letters lined-up like books. The PO employee would take me to the familiar shelf carrying our street name, and search for our mail. Although we were right opposite the number one bus station on Sayoutis Road, I never discovered why they chose not to deliver. I can add that many of our letters were lost forever in a chaotic system and wondered whether others have recently had similar experiences in Udon Thani.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 27, 2020, 7:58 pm

We've had a PO box at the main PO for about 15 years and have never lost anything. Letters/packages addressed to us at the PO Box are delivered to the box while letters/packages addressed to us at our home are delivered to the house.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”