Apply for O Visa in Thailand

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
samster
udonmap.com

Apply for O Visa in Thailand

Post by samster » May 24, 2020, 7:38 pm

One thing I have never looked into is whether you can get an O Visa whilst in Thailand. Presumably it's possible?

I have a flight booked to return to Thailand in July and, my present OA expired this month.

IF, I am allowed to travel, I will have to get Visa on arrival (30 days?) as, dealing with the RTE in London may be problematical and time consuming before.

IF, I then quarantine for 14 days, I will then have another 2 weeks to get permission to stay or a new Visa within Thailand as border runs may be impossible with additional quarantine.

As I am not married or on a state pension, I would prefer to get another OA. Is it possible in Thailand? Do you need to have money in the bank in Thailand?

A lot of "ifs" and "buts" but I am trying to make sure I am ahead of the game

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Re: Apply for O Visa in Thailand

Post by dunroaming » May 24, 2020, 9:25 pm

You will not get a visa in Thailand based on the info you provided. Never had any issues dealing with Thai Embassy in London.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » May 24, 2020, 10:14 pm

dunroaming wrote:
May 24, 2020, 9:25 pm
You will not get a visa in Thailand based on the info you provided. Never had any issues dealing with Thai Embassy in London.
Thanks for the response.

I've never had problems with RTE in London either but, when they re-open they, rightly, will be more preoccupied with Thai nationals. I wont know if I will be able to fly until late June and, dont want to apply sooner as, the odds are, I won't be able to travel.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 24, 2020, 10:43 pm

samster wrote:
May 24, 2020, 7:38 pm
One thing I have never looked into is whether you can get an O Visa whilst in Thailand. Presumably it's possible?

I have a flight booked to return to Thailand in July and, my present OA expired this month.

IF, I am allowed to travel, I will have to get Visa on arrival (30 days?) as, dealing with the RTE in London may be problematical and time consuming before.

IF, I then quarantine for 14 days, I will then have another 2 weeks to get permission to stay or a new Visa within Thailand as border runs may be impossible with additional quarantine.

As I am not married or on a state pension, I would prefer to get another OA. Is it possible in Thailand? Do you need to have money in the bank in Thailand?

A lot of "ifs" and "buts" but I am trying to make sure I am ahead of the game
Getting a Non-O in Thailand certainly is possible, you must have at least 15 days permission to stay left when you apply, but if you are going to use retirement as the reason you must transfer 800K from overseas to get it(5.3). Many offices do not accept the combination method that is listed as available.

It is impossible to get a Non-OA in any other country than (for you) the U.K. it is unnecessary and unwanted as it has extra insurance requirements. A Non-O is better for you, and getting it before you arrive is preferable.
5155A6EA-8455-4EF2-86EF-5DEA9D6C6CA3.jpeg
It is far from certain that the borders will open by July. It is even less sure that passengers from high risk countries will be permitted in once the boarders do open. It is certainly possible that you will have to have a visa to enter and that visa exempt entries will not be permitted.

I would not be making plans to travel until the entry conditions are published. Everything in the previous paragraph is informed guesses, it is certainly possible that once the boarders open it will be business as usual but I think not.

The London embassy will reopen on June 1st for all services apart from visas. They are still closed for visa services. I suggest that you email [email protected] in a few weeks time as they may have more information then. The ban on international flights has been extended to June 30th and could be extended again.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on May 24, 2020, 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 24, 2020, 10:57 pm

dunroaming wrote:
Nothing that has been posted suggests that a Non-O would not be granted.

What makes you think he doesn’t qualify?

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » May 24, 2020, 11:13 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
May 24, 2020, 10:43 pm
Getting a Non-O in Thailand certainly is possible, you must have at least 15 days permission to stay left when you apply, but if you are going to use retirement as the reason you must transfer 800K from overseas to get it(5.3). Many offices do not accept the combination method that is listed as available.

Ok. Not attractive at present given exchange rate!

A Non-O is better for you, and getting it before you arrive is preferable.

Cannot get Non O as not married or on state pension

5155A6EA-8455-4EF2-86EF-5DEA9D6C6CA3.jpeg

It is far from certain that the borders will open by July. It is even less sure that passengers from high risk countries will be permitted in once the boarders do open. It is certainly possible that you will have to have a visa to enter and that visa exempt entries will not be permitted.

I agree

I would not be making plans to travel until the entry conditions are published. Everything in the previous paragraph is informed guesses, it is certainly possible that once the boarders open it will be business as usual but I think not.

Thanks

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 24, 2020, 11:30 pm

samster wrote:
May 24, 2020, 11:13 pm

Cannot get Non O as not married or on state pension
The information published on the website is not always correct, it maybe possible that you can get a Non-O even though the website says no. An email towards the end of June will cost nothing and could give good news.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » May 25, 2020, 5:49 am

May 24, 2020, 10:57 pm
dunroaming wrote:

Unless things have changed which I accept they may well have you could never before turn a visit on arrival stamp into an Non O visa within the borders of Thailand unless paying a visa agent to take your passport away on a holiday. Would be happy to be wrong as I'm here this time on a visa on arrival 😊 as working rotationally I don't need either the married or retired extension. I have had them both over the years but they became to many stamps and visas in my passport.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 25, 2020, 7:50 am

dunroaming wrote:
May 25, 2020, 5:49 am
May 24, 2020, 10:57 pm
dunroaming wrote:

Unless things have changed which I accept they may well have you could never before turn a visit on arrival stamp into an Non O visa within the borders of Thailand unless paying a visa agent to take your passport away on a holiday. Would be happy to be wrong as I'm here this time on a visa on arrival 😊 as working rotationally I don't need either the married or retired extension. I have had them both over the years but they became to many stamps and visas in my passport.
I doubt that you are on a visa on arrival. Unless you are a citizen of.
4AADDC4C-5E37-4D7D-951A-F4EDBD72357C.jpeg
Things have not changed for many years. A Non-O has long been available when changing from a tourist visa or visa exempt (not usually visa on arrival as that is only 15 days) for a marriage extension or retirement extension. Some offices, sometimes, have hidden that fact and claim it isn’t available.

A regular Non-O I has never been available.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » May 25, 2020, 5:57 pm

Ok ok splitting hairs visa except 30 days

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 25, 2020, 7:18 pm

dunroaming wrote:
May 25, 2020, 5:57 pm
Ok ok splitting hairs visa except 30 days
No hairs have been split. The 2 kinds of entry are different.

A visa on arrival requires a fee and application form it gives 15 days.

If you got 30 days you entered Visa exempt did not need to complete a form nor pay the 2,000 baht fee.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » May 25, 2020, 7:39 pm

And still can't end either for marriage or retirement or again you may prove me wrong

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 25, 2020, 8:04 pm

Splitting hairs is less important if you are happy to pay an exorbitant fee to an agent to smooth things over for you . :pirate:

If you wish to go the legal route with Thai Immo, it is critically important that you get the terminology right.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » May 25, 2020, 8:12 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 25, 2020, 8:04 pm
Splitting hairs is less important if you are happy to pay an exorbitant fee to an agent to smooth things over for you . :pirate:

If you wish to go the legal route with Thai Immo, it is critically important that you get the terminology right.
Lived here more than 16 years never had to pay any additional fee or visa agent I must be very lucky, saying that had visas for half the world due to work again never paid any backhanded payments. Follow the law to the letter and it's quite simple want to cut corners or don't really quality you are lucky here you can buy what you need

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 25, 2020, 9:40 pm

dunroaming wrote:
May 25, 2020, 7:39 pm
And still can't end either for marriage or retirement or again you may prove me wrong
Since you seem determined to deny the possibility here is the heading for both There is no particular point in posting the full text as I have done so before.

Note as I said a visa on arrival does not give enough time.

are these enough proof?
834C1D69-DB10-41CA-91F8-70A24A61BFE2.jpeg
Spouse
F03DDD5C-5A1C-41EB-836F-9286489E93AE.jpeg
Retirement
And for good measure here are the headings of the application forms that you need to complete to apply TM86 TM87, though again though I have the complete forms the headings are enough.
B3C06416-D189-4BCD-B971-8F5EB263C187.jpeg
55054208-9262-44C9-B8E6-9314419D14FB.jpeg
dunroaming wrote:
May 25, 2020, 8:12 pm
Follow the law to the letter and it's quite simple
It is essential to know the letter of the law if you want to follow it. And the correct terminology is vitally important to do that.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”