Post Covid ecomony

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Post Covid ecomony

Post by vincemunday » May 1, 2020, 7:48 am

I’m not a fan of Pattaya anyway but given the choice of going somewhere that keeps tabs on people and staying safe or going to somewhere where they let in all and sundry is bit of a no brainer.

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 1, 2020, 2:05 pm

Some ask why WHO were slow to call Covid a pandemic. Probably due to pressure. The world Bank issued Pandemic bonds in 2017, as a means to rapidly raise money for affected countries. These bonds were sold and bought by governments and insurance companies (and probably other funds) as had good rates of return. In case of a Pandemic, these bonds become forfeit and investors loose the lot. All criteria have now been met but i bet that a lot of pressure was applied to try and stop this. Not sure who will actually get the money...... but a lot of investors are now in a world of hurt.

https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/pand ... g-facility

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 1, 2020, 2:21 pm

^ When these "pandemic bonds" were mentioned on zerohedge.com way back some time last month, I posted a link on this forum. Subsequently, a whole slew of those that despise conspiracy theorists AND some 2-digit IQ holders decided to shoot the messenger.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 1, 2020, 3:18 pm

tamada wrote:
May 1, 2020, 2:21 pm
^ When these "pandemic bonds" were mentioned on zerohedge.com way back some time last month, I posted a link on this forum. Subsequently, a whole slew of those that despise conspiracy theorists AND some 2-digit IQ holders decided to shoot the messenger.
This is a quote from the zerohedge link (dated 25 Feb) that you posted on 10 March:
To date, the bonds have yet to be triggered, as it's increasingly becoming obvious that the WHO may stall calling Covid-19 outbreak a "pandemic" until after the bonds mature in July.
The pandemic was declared on 11 March - which made a nonsense of the speculation by zerohedge, and similarly yours of 11 March (obviously before the declaration became known) ie:
So it looks like the WHO has 4 more months to "prevent panic" while maintaining their already filthy rich shareholders return on investments,
posting.php?mode=quote&f=12&p=566748

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 1, 2020, 6:11 pm

Thanks for the reminder, much appreciated.

As you correctly point out, zerohedge did say that the WHO "may" stall. Not will stall or could stall but "may" stall. The realities of the situation probably overwhelmed their reticence.

While you are on the internet, can you pinpoint the date that the global Covid-19 numbers passed the WHO's own stated metric for when an epidemic becomes pandemic?

Ta
tam

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 2, 2020, 2:40 pm

Interesting article on an alternative form of European moving or being moved to Thailand ..

Its long been know that some wealthy families as a last resort send there troubled dilinquent offspring to live on foreign shores far away sending them an allowance to basically stay away .. now Aljazeera are reporting on Thailand for some reason being a great destination to off load the fruitcakes into care homes .. REALLY

anyway heres the link ..i didnt make it up

https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/10 ... 15358.html

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » May 2, 2020, 3:46 pm

I've always wondered why my kids keep sending my Missus cash every month,
I' ve always wondered why my kids keep sending my Missus cash every month,
I' ve always wonderrrrddddd.................zzzzzzzzzzz
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 22, 2020, 8:09 am

As per thread header ... pretty obvious world economies have been are are gonna be destroyed further by C19 thus leading to massive financial implications . With Thailands population having one of the biggest household debt problems in the world for sure heading towards an unpresidented wave of home and motor repossessions ... the article below " "the expat report"" offers reasoning behind why so much household debt here.

Apparently its all about FACE .. loosing it and gaining it tho i remain skeptical as the article presenters YT channel does seem to be all things negative when referring to Thailand thus despite making some semi valid points this makes me think maybe hes been caught out by a bronzed Isaan stunner here in the past and a tad bitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yRDAmbwhvU

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 22, 2020, 9:35 am

^ I got beyond the first slide of unnecessary capitalization but as soon as he used the Thai/Farang relationship as the primary item to bolster his 'face economics' argument, I went for a ---- instead. I reckon you are right though, he's either failed to graduate WBU or his best buddy did.

OK, had a terrific dump and came back watched this rubbish to the bitter (and twisted) end. Then I scrolled down to see all the sad sacks saying they either agreed, suggested Filipina hookers are more genyoowine or, more worrying, those with obviously no Thai experience taking this vlog as gospel. But I noted one comment from someone who appears to have followed the vloger for longer and may know him on a more personal level and posted the following:

"Christopher Gear
2 weeks ago
Really miss your old real organic voice bud. I've mentioned this in comments before. How is your health? I have several, accelerated Plantar Factitious being one. I have compassion for your falling out with your EX but i wish you would not stereotype every woman like that and just embellish on shortcomings of the land of smiles because i believe deep in your heart you don't believe that it's like that as a rule. I understand hatred is a reality but there are a plethora of ways to channel it. I really do feel for you and you can contact me anytime @ 928-274-0693 and i will give you a healing respite stay for as long as you want here in Sedona, Arizona. I got so much out of your vlogs for the first 2 years and now i just feel negative energy so i am going to have to unsubscribe. Just wanted to reach out to you brother because i care. . Cheers and be well."

So DM Clouseau is spot-on in ascertaining that this tripe was indeed written by a total plonker who got tooken to the cleaners.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 22, 2020, 12:00 pm

I particularly liked the final part of the vid Tam ref the "brother" taking the house keys off the falang !!

back on topic

Just read

Panasonic white goods section pulling out of Thailand and relocating to Vietnam ..800 jobs gone

DM

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 23, 2020, 7:53 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 22, 2020, 8:09 am
Apparently its all about FACE .. loosing it and gaining it tho i remain skeptical as the article presenters YT channel does seem to be all things negative when referring to Thailand thus despite making some semi valid points this makes me think maybe hes been caught out by a bronzed Isaan stunner here in the past and a tad bitter.

DM
I think I have the right chap. He was married to a Chiang Mai lass and seemed to have a great relationship. He then injured himself running and Thai doctors mucked up the diagnosis. He was in a great pain for a year or so and under the pressure his relationship folded. He didn't see it coming. I might not be summarizing it accurately but I think he said his fairly young missus (say 35) didn't want to be with a cripple (around 55). The upside was his leg could be fixed with the appropriate surgery once he had a proper diagnosis. He pissed off to the Philippines and now bashes Thailand from there.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 23, 2020, 8:11 am

GT93 wrote:
May 23, 2020, 7:53 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 22, 2020, 8:09 am

DM
I think I have the right chap. He was married to a Chiang Mai lass and seemed to have a great relationship. He then injured himself running and Thai doctors mucked up the diagnosis. He was in a great pain for a year or so and under the pressure his relationship folded. He didn't see it coming. I might not be summarizing it accurately but I think he said his fairly young missus (say 35) didn't want to be with a cripple (around 55). The upside was his leg could be fixed with the appropriate surgery once he had a proper diagnosis. He pissed off to the Philippines and now bashes Thailand from there.
IF TRUE thats great detective work .. well done Clooso GT

Stinging in pain or not the guy does raise a few notable issues ref FACE .. and i personally know a couple of guys who have been badly burnt as in the vid ..also one Thai village woman who bought a brand new car during a low deposit long payment promotion just because others in the village had .. she didnt need a car or have a driving license , never had one , couldnt drive and the car has been on the road less than 1000 km driven by her sister and whats more she defaulted after the second monthly payment and transfered the car to her sister on the quiet so it stays in the family home and in all intense n purposes the face remains intact.

Loads n loads of these expat Youtube Thai channels nowadays .. all a bit tedious

Back on topic , i hope im wrong but it does like like quite afew big emplyer are looking at pulling out of Thiland re locating to other Asean countires and Vietnam seems to be the place the most welcoming.

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 23, 2020, 8:21 am

^^ My mate's bronze Isaan stunner (35) is always there to help with his (65) colostomy bag changes including when he overloads it after too much beer curry and chips and blows a top gasket.

Seems like indeed the vlog bloke just picked a bad 'un.

YMMV

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 23, 2020, 8:40 am

The Covid-19 "reset" will see the bleed of certain manufacturing businesses from Thailand to Vietnam or neighboring nations. Plans to relocate that were probably already in a company's normal business plans may be triggered earlier. Chances are that Vietnam and other nations will be streamlining procedures to make the process easier. This may give the impression of a mass exodus if taken out of context.

It will be interesting to watch the local business press to see what Thailand's government is doing to entice other manufacturers or service industries to either set up shop here or expand their existing facilities. I think keeping hold of existing Japanese investment here is critical, especially as Japan itself slips into recession.

Being Japanese, Panasonic's decision may not necessarily reflect that Thailand's business environment is particularly bad as much as Vietnam's was slightly better for a lower-end or entry-level investor. Doors close and other doors open.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 23, 2020, 9:11 am

Here's an old moving report from the ex-pat poster DM was mentioning. He's reporting on his battle with pain and his difficulties with Thai medical care. If the medical advice had been satisfactory his marriage would have survived:

https://youtu.be/KxyFI3LCQjM

My earlier summary was just from memory. In the current economy financial uncertainties perhaps tend to tie Thai and farang partners closer together?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 23, 2020, 10:01 am

^ Looks to me that a year ago, he was still carrying a candle for his beloved "Ranya" who, as recently as a month ago, is now the epitome of the evil Thai woman that abandoned him?

Since he turned from helpful advice mode to blind vitriol in the interim, maybe we can assume his Philippine doctor's buggered up his knee op?

His preaching to make sure one is either adequately insured or fully capable of self-insuring is about the only sensible take away here.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 23, 2020, 1:43 pm

My friend sent me some pictures of Bangala & Beach Rd in Phuket.
1.30pm today.

Who would have ever believed it could be like this?

Mick
Attachments
1590214918045.jpg
1590214915076.jpg
1590214910935.jpg
1590214905901.jpg
1590214898492.jpg
1590214896017.jpg
1590214891656.jpg

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 23, 2020, 1:48 pm

Not a lady boy fight , scamming jet ski operator , mathematically challenged tuk tuk driver or mugging in sight ... the BIB will no doubt be saying the crime rate has dropped due to their diligent under takings .

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 23, 2020, 1:49 pm

tamada wrote:
May 23, 2020, 8:40 am
The Covid-19 "reset" will see the bleed of certain manufacturing businesses from Thailand to Vietnam or neighboring nations. Plans to relocate that were probably already in a company's normal business plans may be triggered earlier. Chances are that Vietnam and other nations will be streamlining procedures to make the process easier. This may give the impression of a mass exodus if taken out of context.

It will be interesting to watch the local business press to see what Thailand's government is doing to entice other manufacturers or service industries to either set up shop here or expand their existing facilities. I think keeping hold of existing Japanese investment here is critical, especially as Japan itself slips into recession.

Being Japanese, Panasonic's decision may not necessarily reflect that Thailand's business environment is particularly bad as much as Vietnam's was slightly better for a lower-end or entry-level investor. Doors close and other doors open.
True.

Manufacturers contemplating relocating their business from Thailand, don't have too many options, as to where to go.

Along with the economics and some degree of education of the labor force, plus government taxation policies and other factors, the Manufacturers need to be in a Country with reasonably good internal transport Infrastructure and also good Port facilities for their ocean freighting. That eliminates Laos and Cambodia & Myanmar at is time.

That doesn't leave many places, i.e. Vietnam, Malaysia, Sir Lanka, Philippines and possibly Indonesia (if you are talking out outside of China as well). Malaysia is not cheap from a labor standpoint and both Indonesia & Philippines , well they have different problems and issues related to attracting new businesses, when compared to Thailand and or Vietnam.

Yes, some businesses may be wanting to relocate from Thailand, but where can they reasonably relocate to, for say the next 5 years plus, with some degree of certainty, for their operations.

Vietnam appears to have a high percentage of a young educated population that is slowly gaining English speaking ability (according to 2019 rankings, still behind Singapore, Malaysia and Philippines). This can be good but it can also bad. As the more proficient the workforce become in their English ability, the more independent and arguably more expensive, that labor force seems to become. No good for holding down those Manufacturing costs and holding onto one workforce.

Manufacturers of say, textiles, garments, shoes, and certain other mass produced equipment/items that need a labor component, aren't necessarily looking for a highly educated /independent labor force. They are looking for someone they can pay 200-300 USD per Month and a workforce that is solely dependent on that job for their livelihood and that of their families, plus off course their ability to move their goods to Market.

I my humble view, throughout Asia at present and for the next foreseeable years, many of these Manufacturers are stuck with choice of either staying in Thailand or moving to Vietnam (if one also excludes China). Beyond these two Counties, the options fade away quickly.

In tough and uncertain times in the foreseeable future, I think many of of these Manufacturers will just stay put in Thailand and not spend the capital to relocate, until the business future looks much brighter.

2019 Rankings for English
1. Singapore
2 Philippines
3 Malaysia
10 Vietnam
14 Indonesia
20 Thailand

https://ceoworld.biz/2019/12/13/these-a ... oficiency/

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 23, 2020, 2:03 pm

Hertz Car Rental company has filed for bankruptcy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... spartandhp

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”