Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
User avatar
noosard
udonmap.com
Posts: 1941
Joined: April 17, 2011, 4:07 am
Location: Ban Jumpa Udon
Contact:

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by noosard » May 21, 2020, 4:20 pm

4.25% of world population with approximately 30% of the known cases



User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 2071
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 21, 2020, 10:43 pm

mech_401 wrote:
May 21, 2020, 11:42 am
we have 250k cases in u.k. and 1.5 million in u.s. 60 million people in u.k. , 360 million in u.s. ( total population) the proportions are nearly identical?

all these extraneous factors you mix in the equation, are equally true for u.k. population ?
It makes bugger all difference as if you have 7 figures or 5 figures of active cases, 95,000 new cases a day or 3,560 (26 times smaller) of new cases, neither country is going to have people entering Thailand any time soon.

The U.K. to be equal to the USA would have over 19,000 new cases per day.
Your Population numbers are wrong U.K. 67 million USA 330
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

User avatar
mech_401
udonmap.com
Posts: 460
Joined: August 13, 2018, 3:59 am

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by mech_401 » May 21, 2020, 11:24 pm

you keep throwing up #'s and graphs but you're not being intellectually honest . spain , italy , france , u.k. , peru all have statistics that deviate only slightly from u.s. figures . which is not 5x worse or even 2x worse.

User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 5717
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: ฃอยชอบ Auckland

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by GT93 » May 22, 2020, 3:39 am

Udon Map wrote:
May 21, 2020, 1:44 pm
mech_401 wrote:
May 21, 2020, 8:10 am
get off it . there are 360 million people in u.s.a.
Actually, more like 330 million.
I hope Thailand doesn't rush to accept tourists from the US or other similar Covid 19 rampant countries.

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 2071
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 22, 2020, 6:52 am

mech_401 wrote:
May 21, 2020, 11:24 pm
you keep throwing up #'s and graphs but you're not being intellectually honest . spain , italy , france , u.k. , peru all have statistics that deviate only slightly from u.s. figures . which is not 5x worse or even 2x worse.
You are fixated on the wrong numbers. Yes they are accurate numbers but still irrelevant.

The total number of cases while of interest does not have much to do with what is happening now.

Now the numbers of new cases are of vital interest. (it’s the yellow highlighted column) and the number of active cases is also important.

Any country with single digits has a reasonable chance to be allowed in
Any country with double digits has a possibility to be allowed in
Any country with triple digits is not likely to be allowed in
Any country with quadruple digits has a vanishingly small chance to be allowed in
Any country with quintuple digits has no chance to be allowed in

None of the countries on the current snapshot under are likely to be allowed in.
That the USA has 10 times the number of the U.K. makes no difference it has too many,
that the numbers of new cases is rising in the USA makes no difference it has too many.
That the numbers of new cases is falling in the U.K. makes no difference it has too many
5BF2EBEB-C9ED-490A-AA50-7D9B6F745E3B.jpeg
you cannot seem to understand the difference between total and new and that 1 is of academic interest and the other is vitally important.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on May 22, 2020, 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

jai yen yen
udonmap.com
Posts: 1129
Joined: August 13, 2009, 8:35 am
Location: Canada, Hua Hin

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by jai yen yen » May 22, 2020, 7:09 am

Canada has closed the border to the U.S. and will likely remain that way for awhile, they are a lot worse off than we are at the moment. Numbers aside Thailand which loves China will allow them back first. Personally I think traveling by air will be very expensive and a lot of trouble from now on anyway. The good old days of buying a ticket and breezing through the airport onto your plane are long gone.

User avatar
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com
Posts: 5518
Joined: February 7, 2007, 9:12 am
Location: ຫຼວງພຣະບາງ, ວຽງຈັນ, ສະຫວັນນະເຂດ, ສ.ປ.ປ; ໂຕຮວນໂຕ (โทรอนโต), ແຄນາດາ (แคนาดา)

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 22, 2020, 9:17 am

jai yen yen wrote:
May 22, 2020, 7:09 am
Canada has closed the border to the U.S. and will likely remain that way for awhile, they are a lot worse off than we are at the moment. Numbers aside Thailand which loves China will allow them back first. Personally I think traveling by air will be very expensive and a lot of trouble from now on anyway. The good old days of buying a ticket and breezing through the airport onto your plane are long gone.
The closing of the U.S.-Canada border was a mutually reached decision. Some of the U.S. states are worse off than Manitoba, Saskatchewan et al, but some U.S. states like Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas are doing much better than Quebec and Ontario.
ເຮົາຈະລ່ວງພັ້ນຄວາມຕາຍໄປ່ບໍ່ໄດ

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 2239
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by Doodoo » May 22, 2020, 9:33 am

Wyoming Montana and the Dokotas dont border Ontario and certainly not Quebec

User avatar
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com
Posts: 5518
Joined: February 7, 2007, 9:12 am
Location: ຫຼວງພຣະບາງ, ວຽງຈັນ, ສະຫວັນນະເຂດ, ສ.ປ.ປ; ໂຕຮວນໂຕ (โทรอนโต), ແຄນາດາ (แคนาดา)

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 22, 2020, 10:03 am

Doodoo wrote:
May 22, 2020, 9:33 am
Wyoming Montana and the Dokotas dont border Ontario and certainly not Quebec
So, and what the heck are the Dokotas? By the way, Thunder Bay is only about 4 hours away by car, but you are correct, North Dakota does not border Ontario.
ເຮົາຈະລ່ວງພັ້ນຄວາມຕາຍໄປ່ບໍ່ໄດ

User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 5717
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: ฃอยชอบ Auckland

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by GT93 » May 22, 2020, 12:57 pm

And you're both reporting from across the Pacific.

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 2239
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by Doodoo » May 22, 2020, 2:03 pm

One thing I was always impressed was the ability for Canadians to talk about Geography.
Laan You need a little work

The Dakotas North or South do not border Ontario and definitely not Quebec some 22 hours by car
As for Thunder Bay to say Grand Forks North Dokota you quoted 4 hrs by car, yes if you are doing approximately 110mph (438 miles)

Good luck in your travels

GT I am on lockdown here in Udon

User avatar
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com
Posts: 5518
Joined: February 7, 2007, 9:12 am
Location: ຫຼວງພຣະບາງ, ວຽງຈັນ, ສະຫວັນນະເຂດ, ສ.ປ.ປ; ໂຕຮວນໂຕ (โทรอนโต), ແຄນາດາ (แคนาดา)

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 23, 2020, 2:00 am

Doodoo wrote:
May 22, 2020, 2:03 pm
One thing I was always impressed was the ability for Canadians to talk about Geography.
Laan You need a little work

The Dakotas North or South do not border Ontario and definitely not Quebec some 22 hours by car
As for Thunder Bay to say Grand Forks North Dokota you quoted 4 hrs by car, yes if you are doing approximately 110mph (438 miles)

Good luck in your travels

GT I am on lockdown here in Udon
The point I was trying to make is that Ontario is not far from North Dakota. I did not use Grand Forks as an example. A better choice to demonstrate Ontario is not that far from North Dakota would be to drive from Kenora, Ontario to Winnipeg, Manitoba and then south to Pembina, North Dakota. Of course, a straight line between Kenora and Pembina would be even shorter. Work completed.
ເຮົາຈະລ່ວງພັ້ນຄວາມຕາຍໄປ່ບໍ່ໄດ

User avatar
Shado
udonmap.com
Posts: 1680
Joined: January 22, 2007, 4:58 am
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by Shado » May 23, 2020, 7:57 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
May 22, 2020, 9:17 am
jai yen yen wrote:
May 22, 2020, 7:09 am
Canada has closed the border to the U.S. and will likely remain that way for awhile, they are a lot worse off than we are at the moment. Numbers aside Thailand which loves China will allow them back first. Personally I think traveling by air will be very expensive and a lot of trouble from now on anyway. The good old days of buying a ticket and breezing through the airport onto your plane are long gone.
The closing of the U.S.-Canada border was a mutually reached decision. Some of the U.S. states are worse off than Manitoba, Saskatchewan et al, but some U.S. states like Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas are doing much better than Quebec and Ontario.
When I read LYM's response to jai yen yen's post I understood his comment on the border closing between the USA and Canada being mutually agreed on. Then I understood his comment that some of the States (regarding the CV-19) were much worse off than provinces of western Canada and some States were doing much better than the more eastern provinces of Canada. Nowhere did I understand that he was inferring that states like Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas bordered on Ontario or Quebec.

Post Reply

Return to “Open Forum”