Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
noosard
udonmap.com

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by noosard » May 21, 2020, 4:20 pm

4.25% of world population with approximately 30% of the known cases

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 21, 2020, 10:43 pm

mech_401 wrote:
May 21, 2020, 11:42 am
we have 250k cases in u.k. and 1.5 million in u.s. 60 million people in u.k. , 360 million in u.s. ( total population) the proportions are nearly identical?

all these extraneous factors you mix in the equation, are equally true for u.k. population ?
It makes bugger all difference as if you have 7 figures or 5 figures of active cases, 95,000 new cases a day or 3,560 (26 times smaller) of new cases, neither country is going to have people entering Thailand any time soon.

The U.K. to be equal to the USA would have over 19,000 new cases per day.
Your Population numbers are wrong U.K. 67 million USA 330
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 21, 2020, 11:24 pm

you keep throwing up #'s and graphs but you're not being intellectually honest . spain , italy , france , u.k. , peru all have statistics that deviate only slightly from u.s. figures . which is not 5x worse or even 2x worse.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 22, 2020, 3:39 am

Udon Map wrote:
May 21, 2020, 1:44 pm
mech_401 wrote:
May 21, 2020, 8:10 am
get off it . there are 360 million people in u.s.a.
Actually, more like 330 million.
I hope Thailand doesn't rush to accept tourists from the US or other similar Covid 19 rampant countries.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 22, 2020, 6:52 am

mech_401 wrote:
May 21, 2020, 11:24 pm
you keep throwing up #'s and graphs but you're not being intellectually honest . spain , italy , france , u.k. , peru all have statistics that deviate only slightly from u.s. figures . which is not 5x worse or even 2x worse.
You are fixated on the wrong numbers. Yes they are accurate numbers but still irrelevant.

The total number of cases while of interest does not have much to do with what is happening now.

Now the numbers of new cases are of vital interest. (it’s the yellow highlighted column) and the number of active cases is also important.

Any country with single digits has a reasonable chance to be allowed in
Any country with double digits has a possibility to be allowed in
Any country with triple digits is not likely to be allowed in
Any country with quadruple digits has a vanishingly small chance to be allowed in
Any country with quintuple digits has no chance to be allowed in

None of the countries on the current snapshot under are likely to be allowed in.
That the USA has 10 times the number of the U.K. makes no difference it has too many,
that the numbers of new cases is rising in the USA makes no difference it has too many.
That the numbers of new cases is falling in the U.K. makes no difference it has too many
5BF2EBEB-C9ED-490A-AA50-7D9B6F745E3B.jpeg
you cannot seem to understand the difference between total and new and that 1 is of academic interest and the other is vitally important.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on May 22, 2020, 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » May 22, 2020, 7:09 am

Canada has closed the border to the U.S. and will likely remain that way for awhile, they are a lot worse off than we are at the moment. Numbers aside Thailand which loves China will allow them back first. Personally I think traveling by air will be very expensive and a lot of trouble from now on anyway. The good old days of buying a ticket and breezing through the airport onto your plane are long gone.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 22, 2020, 9:17 am

jai yen yen wrote:
May 22, 2020, 7:09 am
Canada has closed the border to the U.S. and will likely remain that way for awhile, they are a lot worse off than we are at the moment. Numbers aside Thailand which loves China will allow them back first. Personally I think traveling by air will be very expensive and a lot of trouble from now on anyway. The good old days of buying a ticket and breezing through the airport onto your plane are long gone.
The closing of the U.S.-Canada border was a mutually reached decision. Some of the U.S. states are worse off than Manitoba, Saskatchewan et al, but some U.S. states like Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas are doing much better than Quebec and Ontario.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 22, 2020, 9:33 am

Wyoming Montana and the Dokotas dont border Ontario and certainly not Quebec

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 22, 2020, 10:03 am

Doodoo wrote:
May 22, 2020, 9:33 am
Wyoming Montana and the Dokotas dont border Ontario and certainly not Quebec
So, and what the heck are the Dokotas? By the way, Thunder Bay is only about 4 hours away by car, but you are correct, North Dakota does not border Ontario.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 22, 2020, 12:57 pm

And you're both reporting from across the Pacific.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 22, 2020, 2:03 pm

One thing I was always impressed was the ability for Canadians to talk about Geography.
Laan You need a little work

The Dakotas North or South do not border Ontario and definitely not Quebec some 22 hours by car
As for Thunder Bay to say Grand Forks North Dokota you quoted 4 hrs by car, yes if you are doing approximately 110mph (438 miles)

Good luck in your travels

GT I am on lockdown here in Udon

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 23, 2020, 2:00 am

Doodoo wrote:
May 22, 2020, 2:03 pm
One thing I was always impressed was the ability for Canadians to talk about Geography.
Laan You need a little work

The Dakotas North or South do not border Ontario and definitely not Quebec some 22 hours by car
As for Thunder Bay to say Grand Forks North Dokota you quoted 4 hrs by car, yes if you are doing approximately 110mph (438 miles)

Good luck in your travels

GT I am on lockdown here in Udon
The point I was trying to make is that Ontario is not far from North Dakota. I did not use Grand Forks as an example. A better choice to demonstrate Ontario is not that far from North Dakota would be to drive from Kenora, Ontario to Winnipeg, Manitoba and then south to Pembina, North Dakota. Of course, a straight line between Kenora and Pembina would be even shorter. Work completed.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 23, 2020, 7:57 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
May 22, 2020, 9:17 am
jai yen yen wrote:
May 22, 2020, 7:09 am
The closing of the U.S.-Canada border was a mutually reached decision. Some of the U.S. states are worse off than Manitoba, Saskatchewan et al, but some U.S. states like Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas are doing much better than Quebec and Ontario.
When I read LYM's response to jai yen yen's post I understood his comment on the border closing between the USA and Canada being mutually agreed on. Then I understood his comment that some of the States (regarding the CV-19) were much worse off than provinces of western Canada and some States were doing much better than the more eastern provinces of Canada. Nowhere did I understand that he was inferring that states like Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas bordered on Ontario or Quebec.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 27, 2020, 8:01 am

Again, marooned on the other side of the Pacific:
I doubt the Thai government is going to care that one state in the US is clear of Covid while another isn't. I'll guess they'll look at the overall daily tally and say it's not worth the risk.
Meanwhile......my May flight, rescheduled for June, cancelled, and now rescheduled for July. ANA has been very accommodating. Today they told me if I can't fly in July because the airport is shut, I can reschedule again.....or refund my return trip ticket.
I give my July flight back about a 50/50 at this point, but that's being optimistic.
Texas is opened up......parks packed, grocery stores packed, more people going without masks, although they are still the norm. I watch the nightly news and wonder, 'What do the Thais think about this?' หนึืงแสน
I'm now at the point of using google pay or samsung pay for most of my purchases. No touch, instant receipt, no need to pull out the credit card and press a few buttons. I think I mentioned it in an earlier post, but this time in Texas (2 years since), I haven't seen a single checkwriter at the stores. Generation X has converted and most of the boomers have died off. Three+ months here and I haven't used an ATM. I still carry some cash.......but just in case.
I've been able to maintain a mostly Thai diet thanks to the proliferation of Asian markets in Texas. While I've given up on tortillas (for the most part), a nightly margarita with grated ginger and slices of seranno pepper, with a rim coated with chilli pepper and grapefruit salt seems to have kept the Corona bug away.
Missing Thailand....plan B.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 27, 2020, 9:30 am

Talking to my brother hes in a similar boat as you Parrot ..

he returned to the UK to sort out some family bizz on Feb 18 2020 , planning a month stay then back to his wife and young son who live here in the North of Thailand .. he has no idea when he will be able to return and when possible what the criteria will entail , hes been lucky as his flight was cancelled and can be rescheduled and managed to get a good Job in Nottingham on a 6 month gig.

He is worried to say the least but not a lot he can do

I was planning a trip back tot he UK at some stage in 2020 to see my daughter and a grandson ive never met .. but definately not happening now and maybe 2021 ..... or never if the regs on returning are OTT.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 27, 2020, 9:35 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 27, 2020, 9:30 am
if the regs on returning are OTT
Yes, Jon,
This is the sticking point for all, I think.
As I've said on another post, even the simple border run is out of the question too.

I also was planning a trip to Oz and USA this year.
Even if I can get out to go, it's coming back in, where the problem lies, and I'm reluctant to leave until I find out what, exactly, will those requirements be?

Big problem, for me, and no doubt, many others.
mick

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 27, 2020, 11:16 am

Turns out the visa relaxation untill the 31st of July don't apply as such to me , as I have a multiply entry non O visa I'm exempt untill boarders open again . It's a boarder pass which means I could leave and enter Thailand as many times as I like. So the theory is if they don't open the boarder by 31st of July I'm still covered past that date as my visa relies on boarders being open.. don't we love All this mess. My problem is realising when they do open then I have 7 days to cross , and can you imagine 3-4 months of people trying to cross in one week ,and how busy consulates will be with possibly 10s of thousands needing new visas . Oh the joy the next couple of months will bring
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

cjd01
udonmap.com

Post by cjd01 » May 27, 2020, 11:34 am

papafarang wrote:
May 27, 2020, 11:16 am
Turns out the visa relaxation untill the 31st of July don't apply as such to me , as I have a multiply entry non O visa I'm exempt untill boarders open again . It's a boarder pass which means I could leave and enter Thailand as many times as I like. So the theory is if they don't open the boarder by 31st of July I'm still covered past that date as my visa relies on boarders being open.. don't we love All this mess. My problem is realising when they do open then I have 7 days to cross , and can you imagine 3-4 months of people trying to cross in one week ,and how busy consulates will be with possibly 10s of thousands needing new visas . Oh the joy the next couple of months will bring
Can you explain where you got this info
I have an multi entry OA due for to expire in July but if could cross a border would get an extra year
Thanks

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » May 27, 2020, 11:35 am

Papafarang you lost me... If you have a multiple entry Non O visa, which is a permission of stay, unless your permission of stay has expired, or will expire before July 31st, why would you need to cross the border within 7 days after July 31st? ? Why the 7 days ?
Thanks for the info. Stay safe , have a pleasant day.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 27, 2020, 11:38 am

Cj
Im in same boat is you
Im gunna apply for a 1 year extension of stay. Gives us a year with only 90 day reporting.
Apparrently can then do that forever.
Bit more work than non o outside country but once done once, should be easy after that.
Mick

Return to “Open Forum”