internet providers

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
timmy
udonmap.com

internet providers

Post by timmy » May 22, 2020, 12:43 pm

can any body recommend a new internet provider as TRUE who we,re with at the moment are a P.I.T.A … we had probs last week then its just been off for another 24 hours , now we pay about 640 baht a month not sure on speed , but ready for a change , any ideas ?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: internet providers

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 22, 2020, 1:45 pm

IMO all the internet providers are crap , just some slightly less crap then others when it comes to down time ... you pay the full monthly payment for 30 days yet most months recently service been off for a few hours or days with no rebate on the next monthly bill.. always some ------ poor excuse about a storm or weather to hot or .."big problem" .. ******* makes my blood boil ..

Im with 3BB and their office is just 100m away so at least i can go rattle the cage when it does go down.

3BB or TOT yer only real options timmy take yer pick.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » May 22, 2020, 3:03 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 22, 2020, 1:45 pm
IMO all the internet providers are crap , just some slightly less crap then others when it comes to down time ... you pay the full monthly payment for 30 days yet most months recently service been off for a few hours or days with no rebate on the next monthly bill.. always some ------ poor excuse about a storm or weather to hot or .."big problem" .. ******* makes my blood boil ..

Im with 3BB and their office is just 100m away so at least i can go rattle the cage when it does go down.

3BB or TOT yer only real options timmy take yer pick.

DM
DM we are with 3BB in Tanadorn and to be honest never had any issue and very limited downtime, had true and TOT before far worse service and many episodes of downtime

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 22, 2020, 5:57 pm

So 3BB may be your best option timmy ... Dr has had a tad more luck with them than i have tho i agree they / 3BB do seem better than TOT ..... and True you already know are BS.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 22, 2020, 6:04 pm

I'm with 3BB also.
Does go off ocassionally, but usually not for more than a few hours.
Pretty happy with them.
Mick

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » May 22, 2020, 6:07 pm

for internet service it is best to check with people in your area on what works and what does not work in your area.

I have both 3BB and True, both work fine in my area of Ban Leuam, and are up 99.9% of the time. Had 3BB (50Mbps) since they bought it from phone company, and True (150Mbps) for around maybe 5 years.

True is 3 times faster, but for what I do can't see a difference. Sometimes when a site seems to be slow, I switch and 99% of time it is slow on the other service also. So it's there not here.

On another topic: My landline as in Phone has been down for about a month+, have called doz of times for service and have seen NONE! :roll:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 22, 2020, 7:06 pm

The only reason we had a landline 15 years ago was you needed one to get TTT internet. The phone line died in that people who called would ask us later why we never answered. We never heard it ring but it was handy for calling TTT when the internet had infrequent issues. Reported the no ringing issue every time we paid the bill and they would "test" the line and say it was OK but no tech ever came to the house.

Roll forward a few years and 3BB ran their own line and mobile phone coverage was better so we paid TTT's last bill and booked the disconnect. They said the tech would call us to arrange an appointment! Needless to say our phone never rang and when we didn't get a bill, I just ripped out their junk myself.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 22, 2020, 7:12 pm

Back on topic: we are east side ring road @ Nong Sai road and 3BB has been mostly excellent. They were also excellent on both of our Pattaya residencies and never felt tempted to try the rest. When True were touting their Pattaya fiber rollout, they reckoned it was another 6 months to reach our bit of the dark side so we stuck with 3BB who eventually rolled out their own fiber upgrades much faster. May be they benefited from having better infrastructure and only needed upgrades whereas True was all new?

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » May 22, 2020, 8:19 pm

tamada wrote:
May 22, 2020, 7:06 pm
The only reason we had a landline 15 years ago was you needed one to get TTT internet. The phone line died in that people who called would ask us later why we never answered.
I guess same here, on the eastside got TTT so that I could get internet, then on the westside got TOT for same reason.

Used my cell to check line many times and always rang, plus phone company seemed to always call to tell us that the bill was pass due. :-)

figure keeping landline was a no brainer, cost 100 baht a month, and when I need to call US collect or otherwise worked great. The quality sounded like I was sitting next to them.
Then last month, I needed to call US collect and found phone not working. Also learned that I was blocked from calling international on my cell. A Catch 22, dam if you do, dam if you don't.

Got one fixed but still waiting on other and still have not made the call, maybe next week. :lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 22, 2020, 8:35 pm

^ It is possible that they have some restrictions to maintenance and repairs due to the current situation? Workers furloughed, techs "working from home", etc.. I will admit that once in a while I wish I could pick up a phone and call a 1-800 to get something sorted out quick that doesn't cost a fortune on mobile rates. Do you find getting through a slew of unnecessary extra questions and unwanted options to inevitably get to a human being? I have found repeatedly pressing '0' usually gets to a live rep quickly but not always.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » May 22, 2020, 8:51 pm

tamada wrote:
May 22, 2020, 8:35 pm
^ It is possible that they have some restrictions to maintenance and repairs due to the current situation? Workers furloughed, techs "working from home", etc.. I will admit that once in a while I wish I could pick up a phone and call a 1-800 to get something sorted out quick that doesn't cost a fortune on mobile rates. Do you find getting through a slew of unnecessary extra questions and unwanted options to inevitably get to a human being? I have found repeatedly pressing '0' usually gets to a live rep quickly but not always.
ya, maybe. figured it has something to do with lockdown, for never had problem with service for either landline or internet, showing up the next day, more likely the same day.

Have not use it in long while, can't remember last time, but used the following for US (will guess 001 is US country code?)

001-999-111-11 When asked for the telephone number you are calling, press zero or stay on the line for assistance from an operator to call collect.

Tried it on cell before change and got msg international calls are blocked.

Maybe next week will try it from cell.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » May 22, 2020, 9:28 pm

We’re on 3BB & only had one instance of it being down in the last 13 months since installation. Funnily enough it was 3 days after I decided to upgrade to their GIgatainment pack. Think it must have been a whole zone & not just us because I got a text apologising for it being down. Back up & running after about 3 hrs. I then had a problem of slow speeds, although they were still reasonably fast, just not what I was paying for. Two engineer visits, who are just chancers the world over & bullsh!t you until you can’t wade through any more & the speed was back up to acceptable

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » May 23, 2020, 7:22 am

thanks for all the info every body , it looks like 3BB is the way to go ..
I forgot to say with TRUE when you do have a problem , getting to talk with I real live person is murder , its either
a robot or some chap from Calcutta ...

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 23, 2020, 8:06 am

^ Another win for 3BB then. I have found their English-speaking support staff are very good on the few instances I needed to call them.

More recently, when there was a more extensive outage, they send an SMS alert so there was no need to call.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » May 23, 2020, 8:33 am

I raised the issue first time through the app as I didn’t fancy trying to explain it over the phone. An agent called me back within the hour & could speak perfect English.
This left a number in my recents on my phone & about a week later Mrs N was wanting to call someone & pressed this number my mistake. It can only have rung once if at all before she noticed & hung up. 10 minutes later the English speaking agent called asking if everything was okay as she’d seen the missed call in her register
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 23, 2020, 11:21 am

I had so much grief with True that I was irritated enough to cut up throw away my three True SIM cards. They insisted that my equipment was at fault and their Internet was OK. I asked them why AIS pre-paid was working fine. No answer. My wife was not able to cancel the post paid account where she signed up. She had to drive 50 kilometers to a main office to cancel, then she had to pay another month in advance just to cancel.

Since them I have TOT fiber and it is fast and dependable. It was once down for three days and my wife was too stubborn to call them. She finally called and a serviceman was there that same afternoon. The village handyman had dropped a tree limb and tore the line in half. It was immediately repaired and all was and still is well. YMMV.

cjd01
udonmap.com

Post by cjd01 » May 23, 2020, 11:47 am

I had 2 Cat lines, 1 business and 1 home, tried to upgrade the home internet, yes had to drive to their office to change package and of course they then upgraded the business line not the home line and of course they said it was my fault.
after about a week it got sorted out but enough changed the home line to 3BB couldn't be happier

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 7, 2020, 6:15 pm

we have changed true to ais fiber , as true has no fiber lines available at our address , went friday to ais office ,installed today and working fine for now , 472Mbs download, 198 upload with speed test on lan cable , 640 baht/month incl.vat,
wifi connected 119 Mbps down/298 up ...as info ;)

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”