Post by noosard » May 16, 2020, 5:40 pm

I see they have ripped some of bouncy ring road
thought was a good idea to now start of the possible rainy season
I suppose the rains will keep the dust down

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Ring Road

Post by vincemunday » May 16, 2020, 5:56 pm

If it rains it will be carnage, you already see the cars and pickups drifting on the loose detritus they leave on the surface, unfortunately not many have the common sense to slow down, I’m surprised there hasn’t already been one or two in the klong that runs down the middle.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 16, 2020, 6:13 pm

Went down there recently and its a nightmare .. that stretch of road is destined never ever to be made good and to a high standard of silky smoothness .. this new attempt is crazy at exactly the wrong time of year to have a chance to succeed .

So it will be a bomb site again within a few short months after its completed... TIT ..

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 16, 2020, 6:38 pm

Be fair DM, if it was done at the "right" time of year, it would be months before the contractors were sent for to do any repairs ............no work for contractors means no "bungs" for those employing contractors

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 16, 2020, 6:52 pm

Tested it the other night on a curfew buster run. Once you get up above 100 kph, it's remarkably smooth. Couldn't see bugger all behind me either.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 16, 2020, 7:16 pm

That would be because of the nonsense and dust you was kicking up, that’s the other problem.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 16, 2020, 8:13 pm

^ But it was on the cusp of 10 p.m. vince so nobody should have been out. BTW, I was doing a real-time, essential curfew assessment for DM. I now know where 3 ring road curfew checkpoints are located.

But in the daytime, even moderate traffic kicks up dust that drifts over the westbound lanes. It's always the westernmost half that falls apart first. The east bit is mostly OK until you get closer to the Highway 2 lights.

What's the odds on A getting it done before real rain, and B it holding up for 12 months?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 16, 2020, 10:03 pm

tamada wrote:
May 16, 2020, 8:13 pm
^ But it was on the cusp of 10 p.m. vince so nobody should have been out. BTW, I was doing a real-time, essential curfew assessment for DM. I now know where 3 ring road curfew checkpoints are located.

But in the daytime, even moderate traffic kicks up dust that drifts over the westbound lanes. It's always the westernmost half that falls apart first. The east bit is mostly OK until you get closer to the Highway 2 lights.

What's the odds on A getting it done before real rain, and B it holding up for 12 months?
Zero

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 17, 2020, 3:59 am

still large sections of ring road sporadically without overhead lights & turn signal outages

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 17, 2020, 7:54 am

what part of the ring road are you guys talking about ?

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » May 17, 2020, 8:04 am

Odds are Zero these guys have contracts o my to repair the roads so why do a good job when it will cost you money. They do half attempts knowing they will be back soon to fix again. Makes sense to me as a contractor but Government should be controlling unless the roads management team are well rewarded. This stretch of road was single lane until a few years ago the single lane road has hardly needed repairs over the years but the new one has had countless repairs go figure

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 17, 2020, 8:41 am

Spot on .. upgraded roads ie single lane to dual receive more funding for repairs .. so they are the ones which are done poorly not to last then the contractors get the repair work on going ...knowing the funds are there in the highways budget ..where as for rural and single lane often the budget has mysteriously drifted off in to space as rural roads less traffic not as important .. more than likely the reason there are different sections with in the overall highways department just lends itself to budget fiddling.

IMO the side of the ring road section in question that runs Mariwan Villa side is the older of the two sides and will never be in any sort of decent state however many times its repaired and repaired and ...

DM

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » May 17, 2020, 9:33 am

I watched that side being built from the swamps up it was never built correctly to begin with that side was always probe to flooding and they never out the right infill down or reinforced it properly that's why it tends to sink. The old side is much better which is the Tanadorn side but I hate the fact I have to go all the way up to the traffic lights to turn back for going I to town

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 17, 2020, 9:45 am

So was Tannadorn or Mariwan to original single lane ring road ?? .. dunno why but i thought Mariwan was and thats the side that is totally knackered .. Tannadorn side is not in bad shape.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 17, 2020, 9:48 am

The so-called Tannandon side was the original road, re-tarmacked. The Maliwan side was a new build that the original road builders screwed up, was redone and again redone , everytime a little better , shows sheer incompetence by the builders and the Highways agency for NOT checking the build. poor substrata hence top surface problems, built the same a the local roads NOT as a Highway. Saving money or too much in peoples pockets, take your pick

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 17, 2020, 10:25 am

If you turn on the timeline or history feature on google earth, you can see the ---- southern bypass from when it was dirt road to paved single lane to the current rough as guts dual carriageway.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » May 21, 2020, 4:17 pm

Just saw this. I live in Maliwan Villa, for now, hopefully moving soon. I watched that road built over what was a drainage ditch of sorts, always wet, great spot for the water boo to keep cool. It was needed, but from the beginning it was done wrong. I only had experience in building one road, unpaved, gravel, through what was pasture part of the year and marsh the rest. Don't fall in a hole, gator just might like you to stay. The foreman I surveyed for knew his job. It was mucked out completely, down to dry earth, lined with a waterproof plastic designed just for that. All layers consisted of lifts of no more than 4 inches. Solidly packed. The finish was a plastic mesh filled with small rock and then gravel. Every thing was packed, packed and packed. Built to carry extremely heavy trucks to the intercoastal canal. Hurricane Ike put 25 feet of water ashore, 12 miles inland, the road was still there. Btw, this was government built, not private contractor. Had they built the new section the same it would have worked. It was never even mucked out to dry dirt.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 21, 2020, 4:23 pm

The top surface was layed over mud and water filled holes in places

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » May 21, 2020, 7:04 pm

That is how they build roads here, totally not a clue

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”