VE Day

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
tamada
udonmap.com

VE Day

Post by tamada » May 8, 2020, 10:22 pm

UK media making the most of possibly the last living generation to celebrate the end of the horror replete with abstruse references to the current Covid 19 "battle".

Anyone know how they're celebrating in Germany?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: VE Day

Post by stattointhailand » May 9, 2020, 12:04 am

"we'll meet again" ......... as soon as they open the bl**dy pubs again

Just seen the Orange one saluting the wreath (he didnt learn that in the army).......... more likely adjusting his syrup .... it was windy

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 9, 2020, 1:10 am

When they open, pubs will be for youngsters. Too risky for older geezers. So VE Day might get a mention on the telly and among those having a sherry at home but not much in the pubs.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 9, 2020, 6:41 am

stattointhailand wrote:
May 9, 2020, 12:04 am
"we'll meet again" ......... as soon as they open the bl**dy pubs again

Just seen the Orange one saluting the wreath (he didnt learn that in the army).......... more likely adjusting his syrup .... it was windy
Statto .. can resist a Trump dig before bed =; .. are you blaming the wind on DT as well.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 9, 2020, 8:47 am

A little sad that no one has seen fit to actually post anything about the point of this day .
Is it not about remembering the millions who sacrificed a lot so that we today could live in freedom .
Those lucky enough to survive should be thanked , and those who lost their lives should be remembered .
V E day is to me anyways not a thing to score a few political points , or to say whom may frequent a bar in the future .
Its a day to remember with human resolve , the likes of which many of us have never had to draw on , good did over come evil , freedom did overcome a nation brainwashed into believing that they were better than anyone else .
I would of thought something for us all to think about and be thankful for .

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 9, 2020, 10:24 am

We seem to forget that the enormous sacrifices made in our name by others which allow us to be irreverent, sarcastic, able to accuse without fear and call anyone what we like when we like , despise our leaders and generally talk trash because we can .
We abuse those freedoms with barely a thought to how we gained them. Sad as humans we like what we have yet fail constantly to remember how we got them .
To those that have given lives since 1914 to present day we owe a debt to ensure the future is better .

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » May 9, 2020, 10:40 am

Watch the QUEEN 's VE day message and you will know that the World, and the UK in particular, cherish these values and sacrifices by all who contributed to this gigantic effort. The QUEEN's message offers hope for the future to all and salutes the men and women of today toiling so hard to ensure a safe UK, yes the streets are filled with kindness and thanks. The politic-free and all inclusive QUEEN's message reflects the spirit of a Country united to fight for a common goal.
In the meantime over the Pond .....

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 9, 2020, 10:46 am

I did see the Queens message and thought it was very good . Despite what some colonials may think , and brits come to that .Britain is lucky to have her .

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » May 9, 2020, 5:16 pm

people across the pond , are generally being quiet
& respectful. you brits could learn some manners though

Sateeb
udonmap.com

Post by Sateeb » May 9, 2020, 10:56 pm

cali4995 wrote:
May 9, 2020, 5:16 pm
Pity the Germans didn't have any around 1939, like oh you know playing marching music a bit loud and invading neighbours.

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » May 10, 2020, 12:51 am

that's right , contrary to fantasies of so many of
brits , you did not defeat axis-powers singlehanded

a little gratitude might be in order , and manners

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » May 10, 2020, 2:04 am

tamada wrote:
May 8, 2020, 10:22 pm
UK media making the most of possibly the last living generation to celebrate the end of the horror replete with abstruse references to the current Covid 19 "battle".

“At the time, we were liberated. Today, we must liberate ourselves… From hatred and hate speech, from xenophobia and contempt for democracy – for they are but the old evil in a new guise.”
The President of Germany marks 75 years since the end of the war in Europe.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1258759303328038913

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » May 10, 2020, 8:15 am

Well I must admit to a distinct touch of nostalgia over the last few days culminating in the Queens speech, yes even flying my RAF roundel flag, which I don't normally do out of respect for my neighbors, but how could I not? That day 75 years ago is forever engraved on my memory and will be until the day I die. After 6 long years of war and deprivation of everything from food and nearly everything else that today we take so much for granted, spending nearly every night hiding down a deep basement with all the rest of the women and children, our neighbors in central London where we lived, like a lot of scared rats in a sewer, singing at the top of our voices to drown out the sound of the bombs exploding around us so the younger kids wouldn't be so scared , then in the morning coming back up to street level to see what happened during the darkness, is our home still there or is it just another pile of rubble. Words could never portray the emotions we all experienced every night for 6 long years . So come VE day it was like a rebirth, yes we all went mad my mother took me down the dilly as she called it where we joined thousands of others around the statue of Eros , still boarded up in it's war time protection but nether the less still the center of focus for everyone, my rather sedate old mother was caught on news cameras climbing a lamppost, whilst I was placed on top of a post office red letter collection box. helped up there by a kindly American service man in uniform who must have got the Impression we were all mad, we were all drunk on the highest of highs, much more than any alcohol could give .
A night to remember or a night impossible to forget, for me the latter .Thank God although all my immediate family survived, we did lose our home to a bomb early on in the conflict , the stuff of my dreams occasionally even now 75 years later .
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 10, 2020, 8:43 am

tinpeeba wrote:
May 10, 2020, 2:04 am
tamada wrote:
May 8, 2020, 10:22 pm

“At the time, we were liberated. Today, we must liberate ourselves… From hatred and hate speech, from xenophobia and contempt for democracy – for they are but the old evil in a new guise.”
The President of Germany marks 75 years since the end of the war in Europe.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1258759303328038913
Thanks for answering directly.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » May 10, 2020, 8:49 am

Good day .. Mr OLD GRUMPY,
Thanks for sharing your war-time experience, as a child.
Wishing you many many more happy, safe, peaceful, retirement years and good health.
Enjoy.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 12, 2020, 6:46 pm

cali4995 wrote:
May 9, 2020, 5:16 pm
Cali,

The simple truth is that the USA did not enter WWII willingly. The allies fought against the Axis powers alone until the Japs kicked the snot out of America at Pearl Harbour, even then you did not declare war with Germany, finally, Hitler declared war on America December 7, 1941.

America had no choice.

Yes, the economic and military might of the USA assured the Allies of winning, but lets not fool ourselves, America did not come to the aid of the Allies, America was forced into the war The USA stood by, having allowed much of Europe to fall by the time America was dragged into the war. Most of Europe had been conquered with Britain and Russia being the only allied powers holding Germany back.

WWII did not start December 7, 1941. It started September 1, 1939.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 12, 2020, 7:45 pm

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 13, 2020, 8:31 am

An interesting vid Stats. I watched the first 15 minutes or so, too long for me to watch the whole lot.

While Galloway is accurate about the Russian and Chinese roll in WWII, he fails to put things into perspective to a reasonable extent about Russia.

Russia was an ally to Germany, when Hitler invaded Poland, Russia also invaded Poland from the East and seized Polish territory. They did not enter the war for altruistic purposes, and while they certainly helped defeat Germany, they then took control of Eastern Europe with the same ruthlessness as Germany's occupation forces.

Frankly, nothing praise worthy about Russia's involvement in WWII.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 13, 2020, 9:31 am

^ Unless you totally discount the profound impact that their war of attrition on the Eastern Front had on the Third Reich.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 13, 2020, 10:01 am

Not praise worthy, it was horrible for the poor people who suffered, not that Stalin cared for his people, he had already murdered around 20 million before the war. Praise comes from actively doing something that is praiseworthy, defending yourself under a relentless attack is not wrong. Politically, Russia's role in WWII was pretty awful

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”