udonmap.com

Re: The source of the coronvirus??

Post by saint » May 7, 2020, 7:31 am

GT93 wrote:
May 7, 2020, 12:56 am
vincemunday wrote:
May 5, 2020, 9:36 pm
No accounting for taste Dean
I enjoy Tsing Tao but I don't think my taste buds are connected to some sort of fundamental reality or truth that escapes others.

I think the initial Chinese response to the virus was just incompetence from local officials. When the Chinese state got involved, it was unlike the US and UK still to this day, competently managed. Sure there was a period where they should have been more open but they seem to me to have been way more truthful than Trump.

The next pandemic could easily come from an animal such as a pig and could first arise in a western country. The current pandemic has shown how hopelessly unprepared western countries would be to a pandemic arising in their own countries.
It appears you agree with the Chinese official figures , and you think the local officials were to blame ? is that correct .
If you honestly believe that the the officials in Bejing were in the dark for even a nano second in the country that has more survaylance of its people than any other , and that they did not know what was happening for the start , then im afraid you are more naive than i first though .

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 7, 2020, 7:35 am

Do you live in a Zoo , or is she Chinese . dettol only kills 99% germs , try hydracloric acid , diluted of course .

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » May 7, 2020, 8:16 am

I've been using my 90% chlorine from the swimming pool.a few spoonful in a gallon does the trick.it costs 110b for a kg but have to buy in bulk.i do like dettol but its way too expensive and nowhere near as powerful.last time I came back I threw a bottle of domestos in with the goodies and my kitchen was super sterile for a couple of months but as usual the mrs hated the smell of cleanliness and it's even worse now it's a mix of chlorine and some mr muscle as it's useless as a cleaner but helps make it smell better...has anyone notice that any sort of these spray super cleaners are just nice smelling brick cleaning acids.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 7, 2020, 9:46 am

Here is an update on MUTATIONS, makes for interesting reading , food for thought.
Coronavirus mutations: Scientists puzzle over impact
By Rachel Schraer
Health reporter
6 May 2020

Researchers in the US and UK have identified hundreds of mutations to the virus which causes the disease Covid-19.
But none has yet established what this will mean for virus spread in the population and for how effective a vaccine might be.
Viruses mutate - it's what they do.
The question is: which of these mutations actually do anything to change the severity or infectiousness of the disease?
Preliminary research from the US has suggested one particular mutation - D614G - is becoming dominant and could make the disease more infectious.
It hasn't yet been reviewed by other scientists and formally published.
The researchers, from the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico, have been tracking changes to the "spike" of the virus that gives it its distinctive shape, using a database called the Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data (GISAID).
They noted there seems to be something about this particular mutation that makes it grow more quickly - but the consequences of this are not yet clear.
The research team analysed UK data from coronavirus patients in Sheffield. Although they found people with that particular mutation of the virus seemed to have a larger amount of the virus in their samples, they didn't find evidence that those people became sicker or stayed in hospital for longer.
'Mutations not a bad thing'
Another study from University College London (UCL) identified 198 recurring mutations to the virus.
One of its authors, Professor Francois Balloux, said: "Mutations in themselves are not a bad thing and there is nothing to suggest SARS-CoV-2 is mutating faster or slower than expected.
"So far, we cannot say whether SARS-CoV-2 is becoming more or less lethal and contagious."
A study from the University of Glasgow, which also analysed mutations, said these changes did not amount to different strains of the virus. They concluded that only one type of the virus is currently circulating.
Monitoring small changes to the structure of the virus is important in understanding the development of vaccines.
Take the 'flu virus: it mutates so fast that the vaccine has to be adjusted every year to deal with the specific strain in circulation.
Drug development
Many of the Covid-19 vaccines currently in development target the distinctive spikes of the virus - the idea is that getting your body to recognise a unique element of the spike will help it to fight off the whole virus. But if that spike is changing, a vaccine developed this way could become less effective.
At the moment this is all theoretical. Scientists don't yet have enough information to say what changes to the virus's genome will mean.
Dr Lucy van Dorp, UCL study co-author, said being able to analyse a large number of virus genomes could be "invaluable to drug development efforts".
However, she told the BBC: "I love genomes, but there is only so much they can say."

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 7, 2020, 2:04 pm

deankham wrote:
May 5, 2020, 9:42 pm
Depends where your drinking it ;)

Sitting in a Chinese restaurant in the UK on a cold damp day does nothing for me. Same as you mentioned likewise Kingfisher in some fake Indian restaurant.

It tastes damn nice in China, Hong Kong and Macau. The Stout version if a rare treat!

Dean, found in Tesco Express store Kham Kling, quite cheap too.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » May 7, 2020, 7:48 pm

^ wow good to know. I may have to send my wife on a field trip while I'm locked outside the country.

She was a big fan of it too when we lived in Hong Kong although her favourite was another local drink called Blue Girl which I've never seen anywhere else in the world.

Sorry we have moved off from Covid to a more interesting subject \:D/

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » May 7, 2020, 8:41 pm

They have Tsing Tao in Tops at Central Plaza Udon Thani....have done for a year or two... about 89 baht for a large bottle from memory.
I,ve still got one left in the fridge at home .
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 7, 2020, 9:53 pm

Both Worthington E, and Fosters Bitter will kill anything, Warning.... taken orally is about as tasty as being delivered via an enema.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 8, 2020, 8:42 am

The picture emerging about the source of the virus is getting clearer. More likely from the wet market than the lab. What is more, it is patently obvious that the White House is engaged in a dishonest beat-up of the lab theory for their own selfish political purposes and they have been caught out.

By falsely stating they had evidence, and now backing off, they are impeding a proper investigation on the spread which is important to getting regulations in place to mimimise a repeat of this pandemic.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 54qsv.html
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 8, 2020, 8:52 am

^ Not to worry. Chinese exports moved unexpectedly into +ve numbers for Q1 with the knock-on effect of strengthening global markets. Even oil prices picked up.

The unfortunate truth (for some) is the Chinese are the savior of the economic world which is tough titty for all those touting isolation, fines, censure and nuking.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 8, 2020, 9:01 am

tamada wrote:
May 8, 2020, 8:52 am
^ Not to worry. Chinese exports moved unexpectedly into +ve numbers for Q1 with the knock-on effect of strengthening global markets. Even oil prices picked up.

The unfortunate truth (for some) is the Chinese are the savior of the economic world which is tough titty for all those touting isolation, fines, censure and nuking.
Any source to this statement . If China is the so called savior , lets just hope they get crucified !!!!! =;

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 8, 2020, 9:04 am

Arrrr Tammy .. you confirmed my faith in humanity .. i just knew my casting salacious "nuke em" post was harbouring some where in the dark recesses of your mind and once after brief respite you start climbing again was always gonna get a mention ..

BOT .. Lab or wet market ..can we at least agree CHINA was the source .. not France or Trump ,, although Statto is desperately trying to find a link between the latter and THE C19 source at all cost.
DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 8, 2020, 9:15 am

tamada wrote:

Not really,

China's roll is on the supply side, they export goods to the world, their consumption is typically raw materials. Their internal retail consumption is largely from domestic sources, the world might see some benefit with exports of food products, but not much else. If there is insufficient demand for their products in the rest of the world, we will see a strong supply capability but poor demand for their goods. Reports today that the UK economy will shrink by up to 30% this year, with similar horror stories from other large consumer nations (ie. The USA). China's exports will not grow rapidly.

Western nations will almost certainly review their strategies on sovereign risk and take back into their countries important goods like medical equipment and pharmaceuticals. These goods will be more costly but it will grow the manufacturing sector with jobs growth.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 8, 2020, 9:17 am

Here's one for the budding Edmund Hillary over at the airport t-junction.

With regard to the planned easing of restrictions on 17th May,
"....China and South Korea will also be the first countries to be removed from a list of the government's dangerous communicable disease zones. ..."

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1914360

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 8, 2020, 9:24 am

tamada wrote:
May 8, 2020, 9:17 am
Here's one for the budding Edmund Hillary over at the airport t-junction.

With regard to the planned easing of restrictions on 17th May,
"....China and South Korea will also be the first countries to be removed from a list of the government's dangerous communicable disease zones. ..."

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1914360
You must be my Sherpa Tenzing then Tam :lol: :lol:

Blooming heck .. China n SK , any connection to the TAT intimating their return as tourists as early as June .. were all doomed ..doomed .. forthwith to the roof farewell cruel world !!

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 8, 2020, 9:42 am

^ Don't do it DM! You'll get some bruises but you'll only bugger up the cement again.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 8, 2020, 9:48 am

tamada wrote:
May 8, 2020, 9:42 am
^ Don't do it DM! You'll get some bruises but you'll only bugger up the cement again.
A true friend thanks Tam u talked me down .. i had changed mi mind already tho as the mobile iced coffee and mango smoothie lady just pulled up.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » May 8, 2020, 11:28 am

Interesting to see that one statistic that has come to light is the fact that the BAME population of the UK are 4 times more likely to die from the virus.
Now is that because they are less able to fight the desease or is it that they outnumber the white population. Or has there been a massive influx of ethnic minorities flooding into the country seeking support from the NHS.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 8, 2020, 1:03 pm

Whistler wrote:
May 8, 2020, 9:15 am
tamada wrote:

Not really,

China's roll is on the supply side, they export goods to the world, their consumption is typically raw materials. Their internal retail consumption is largely from domestic sources, the world might see some benefit with exports of food products, but not much else. If there is insufficient demand for their products in the rest of the world, we will see a strong supply capability but poor demand for their goods. Reports today that the UK economy will shrink by up to 30% this year, with similar horror stories from other large consumer nations (ie. The USA). China's exports will not grow rapidly.

Western nations will almost certainly review their strategies on sovereign risk and take back into their countries important goods like medical equipment and pharmaceuticals. These goods will be more costly but it will grow the manufacturing sector with jobs growth.
No source from Tamada , so i guess heresay .
Yes i agree , if theres little demand , then they can produce as much as they like .
There is nothing or very little that China produces that was not stolen from others .
So because they have not had the research and development costs , and have an abundance of cheap labour , some of it forced , then its obvious they can knock out stuff cheaper .
The free world produced all this stuff once , so can do so again , and yes things might be a little more expensive , but will probably last longer .
Large companies will shy away from China in the future , wont have their technology stolen and copied , and can manufacture in the rest of the world without being blackmailed into sharing .
But , and it is a big but , will they for fear of a slight lose in profits and dividends .

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » May 8, 2020, 4:55 pm

I think we should hire a delegation from China to deal with our brexit negotiations.When the Chinese ask the EU to jump their response is "how high?"

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... rus-origin

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”