Don't pore your beer down the drain.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Don't pore your beer down the drain.

Post by Old Grumpy » April 14, 2020, 9:49 am

Apparently publicans in the UK are worried about not selling the cask beer they have in stock before it reaches it's sell by date owing to the shutdown, they have been asked not to pore it down the drains and one enterprising brewery has offered to take it back and convert it to pure alchohol to help the NHS.https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52199185.
I wonder if our local keg beer supplier can tell us what is going to happen to the draft beer he has supplied to numerous outlets around town as apparently according to the article they only have a shelf life of 4-6 weeks and that is soon upon us .

Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

mickojak
udonmap.com

Re: Don't pore your beer down the drain.

Post by mickojak » April 14, 2020, 9:56 am

A friend of mine had a can of beer rolling around the cabin of his truck for about 2 years.
All labels totally worn off, so had no idea what it was.

After a stinking hot day, he was desperate, opened it and drank it.
Says it was beautiful.
Ha, Ha

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 14, 2020, 10:08 am

You could end up poor, if you don't pore over the best by date, and then unnecessarily pour it down the sink. 8)

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 14, 2020, 10:17 am

Calling all the places we deliver draft kegs to and have our own fonts and chillers installed most if not all predicted closures and sold off all the part full tapped kegs and did not hook up another full one , we advised and cleaned and flushed the lines and leaving the system until things get moving again .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 14, 2020, 10:46 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 14, 2020, 10:17 am
Calling all the places we deliver draft kegs to and have our own fonts and chillers installed most if not all predicted closures and sold off all the part full tapped kegs and did not hook up another full one , we advised and cleaned and flushed the lines and leaving the system until things get moving again .

DM
I should also point out a couple of other points ..

The self life of a kegged beer in the correct dark cool storage is is most cases well over a year ..at the point the keg is tapped and gassed the clock starts to tick on the life span of the product .. UNLESS it is a European KEY KEG in which case this has a twin steel bag and the gas is forced in between the bags so does not touch the product but still acts as a compression to push the beer thru the lines...

Also

Most of the Draft systems installed here are different to the Uk and Europe due to the weather n humidity also cask ales are way more volatile to heat , gas infusion as most are Nitrogen /C02 compressed as they are cream flow ..these factors also shorten the life span... a chilled water line should always be ran in withe the beer lines so the products is chilled all the way to the Tap head.

Our policy has never to fit any of our equipment in venues that are semi out doors , non AC and dont meet the storage requirements.

Just as info
DM

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 14, 2020, 7:43 pm

Saw that the Governor may ease restrictions this Friday if Udon goes the next 3 days without any additional infections.. Perhaps things will get back to normal and your close to expiration date draft beer can be sold at a discount!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dave

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 14, 2020, 8:47 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
April 14, 2020, 7:43 pm
Saw that the Governor may ease restrictions this Friday if Udon goes the next 3 days without any additional infections.. Perhaps things will get back to normal and your close to expiration date draft beer can be sold at a discount!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Fingers crossed its positive news for Udon and the new case count doenst increase , business wise a lot depends on if we can get into and out of our Bkk store as C19 is still prolific in many other places . btw still 9 provinces without a single case registered.

Ref the booze ... If we get some reduced products via Bkk importers due to this crisis then we will offer them to our customers in the coming weeks but it would be down to the retailer / owner of the venue who we supply how they wish to promo price point them.

Our keg stock in Bkk is pretty new and the nearest BBD on any product is October 2020 .. in fact a container of Belgian stuff ( bottles and draft kegs ) arrived today and one excellent point with the Belgian beers are the extremely long EXP dates .. todays arrivals mid 2021 on kegs and 2022/23/24 on the bottles.

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 14, 2020, 10:16 pm

^ Must be all the preservatives... what's that one the one most commonly found in beer? Formaldehyde?

When I was in Brazil, I would get headaches without hangovers after drinking local Brahma beer. Then, while waiting for a way overdue paycheck, I had to start drinking Schincariol... the Archa of Brasil. Chock full of formaldehydes, you can get a headache just looking at a truck load of the stuff!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 15, 2020, 7:20 am

Thai beers used to contain certain additives to counteract the weather here and also prolong the shelf life but the days of formalehyde in beer are long gone they got better names and numbers than that now same as in food products!!.. Thai beer tend to leave the brewery with 6 months at best ,thats if the dates on the bottles represent the product inside accurately .. but they do ften get transported on open back truck n stoofd out doors exposed to the heat hence the need for additives even with a quick turn around on sales.

Belgian/German in fact most European brewing and Thai brewing are like chalk n cheese with regard to the method , ingredients , weather conditions and also the additives used ... for the piss heeds this is most noticable in the selection of beer styles available and the higher ABV% and the reason most Thai beers are Pilsner lager style they are more hardy than lets say a real ale or stout ...
.....plus next morning effects the hang over thick head , which imo you only get when mixing beverages (common mistake by drinkers) n not sticking to one style or brand for the course of the session.

Its Chang time .. start the day with a small can after taking the dogs out and checking the traffic.

DM

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 15, 2020, 9:35 am

So , can we assume from your very informative post on this subject , that , you will not be pouring any beer down the drain or giving it away anytime soon . :-k :-k
Gotta feeling Grumpy will be even more Grumpy . :-$

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 15, 2020, 9:56 am

my experiences with Beer Singh 46 years ago always left a foul formaldehyde after taste in my mouth and a crushing hangover if too many were consumed. Amarit was the only other local beer back then and despite advertising that it had won numerous European beer awards for excellence.. was in my opinion (and most others) not.. Thank the beer gods that those type of additives seem to be gone today!!! =D>
Dave

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 15, 2020, 10:36 am

saint wrote:
April 15, 2020, 9:35 am
So , can we assume from your very informative post on this subject , that , you will not be pouring any beer down the drain or giving it away anytime soon . :-k :-k
Gotta feeling Grumpy will be even more Grumpy . :-$
Yes you assume correctly ..sorry ..

Just posted as info and explains partially the reason why just about all Thai beers are Pilsner lager origin.
FrazeeDK wrote:
April 15, 2020, 9:56 am
my experiences with Beer Singh 46 years ago always left a foul formaldehyde after taste in my mouth and a crushing hangover if too many were consumed. Amarit was the only other local beer back then and despite advertising that it had won numerous European beer awards for excellence.. was in my opinion (and most others) not.. Thank the beer gods that those type of additives seem to be gone today!!! =D>
Yes Singha was the worst offender in the after taste n heavy hangover stakes .. it is indeed good news the additives have been some what reduced .. and/or renamed n numbered .. no wonder Singh used to give the worst hang overs n headaches it was proven to have contained formaldehyde many years back and banned in some countries .. i think was/is used to preserve the deceased, i aint no corona or coroner.

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 15, 2020, 10:45 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 15, 2020, 10:36 am
it was proven to have contained formaldehyde many years back and banned in some countries .. i think was/is used to preserve the deceased, i aint no corona or coroner.

DM
Yes, it was but it was also banned for this due to the effect it had on the people using it.

We used to use it as a preservative in Sainsbury own brand shampoo & the PPE worn to just measure it out was unbelievable
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 15, 2020, 11:48 am

i was led to believe that they also use to preserve those maliy thingys that they sell at the traffic lights .
The one that hang from rear view mirrors in your car to make it smell nice . Happy motoring ah !!!!
Yes Jon you are correct it is or was used as a preservative in dead folk . Maybe it still is , ill let you know if they use it on me , when the time comes that is .

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”