Solar Power

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
glalt
udonmap.com

Re: Solar Power

Post by glalt » December 29, 2019, 11:06 am

I was a little concerned that my golf cart battery bank had a problem. In the mornings I noticed that my battery bank was discharged a bit more than 50 percent. So, out comes my Fluke meter. I discovered that two of my 250 watt panels were putting out nothing. I was dreading climbing on the roof to find the problem. After climbing the ladder to take a look but not going on the roof, I couldn't see any obvious problem. I went back in the house and finally discovered that the connection to my charge controller had a bad connection. I stripped both the wires, twisted them together and put them back in. Thankfully everything is now back to normal. I have each two panels wired in series for higher voltage, so each two panels have one positive wire going into the charge controller. Other than that, both systems have been remarkably trouble free. We have had no rain for quite a while so all the panels are covered in heavy dust but with twice the recommended panels they still keep the battery banks fully charged even on cloudy days.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » February 27, 2020, 11:34 am

I am slowly going to move to solar on a number of items.
So I’m starting with the yard security lighting at the moment. Purchased 2 solar flood lights this week to trial their flood and spread capacity. 100 watt. Each light has the built in lithium battery, Also with brackets, the small solar panel and a controller. mounted very easily and just a simple plug in and your good to go. Use the 8 hour button for now.
Bought from Boontavoorn, they have a lighting promotion on at the moment.
Very happy with this light and will now procure more solar lights of different sizes for the rest of the yard now.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » February 27, 2020, 12:27 pm

Will have to look onto those yard lights
Like the idea of auto switch off after a few hours

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 27, 2020, 1:20 pm

Got 5 of these so far, very happy with them

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.0i3aG
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

marcsarge
udonmap.com

Post by marcsarge » February 27, 2020, 8:07 pm

You have to really watch buying these on Lazada. 2 weeks ago I purchased the same JD-8200 200w light. I had looked at different ones, unfortunately the one I got was just under 1000B thought is was a good deal 3 or 400B less than the the same elsewhere. When the light arrived I open the package and saw the back of solar panel and it was 12W to charge the 30000aMH battery. I now knew why so much less in price. Most ones I looked at were either 30W or 40W panels this place did not show the spec of panel on site. Using the formulas for how long it would take to charge the battery it would take about 17 hrs to charge and that's only to about 90% on the best day of your life. It would have never worked at night but 2 or 3 hours I'm sure. the 40w on a good day needed only 4 to 5 hrs and the 30w 7 to 8hrs. I just got the refund today but had to go above seller because he says " it works just not great". That's just what he said. I've added the links to the formulas below. You have to covert the mAH or AH to WH first then use the link to the Est time to charge battery's. Hope this helps anyone who's thinking about buying these. You need to know either mAH or AH and panel watts and volts to use.

https://milliamps-watts.appspot.com/
https://convert-formula.com/ah-wh
https://blog.voltaicsystems.com/estimat ... rom-solar/

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » February 28, 2020, 1:10 am

Barney wrote:
February 27, 2020, 11:34 am
So I’m starting with the yard security lighting at the moment. Purchased 2 solar flood lights this week to trial their flood and spread capacity. 100 watt. Each light has the built in lithium battery, Also with brackets, the small solar panel and a controller. mounted very easily and just a simple plug in and your good to go. Use the 8 hour button for now.
Very happy with this light and will now procure more solar lights of different sizes for the rest of the yard now.

ImageImageImageImage

Hi Barney

What is approx range of the remote control to turn them off/on. 10m or 20m or ??

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » February 28, 2020, 12:08 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
Barney wrote:
February 27, 2020, 11:34 am

ImageImageImageImage

Hi Barney

What is approx range of the remote control to turn them off/on. 10m or 20m or ??

pipoz4444
Well thanks for that, you made me get off my backside and go out in the heat for a check.
Nearly 10 mtrs for the controller distance. Need to be in front of the light fixture.
The 2 i have installed at the moment have been set up on Auto and the 8 hr timing. Don’t intend to turn these on and off. Purely night time security.
With this 100 watt light you a good flood at 10 mtrs naturally with fading as you extend further to 20.
I see others have shown the 200w and 300w size. Bit big for my yard. Maybe be they can comment on their particular lights.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 28, 2020, 12:26 pm

I've got 5 x 200w lighting up my garden (1 rai) and to be honest I could do with another 2 but all in all they are doing a good job and they're on all night, I'm just in the process of installing a solar pump in my fish pond, I'll post how it goes but I'm.quite hopeful.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » February 28, 2020, 4:49 pm

Hi Barney

During your visit to Boonthavorn, did you happen to see an solar garden lights, similar or otherwise to the one below. I spot this Flame effect type on AliExpress (Light is cheap on AliExpress but Shipping looks expensive)

I am looking for some garden lights that I can just stick in the ground to give some low level lighting effect around within the perimeter shrubs. Yes might have to trim the shrubs a bit so they capture enough light in the daytime to charge their batteries - A bit the same as me as I move on in Years \:D/ \:D/

Decorative-garden-flame-lamp-with-solar-outdoor.jpg_350x350.jpg
Decorative-garden-flame-lamp-with-solar-outdoor.jpg_350x350.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 3954 times

Question to Anyone: Has anyone bought things on Ali Express and had them shipped/posted to Thailand and if so had any problems with getting the goods cleared through Customs

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » February 28, 2020, 4:53 pm

Found one in Thailand called Solar Thailand =D> \:D/ \:D/

http://www.solar-thailand.com/EN/Product/Love-SPL-807/

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 4, 2020, 8:04 pm

vincemunday wrote:
February 28, 2020, 12:26 pm
I've got 5 x 200w lighting up my garden (1 rai) and to be honest I could do with another 2 but all in all they are doing a good job and they're on all night, I'm just in the process of installing a solar pump in my fish pond, I'll post how it goes but I'm.quite hopeful.
My wife came home from shopping today with a big grin on her face. She said that she had a new night light and won't have to pay for the electric. I unboxed the light and the solar panel. The light has absolutely no information on it and only says 200 watt on the face. The solar panel also has no information except the sticker on the back. The instruction sheet is only in Chinese. The sticker on the back of the solar panel says 6 volt and 30 watt.Obviously 30 watts is not going to be near enough to run a 200 watt light and keep the battery charged. I'll be very surprised if it works well enough to satisfy her. The question is how much power does the light actually take and where did they get the 200 watt figure?

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 4, 2020, 8:05 pm

vincemunday wrote:
February 28, 2020, 12:26 pm
My wife came home from shopping today with a big grin on her face. She said that she had a new night light and won't have to pay for the electric. I unboxed the light and the solar panel. The light has absolutely no information on it and only says 200 watt on the face. The solar panel also has no information except the sticker on the back. The instruction sheet is only in Chinese. The sticker on the back of the solar panel says 6 volt and 30 watt.Obviously 30 watts is not going to be near enough to run a 200 watt light and keep the battery charged. I'll be very surprised if it works well enough to satisfy her. The question is how much power does the light actually take and where did they get the 200 watt figure?

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » March 4, 2020, 9:34 pm

It might be the 200 watt is what the led puts out that is equivalent to incandescent bulb and the 30 watt is what used by the led, just a guess though.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 4, 2020, 9:45 pm

Plug it in and find out is the best way 555

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 5, 2020, 9:08 am

vincemunday wrote:
March 4, 2020, 9:45 pm
Plug it in and find out is the best way 555
That's the plan. Try it and see.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 9, 2020, 10:42 am

I was wrong thinking the 30 watt solar panel was not big enough. I base that on the fact that the light set on automatic does indeed stay on overnight during the dark and shuts off at first light.

I have now ordered from Lazada a 300 watt light with a 55 watt solar panel. (1,990 baht) That should take care of the night light coverage. Time will tell how long these systems will last.

fhorst
udonmap.com

Post by fhorst » March 10, 2020, 11:34 am

Good news and bad news..

I'll start with the bad news.
My 16 * 12v 200Ah lead-acid batteries are fried, dead, no longer to be used. they appear to be fully charged and after 4 hours.... voltages below 8 volt. Empty.
Farewell 126.000 THB... :cry: :cry: Welcome 1000kg old lead... :mrgreen:

That is what happen when the crappy EASUN MPPT inverter charged the batteries at 78 volts!!
(My 3 x new Revo II 3.2kw MPPT inverters work perfect!!)

Good news, you won't believe how cheap lifepo4 is these days!!
I was amazed. maybe positive effect from Corona, to high stock??

Lifepo4 (lithium) is safer then lead, do exploding gasses !!
Also, it does not have big issues with the Thai temperature. 40, 50 degrees, no real problem!
Besides that is is now even cheaper then lead-acid, lifetime is + 2000 cycles, compared to + 500 from lead acid.
And those are real cycles, discharge 95%, without problems!!

I've looked into Lithium when i bought the lead-acid last year februari, price was minimal 2.5 times higher.
now... $43 for 152Ah, and under $83 for 280Ah!!

I've bought 32 * 152AH (3.2v) for $ 1602
3.2v 152Ah LiFePo4 Battery for $ 43.00 (MOQ=1)
This price was including DDP transport. (all costs, including tax, paid!!)

they look really impressive, are well matched (same voltage 3.29v = 70%)
(pictures of the batteries, somehow I can't get photo's inside) (edit.. found it!)
https://ibb.co/gJCPK3q
https://ibb.co/QcxHCVw

Maybe ill add in the future one set (16 * for 48v system) of 280Ah (only $82.67, MOQ=4)

on an other forum (diysolarforum.com) I found the perfect guide on how to order Chinese batteries (thanks ghostwriter66)

The BMS I ordered (not yet arrived) give me full insight (Bluetooth app) what is happening with the batteries.
After the expensive malfunction of the EASUN, i like to stay on top to know what is happening.
It can do 100A charging, 300A discharge and balance the cells with 1A (if needed)
I bought from Aliexpress, $120.70

Building is really easy, it takes less then 30 minutes to setup, and light to handle!!
(my lead acid are 70 kh each.. one lifepo4 cell is 3 kg)

Will Prowse, a known youtube "guru" explains all about it in [urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyP_dgWz8pY&lis ... 583gq0OAyi] his video's (this is playlist for DIY lithium[/url]
Attachments
IMG_20200303_023501.jpg
IMG_20200302_162422.jpg
Last edited by fhorst on March 10, 2020, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it can't be done, it never happened..

fhorst
udonmap.com

Post by fhorst » March 10, 2020, 12:05 pm

If any of you guys need help building the lithium battery, your welcome to visit us!
(Google on Google maps "Butsabong Art")

As Farang I can't work in Thailand, and I won't.

If you already know you are going to need my help, contact me for details.

I don't (and can't) ask any fee, but if you buy 1 cell extra, 9 instead of 8 cells for 24 volt system and leave it as appreciation...
Your name for assistance will be on top of my agenda :-)
If it can't be done, it never happened..

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 10, 2020, 12:47 pm

I bought 3 200 watt solar lights off lazada
Since the sun has been out the last 2 days the lights hace worked dusk till dawn

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 11, 2020, 5:01 am

never had much luck with bought solar lights with wee solar panels..
I just buy all the parts, ( 40w panel, 20A Controller, 70AH battery ) and make my own night security lighting system .
I buy a Controller with a timer on it..so you can set what time the light comes on , or goes out.( saves the battery)...have one inside the house for when we are away..my workshop also has one timed to come on from one hour after dusk until 1am, though it could go all night...the locals think someone lives there..( I run standby emergency lights off the same system, and USB charging for the cell phone etc, as the village power goes down alot..

Return to “House & Land”