Nasty accident at DMK 7th Feb - Nok B738 v towing tug

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Nasty accident at DMK 7th Feb - Nok B738 v towing tug

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 8, 2020, 1:41 pm

The aircraft ran over the tug killing the driver whilst being towed to a Departure Gate.

Watched the video about 5 times, it's hard to speculate exactly what happened. I'll leave that to the professionals.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4d2fa9a3&opt=0

Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Nasty accident at DMK 7th Feb - Nok B738 v towing tug

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 8, 2020, 8:35 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
February 8, 2020, 1:41 pm
The aircraft ran over the tug killing the driver whilst being towed to a Departure Gate.

Watched the video about 5 times, it's hard to speculate exactly what happened. I'll leave that to the professionals.

While the exact cause is not possible to ascertain from the video a couple of points are clear.

The tug became detached from the plane, for some reason (possibly protocol, maybe panic ) the tug braked or its engine failed and was overrun by the plane lifting the plane a little . The time taken for the plane to come to a total stop from the tug detachment is about 10 seconds and just after a tyre blew suggesting that the pilots started braking as soon as the tug detached, they may not have used full emergency breaking as that would have caused injuries to the flight crew who would probably have been standing at the time.

They almost certainly would have no clear idea of the tug location even if the tug to plane communications link was still intact, and even if they did know probably would have difficulty stopping any faster.

Thai news is reporting that the tow bar broke.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » February 8, 2020, 9:14 pm

Just to add, there might have been no pilot on the plane as not unusual to tow without pilot or anyone in cockpit. Also one article I read said tow bar broke and looking at video and after images looks like plane stopped when hitting towvtruck.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 8, 2020, 9:28 pm

Stantheman wrote:
February 8, 2020, 9:14 pm
Just to add, there might have been no pilot on the plane as not unusual to tow without pilot or anyone in cockpit.
In the U.S., the FAA requires that a trained and qualified person be in the flight deck during towing operations to operate the aircraft's brakes if needed, and to monitor the hydraulic pressure of the braking systems. This person also has primary responsibility for communications with ATC.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » February 8, 2020, 9:37 pm

We used to be certified as ground crew brake operators on RAF aircraft (RAF pilots are notoriously lazy). The towing team would comprise one guy in charge, a brake man, a tractor driver and three or four wing tip or tail men to see it in.

I've seen aircraft run away when the shear pin on the towing arm has broken but never anyone killed - very unfortunate.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » February 8, 2020, 10:36 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
February 8, 2020, 1:41 pm

Obviously no professionals there.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 8, 2020, 10:50 pm

Stantheman wrote:
February 8, 2020, 9:14 pm
Just to add, there might have been no pilot on the plane as not unusual to tow without pilot or anyone in cockpit. Also one article I read said tow bar broke and looking at video and after images looks like plane stopped when hitting towvtruck.
The plane was already stopping when it overran the tug otherwise it would have taken more than 5 seconds from impact to a full stop. The tug would have had some effect I doubt that it was enough to stop the plane.

From the tug detachment to full stop is 11 seconds.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Return to “Travel & Transport”