Decisions, decidions, decisions, Coronavirus

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
parrot
udonmap.com

Decisions, decidions, decisions, Coronavirus

Post by parrot » February 6, 2020, 1:33 pm

Some time ago I booked seats on ANA from BKK to USA leaving Suvarnaphumi at 0030. I also booked Thaismile seats leaving Udon at 9PM, arriving Suvarnaphumi at 10. That leaves 2.5 hours to get our bags from Thaismile, head up to ANA and checkin (will precheck in online 24 hours prior). Under normal circumstances, 2.5 hours should be plenty, even allowing for some delay in arrival in BKK or delay in getting our bags.
I talked with the Thaiair rep at the airport yesterday........what did she think? Her initial reaction was, oh no, you need more time in BKK. But after talking it through with her.....precheck in with ANA, asking Thaismile to give us baggage priority before we leave Udon (??)......she said we should be ok.....but still with some reluctance.

I have some wiggle room on time to change Thaismile reservations. I'm not keen on spending hours in the airport.........and am monitoring the coronavirus situation to see if there's any impact on departures from BKK.

Any thoughts from the seasoned travelers?

noosard
udonmap.com

Re: Decisions, decidions, decisions, Coronavirus

Post by noosard » February 6, 2020, 1:43 pm

Travel
as for corona virus it will be wide spread in a months time
very hard to put the genie back in the bottle

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » February 6, 2020, 2:07 pm

Have travelled many many times and my flight to Australia tonight is 00.01.
Decided to fly this arvo on the Thai smile 4.30 instead of the 9 pm,
Any delay with THAISmile at 9 would have me under pressure.
Relying on the Thaismile leaving bkk on time to allow leaving UT at 9 is a risk I don’t want to take.
You have an additional 30 mins so maybe ok.
I’ll just sit in the lounge for an extended time, is ok for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » February 6, 2020, 6:36 pm

The time it takes to clear immigration in or out of BKK is always a hit or miss. I'm flying to Punta Cana in 2 weeks via the Atlanta airport from Houston, the flight back I had a choice between a two and a half hour layover and a four-hour layover, I chose the four hour. Never been to Atlanta so I wasn't sure if it was like LAX or IAH, LAX takes forever to clear, IAH not so much.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 6, 2020, 7:24 pm

I've done it both ways but my retired military mindset always is pushing me to take the earlier flight, "just in case..."
Dave

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » February 6, 2020, 7:35 pm

In this case it's better to be 2 hours early than 2 minutes late.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » February 6, 2020, 7:50 pm

In addition to how long it might take to process through immigration is, if taking, retrieving luggage from Smile and rechecking it with ANA. You will not be able to check it all the way from Udon.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » February 6, 2020, 9:16 pm

As for coronavirus, In Swampy now and 80% of people in the domestic section had masks at 5.30.
International departure section not sure as went through Thaiair fast track in business straight to the lounge.
But the baggage check in lady went through my passport and quizzed me about visas in my passport and if I had been in China in the last 24 hours to 14 days. Had to asks her twice what she was talking about muffled through her mask. All clear I haven’t passed through China for 3 months. Not sure what she would have done if I had been in China in the last 2 weeks?
Strange I am now have a heightened awareness of people coughing around me.
Oh yes Parrot there is one additional thing that can go wrong if under a time restraint, the Domestic Thai Smile baggage collection took an extra 30 plus minutes as they had a first bag/last bag for a Hat Yai flight on the same carousel to be collected prior to our UT retrieval. Frustrating. If you were wanting to rush to international checkin it would not matter how many priority tags they put on your luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 7, 2020, 1:57 pm

I find the stress from that kind of tight schedule not worth it. I was once on a Thai Smile flight that was 4 or 5 hours late leaving Udon and missed an international fight on Emirates. Fortunately Thai Air put me and some other farang up at a hotel in Bangkok and bunged us on flights the next day. I didn't need to pay anything. I was a bit worried until I realized Thai Air were covering it all. They were very helpful at Suvarnaphumbi too.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 7, 2020, 2:58 pm

I chickened out, ate our 9pm tickets and bought new ones for 1pm. We'll bunk and fuel up in a nearby hotel, get a foot massage, and head over to the airport for our ANA flight. Back in my younger OJ Simpson Hertz dayz, I'd probably not worry about it......but those days are long gone. Thanks for the feedback

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » February 8, 2020, 7:10 am

Please post what the security and Immigration processes are like. I'm hoping that with few Chinese package tours it should be easier and quicker.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » February 8, 2020, 7:13 am

karonsteve wrote:
February 8, 2020, 7:10 am
Please post what the security and Immigration processes are like. I'm hoping that with few Chinese package tours it should be easier and quicker.
I thought all Chinese package tours were being canceled.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » February 8, 2020, 11:22 am

karonsteve wrote:
February 8, 2020, 7:10 am
Yes, Parrot, seconded by me. Did check in and immigration turn into a bit of a buggers muddle at the airport? :-k
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Return to “Travel & Transport”