Watch repair

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
Airportwo
udonmap.com

Watch repair

Post by Airportwo » February 6, 2020, 3:46 pm

Is there a decent watch repair shop that is trustworthy, wifes Omega needs work, not the most expensive watch out there but not cheap either, don't want to leave it somewhere that I don't know.

joepai
udonmap.com

Re: Watch repair

Post by joepai » February 6, 2020, 3:49 pm

You are better off sending it to the Omega dealer in Bangkok to be sure it a good job - and the insides are not swapped !
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 6, 2020, 4:14 pm

Airportwo wrote:
February 6, 2020, 3:46 pm
Is there a decent watch repair shop that is trustworthy, wifes Omega needs work, not the most expensive watch out there but not cheap either, don't want to leave it somewhere that I don't know.
If you don't know them never leave your watch and give them time to look at it without your being present. I fell for that scam with the small repair shop in front of Topps in Central. The expensive watch that I had was less than one year old and it probably only needed a battery, but the repairman told me to leave it and go shop around the mall and come back. When I returned he showed me a part that he said he took out of the watch that needed to be replaced for 1500 baht. It's an easy scam to pull off, and I'll never know if that part actually came out of my watch or if it was even defective. The guy had me over a barrel and he knew it. Just looking at him I could tell he was a shifty guy, but I let my wife convince me to let him have at it. Never again!

Having said that I have since found a very reliable watchmaker directly across the street and a bit down from Starbucks in UD Town. He's a disabled guy in a wheelchair and I have left watches with him with good results. He also sells many brands. See the red arrow in the map I am attaching.

There is also a good and trustworthy watchmaker inside Udon Optical on Phosri Road about 50 meters before the traffic circle if you are headed West. A map is attached here for that as well. You can click on the maps to enlarge them.
Attachments
Udon Optical.PNG
Watchmaker.PNG
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » February 6, 2020, 5:27 pm

I fell for the "swap" the insides routine quite some years ago in Pattaya, cost me a lot to get original parts replaced when it broke down again not long after.
Been to Udon optical watch shop before with another watch, they just handed it me back and said they couldn't repair, will have a look see at the wheelchair chap.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 6, 2020, 5:34 pm

My Rolex needs servicing, the cost to have it serviced in Bangkok was horrendous, I shall be sending it back to the UK with my brother I think.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 6, 2020, 7:22 pm

ditto to Semper Fi Guy's recommendation. I got to that shop any time we have watch batteries needing replacement or maintenance issues. I also took a family heirloom pocket watch for him to check and lubricate.. It is over a hundred years old. He was exceptionally careful with it, and got it working properly again...
Dave

malc123
udonmap.com

Post by malc123 » February 6, 2020, 10:32 pm

[quote=joepai post_id=564189 time=1580978969 user_id=26204]
You are better off sending it to the Omega dealer in Bangkok to be sure it a good job - and the insides are not swapped !
[/quote]

When my wife's Rolex had problem took it to the chap in Central who repaired just fine, he sells second hand Rolexes.

malc123

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 7, 2020, 4:39 am

I can also recommend the wheelchair-bound guy in semperfiguy's post. I have taken my cheap and Mrs tam's more expensive watches to him for repair and he's done a good job and never more than 800 baht. His small booth is inside a larger watch and clock shop so you could easily miss him if you doing a drive-by attempt at locating him. Park up and walk, you need the exercise anyway.

Point of note on the 'shifty' guy opposite Tops charging more for a 'battery'. Most modern watches, and certainly a couple of my high-end Seiko's, don't have a battery any more. They have a 'capacitor' that is charged by whatever centrifugal mechanism is used similar to the automatic, self-winding watches of yore. I have had 'capacitors' changed in the UK as well as in Thailand and at 1500 baht, he's definitely taking the Mickey. I stopped to get a quote on a Seiko watch band and the 'genuine' but not identical ones he had were way, way overpriced. I also asked the wheelchair-bound repair guy for the same replacement band and, after checking with his Bangkok supplier, he simply and honestly said they were no longer available.

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » February 7, 2020, 4:04 pm

malc123 wrote:
February 6, 2020, 10:32 pm
joepai wrote:
February 6, 2020, 3:49 pm
When my wife's Rolex had problem took it to the chap in Central who repaired just fine, he sells second hand Rolexes.

malc123
Agree there is a Rolex dealer in Central but they were more expensive than Bangkok - am sure all they do is send it to Bangkok for servicing as I understand Bangkok is the only place they can test and issue the certificate

malc123
udonmap.com

Post by malc123 » February 8, 2020, 11:48 am

The shop that sells second-hand Rolexes is on the seconded floor has a small booth. Not the main Rolex on the first floor next to the door.

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » February 8, 2020, 1:51 pm

malc123 wrote:
February 8, 2020, 11:48 am
The shop that sells second-hand Rolexes is on the seconded floor has a small booth. Not the main Rolex on the first floor next to the door.
I have seen that booth, had a couple of nice watches, sure he will know his way around a watch if he is buying used, will try the wheelchair chap first then the booth if no joy there.
Thanks all.

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » February 10, 2020, 2:19 pm

Follow up:- Went to the wheelchair chap today, excellent service, I would have no problem recommending him based on today's experience.
Again, thanks for the leads.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » February 10, 2020, 2:39 pm

malc123 wrote:
February 8, 2020, 11:48 am
That man has a friend who used to work for Rolex and is therefore certified by them, who he sends all his repairs to, he has his own shop near the amulet market but it's easier to give them in at the centre and collect them there, he doesn't charge any more and you get a receipt and a guarantee. The problem with Rolex is they won't supply spare parts to anyone other than a person trained and certified in there own workshop, which rather limits others ability to repair them , no such problem with this guy though .He's not cheap but definitely much cheaper than an official dealer . Been using his service nearly 20 years, recommended without hesitation .
Other makes I recommend a youngish man on the 2nd floor in the centre, he used to have a counter inside Robinson's working for them , last year he decided to go it alone and has opened a small counter in the fashion area just outside the store . He is located down the alley of small fashion shops on the right as you leave Robinsons by the toilets .He knows his stuff and subject to parts availability repairs while you wait and gives you the old parts he replaces .He repairs most makes subject to being able to obtain spares, of which he keeps a good stock anyway, all of which are genuine parts but you will be surprised by how many parts are universal to many well known brands .He is not expensive and will give you an estimate first if you want, all repairs are guaranteed.'The comments on the crook shop outside Tops I fully concur, it might be worth noting the shop right on the traffic lights corner outside the centre is also his .
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » February 12, 2020, 7:06 pm

[quote=semperfiguy post_id=564190 time=1580980447 user_id=20643]

Having said that I have since found a very reliable watchmaker directly across the street and a bit down from Starbucks in UD Town. He's a disabled guy in a wheelchair and I have left watches with him with good results. He also sells many brands. See the red arrow in the map I am attaching.
[/quote]

My wife and I have had our watches serviced by this guy also. He does good work at very reasonable prices.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Centi
udonmap.com

Post by Centi » February 19, 2020, 6:04 pm

I can highly recommend Udon optical as an optician. Bought glasses AND a watch there three years ago.
Yesterday I went there because the axle on my watch was broken. Unfortunately a piece of the axle remained in the watch. The watchmaker at Udon Optical could not help me. I went to the watchmaker in the "Fashion Tunnel" in the Cental Plaza on the second floor. (see post from Old Grumpy from February 10) He drilled out the axle piece carefully and inserted a new axle. Price THB 150.- Some years ago he replaced the gasket on another watch. He is very well equipped and I can recommend him.

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » October 15, 2020, 4:20 pm

[/quote]

Found (eventually) the disabled watch repair chap opp UD Town.
Did a first class repair job and only 200 Baht! Can’t recommend him enough, thanks for the tip.
One point – the correct location is not where the map points to and the directions are wrong – stand in front of BK car park entrance and he is directly opposite

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 15, 2020, 4:31 pm

joepai wrote:
October 15, 2020, 4:20 pm
One point – the correct location is not where the map points to and the directions are wrong – stand in front of Burger individual car park entrance and he is directly opposite
ธงชัยนาฬิกา

Thongchai Clock

https://goo.gl/maps/YwnLTrynpXVpauVUA

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 15, 2020, 7:33 pm

been going to Thongchai clock for watch batteries and repair for years. Yesterday the wife took her watch down there as it wasn't working.. Thongchai had replaced the battery a bit over a year ago and given a 2 year guarantee. Battery replaced with a new two year battery, no charge...
Dave

Centi
udonmap.com

Post by Centi » March 13, 2021, 5:57 pm

Here is the facebook-link to the Watch repair man in Central Plaza

https://web.facebook.com/คลินิก-นาฬิกา- ... rdc=1&_rdr

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 13, 2021, 6:30 pm

The guy in the wheelchair opposite UD town
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”