Bank ID

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
samster
udonmap.com

Bank ID

Post by samster » February 2, 2020, 12:20 pm

Anyone know what a Bank ID is? Never been asked for this before in 20 years or so.

An airline is paying out a damaged bag claim to me and I have provided them with account number and SWIFT code but are adamant that I also need to provide "Bank ID which is a 7 digit number"

I went into Krungthai who were as mystified as me. They brought the Manager out, rang HO but no-one had a clue

Barney
udonmap.com

Re: Bank ID

Post by Barney » February 2, 2020, 2:28 pm

What country Samster.
I’ve only heard of BSB bank code.

A 6 digit number identifying the Bank, State and Branch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » February 2, 2020, 5:12 pm

samster wrote:
February 2, 2020, 12:20 pm
Anyone know what a Bank ID is? Never been asked for this before in 20 years or so.

An airline is paying out a damaged bag claim to me and I have provided them with account number and SWIFT code but are adamant that I also need to provide "Bank ID which is a 7 digit number"

I went into Krungthai who were as mystified as me. They brought the Manager out, rang HO but no-one had a clue
Maybe they want the Bank IBAN number

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 2, 2020, 8:29 pm

It's a transfer into my Thai bank account by Etihad. As far as I can see Thai banks dont have an IBAN number.

I personally think the airline are talking crap. They have been trying to screw me on this claim for 4 months now!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Bank ID

Post by Barney » February 2, 2020, 9:06 pm

samster wrote:It's a transfer into my Thai bank account by Etihad. As far as I can see Thai banks dont have an IBAN number.

I personally think the airline are talking crap. They have been trying to screw me on this claim for 4 months now!!
It may be the the IBAN number already mentioned if it is an Arab account the money is coming from.
While working in the UAE I always had problems with transfers to my singapore accounts. Took 4 weeks to get my large deposit from the hotel accommodation of 2 years and after I left the country. They insisted on an IBAN
Have you asked your Thai bank if they can provide the IBAN.
It may solve your problem, can’t hurt to ask.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » February 2, 2020, 9:57 pm

Can you not pay into your UK bank then transfer?

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 2, 2020, 10:07 pm

Could do Gary but it would only end up out here anyway and I would lose a few THB on exchange ..... I am a tight Yorkshireman!! It's more the principal really.

When googling Thai bank IBAN numbers, it just says Thai banks dont have them. Is this misinformation?

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » February 2, 2020, 10:15 pm

samster wrote:Could do Gary but it would only end up out here anyway and I would lose a few THB on exchange ..... I am a tight Yorkshireman!! It's more the principal really.

When googling Thai bank IBAN numbers, it just says Thai banks dont have them. Is this misinformation?
Hence my problem with the IBAN and getting my money out of the Arab world.
I eventually sent it to Australia instead of Singapore. Can’t remember why that was finally possible. I was dealing with a large hotel accounts dept and not a bank.
Good luck. You may have to do the thinking for them.?

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » February 3, 2020, 4:22 pm

Barney wrote:
February 2, 2020, 10:15 pm
samster wrote:Could do Gary but it would only end up out here anyway and I would lose a few THB on exchange ..... I am a tight Yorkshireman!! It's more the principal really.

Hence my problem with the IBAN and getting my money out of the Arab world.
I eventually sent it to Australia instead of Singapore. Can’t remember why that was finally possible. I was dealing with a large hotel accounts dept and not a bank.
Good luck. You may have to do the thinking for them.?

Hi Barney

I regularly send from here to Thailand and another Asian country from a Bank (via the cyber transfer network). I only have to input the SWIFT Number once, into my Bank details, whenever I need to set up a Receiving Account to transfer to.

After that, each time I log in and press Transfer History, all the information of the most common International Transfers is comes up, including the SWIFT Number. Then just change the Amount and send (normally sent in USD). Takes 30 sec.

The Bank at this end and its system doesn't ever ask me for IBAN Number for either of the two Country Accounts, apparently because it already has the SWIFT Number on record. Maybe it’s just my sending Bank here, but for me it’s easy. Typically the money is credited into the Receiving Account at the other end within 24-48 hours, depending on which day of the week I opt to transfer. Mondays to Wednesdays are better. Thursday it can get stuck and then not appear at the other end until Monday afternoon the following week.

The Banking system has improved dramatically over her I the last few years. It is still very personal unlike that back in Australia. Go to the Bank here and sit in a nice plush environment, the Tea boy will come around and offer you tea or coffee, then sit at a desk with a personal bank officer who will address your issue or concern. =D> =D>

If you ask the Officer for a Withdrawal of funds, he will arrange it for you – He will fill out the form, hands it to a helper who then takes it over to the to the Teller, whilst you just continue drinking your coffee or tea. When ready, the Teller signals and you just walk over collect your money from him (no queue) say thank you and just walk out. No standing in line behind anyone at the Teller. It’s actually still a personalize banking system (for some), something which has lost in other countries throughout the work. =D> \:D/ \:D/

The Bank even has a select Phone Number (for some), one that you can call 24 hours a day, Toll Free from anywhere in the World and guess what they actually Answer within 5 minutes. None of this put you on Music or Hold indefinitely and then cut you off, saying "busy try again".

No, the Bank Person actually picks up the phone and says “How can I help your Sir”. After calling them from Thailand about an issue, I have actually had the Bank Person call me back (overseas) not once but twice in that day to explain what had happened the first time and them the second time to check that I was happy with the resolution. =D> =D> \:D/ Excellent and you won’t see that in the West.

I would exclude one Bank from this, namely the HSBC, often referred to by many, as the "Bank of Idiots" :-k :-k

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on February 4, 2020, 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 3, 2020, 9:02 pm

I would exclude one Bank from this, namely the HSBC, often referred to by many, as the "Bank of Idiots"

pipoz4444

Agree 100%, around 2010 I was trying to transfer money from my HSBC account in Dubai to my Thai Bank Account via internet as I was based in Thailand at that time. Tried for a couple of months and If my memory is not totally shot it was the same problem with the IBAN number. Ended up having to fly to Dubai to close the account and take my money in cash (about 70K USD) and bring back to LOS. As an aside I was in the Central Kasikorn bank today and the Customer Service guy who spoke very good English confirmed that Thai Banks only use the SWIFT Code system and not the IBAN system, he had no idea why "just the way it is" he said.

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”