Quintessentially Isaan (Photos)

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: Quintessentially Isaan (Photos)

Post by Stantheman » November 11, 2019, 8:26 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 10, 2019, 6:57 pm
Quite a few markets around me ...from.frogs to flip flops rats to remote control.cars .. today to big sellers seemed winter jackets as dropped to 17 here last night ..bloomin lovely twas too sat on mi porch n my boxera with a horlicks .
This thread is about Isaan photos, but thank god none posted of you in your Lilac's!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 11, 2019, 9:01 pm

Stantheman wrote:
November 11, 2019, 8:26 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 10, 2019, 6:57 pm
Quite a few markets around me ...from.frogs to flip flops rats to remote control.cars .. today to big sellers seemed winter jackets as dropped to 17 here last night ..bloomin lovely twas too sat on mi porch n my boxera with a horlicks .
This thread is about Isaan photos, but thank god none posted of you in your Lilac's!!
Yes thought best not to.inflict that on um members .. i do take a few pics when out n about but i have a problem.resizing them.as i post via my phone n not very tek savvy im.afriad ..but i can lift heavy things which makes up.for it.

Dm

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 18, 2019, 5:33 pm

There are things you can do in Thailand.....certainly in Isaan, that you can't do in our home country. I more or less followed this guy from about 10km outside of the city to the area near the airport. Ingenuity gives the guy a means to get out and not be housebound. He even has a ramp on the back.
Attachments
wheelchair.JPG

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 18, 2019, 5:58 pm

a wheelchair bound fellow is parked in the handicapped parking slot at Big C daily with a similar back-ramped three wheeled motorcycle.. Necessity is the mother of invention...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 31, 2019, 4:09 pm

Today we went to the jungle market, just before you cross the mountain into Nongbualamphu. The market was jam packed with vacationers, probably Isaaners returning home for the holidays and in search of a jungle critter, bamboo, or some cow placenta to share with family members.
One end of the market was decorated with a number of these balloons. As I've never seen them anywhere else in country, I'll chalk it up to another quintessentially Isaan moment.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » December 31, 2019, 7:02 pm

Meanwhile, in Korat, they have a solution to the problem:
Drunk drive slowly.
Attachments
Drive Slowly.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 14, 2020, 2:54 pm

I remember the Hoover door-to-door salesmen of the 1950's, maybe even the 1960's. But before there were vacuum cleaners, certainly the US had its own version of the mobile broom/brush salesman.
Thais are particular about their brooms......the western style brooms aren't popular here......and roombas are way too expensive for most families here. Last time we were in the US (2 years ago), roomba-style vacs were flying off the shelves. Our daughter bought her first for about $300 for her house, then a year or so later bought one off of craig's list for $125. It was the same model as the $300 one. Worked like it was new. One for upstairs, one for down.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » January 14, 2020, 7:53 pm

parrot wrote:
January 14, 2020, 2:54 pm
I remember the Hoover door-to-door salesmen of the 1950's, maybe even the 1960's. But before there were vacuum cleaners, certainly the US had its own version of the mobile broom/brush salesman.
Thais are particular about their brooms......the western style brooms aren't popular here......and roombas are way too expensive for most families here. Last time we were in the US (2 years ago), roomba-style vacs were flying off the shelves. Our daughter bought her first for about $300 for her house, then a year or so later bought one off of craig's list for $125. It was the same model as the $300 one. Worked like it was new. One for upstairs, one for down.
In U.S. nearest thing to a "Broom" seller was the Fuller Brush Man, that was in late 50's.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 14, 2020, 8:00 pm

parrot wrote:
January 14, 2020, 2:54 pm
DM tries to support the local broom seller .. khon kai mak what (Parrot can correct).. 30 to 50 bt per hand made pc is ok by me n i try to make em last at least a month :shock: :shock:

DM

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 15, 2020, 4:13 pm

a squad of these samlor pedaling broom peddlers regularly comes to camp in the Wat behind our house. A large truck brings them in. They ride out early in the morning with their load of brooms et al and return in the early evening. Occasionally the Abbot of the temple asks them to leave since their evening Lao Khao imbibing tends to lead to arguments and fights. Then a month or two later they're back. Don't know where the wholesaler who mass produces all these brooms gets these guys but they all seem a little rough around the edges...
Dave

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » January 15, 2020, 4:49 pm

Been looking for one in my area Ban Lueam for sometime now.
Quick sale need a few (2) short (1) long

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Udon+Th ... d9.5120168

Return to “Society and culture”