Dead Man's Curve

Udon Thani news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

Dead Man's Curve

Post by parrot » November 30, 2019, 6:42 pm

The 75degree turn just before the PTT station near the airport (as you're heading toward the airport with the PTT station on your right) was freshly painted today with white stripes on the road and the wall facing the curve painted with yellow and black stripes. I figured something was up......a few years ago that curve claimed the life of a foreigner riding his motorcycle late at night straight into the then white wall. A year or so later, a young woman drove her compact car into the wall and died, again late at night. Last night, a 20 year old girl died at the same wall. I'm not sure if she was the driver. Of note, there's a large gold spirit house that is next to the impact wall. I'd guess that if you were driving late at night, especially with one or two under your belt or driving at higher speed, that white wall drew you right into it.
Now it's yellow and black.
There's some bad juju at that corner!
https://www.facebook.com/191NewsUdon/?_ ... ghAiQLj12w

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by stattointhailand » November 30, 2019, 9:45 pm

Ermm wasn't the safety saying "wear something WHITE at night" not "wear something black and yellow striped" :-k

and puting paint on the road is ok, as long as it is cleaned on a regular basis and oil/grease is not allowed to build up on it and cause a skidpan situation =;

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 1, 2019, 6:19 am

One would have thought when they built the PTT Station that the Local Government would have used the planning to enhance that corner, made it wider and generally tarted up the safety aspects .
But of course after comp-letion one could see that as usual it will take a few more deaths and serious accidents for anything to be done , but NOW it will cost far more as any work will disrupt the Garages entrances and exits.

When I first came here, I thought it was a stupid situation and sadly it has not improved over the last 16 years.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » December 1, 2019, 6:23 am

Does anyone have a picture of this? It would be interesting to see what the yellow and black look like at night with headlights shining on it.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 1, 2019, 7:13 am

The reason the PTT was built there was purely down to the landowners being contected to the right people n illegely a huge sum.changed hands .. really bad location for a ptt for many reasons ..and as mr parrot says this curve has killedcmany in the past and will in the future despite any fancy paint job barriers etc

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 1, 2019, 9:55 am

I over estimated that degree of that curve. It's probably only 35 or so degrees to the left as you're heading to the airport from town. The 90 turn is at the ptt station. As much as I don't like that turn at the ptt station, I can't recall the last time I saw an accident there.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » December 1, 2019, 11:34 am

Parrot I’m interested in the story I just have no idea where you’re talking about. :confused:

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » December 1, 2019, 12:35 pm

as a biker of some 50yrs, I wondered how the foreigner dude met his fate. I noticed the other day fanging along there on me old Phantom, that the road, or road surface has been build in two parts..concrete..and over the years a lip has formed in the middle of the carriageway , as I hit that with me bike, the lip took over the steering, like getting stuck in railway lines..I could see it be a factor in wet condition. it may be a case of just driving straight into the wall, but most people know the place and the road..anyway, just my observation..

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 1, 2019, 1:36 pm

I took this photo today. The street now has white bumpy lines (too near the curve imo) and the point of impact wall now painted yellow and black. Two girls were cleaning the area of bloodstains today.
My wife (220v) says the spirit house is the source of the bad juju. Me (110v) says the white wall combined with speed or alcohol or both at night was more likely the cause.
I'm quite surprised at how quick the wall and street was painted......less than 48hrs after the girl died......the third death there that I'm aware of..... probably more
Attachments
Screenshot_20191201-132657_Gallery.jpg

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » December 1, 2019, 3:28 pm

parrot wrote:
December 1, 2019, 1:36 pm
I took this photo today. The street now has white bumpy lines (too near the curve imo) and the point of impact wall now painted yellow and black. Two girls were cleaning the area of bloodstains today.
My wife (220v) says the spirit house is the source of the bad juju. Me (110v) says the white wall combined with speed or alcohol or both at night was more likely the cause.
I'm quite surprised at how quick the wall and street was painted......less than 48hrs after the girl died......the third death there that I'm aware of..... probably more
Cheers parrot I now know the location ,I never knew it had such history attached to it.

laksnrub
udonmap.com

Post by laksnrub » December 1, 2019, 4:00 pm

What's the GPS location of this curve thanks
Quality is best done first

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 1, 2019, 4:44 pm

laksnrub wrote:
December 1, 2019, 4:00 pm
What's the GPS location of this curve thanks
17 23 37.99N 102 46 15.10E

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » December 1, 2019, 6:41 pm

Now I know where you mean.
IMHO the only solution would be to install anti speed bumps.

Drivers whether Thai or Falang do not take notice of warnings of signs for dangerous driving conditions or Hazards.
They do not abide by speed restriction signs.

The Speed bumps (Sleeping Policeman as they are called in UK) do not have to be huge.
Just enough to awaken someone to slow down.

I worked in Dubai where they are used even on main Highways where Camels could wander onto the road out of the Desert.

Outside my house the woman next door has had 3 dogs killed by cars travelling at high speeds.

Two years ago the road was full of Potholes and it was the resurfaced to a very good condition using cement & Tarmac.
I now have motorbikes doing 100 KM & more flying past my house Including cars doing the same.

It is the main road to the Villages further down & only a narrow road.

When we had potholes in the road never had an accident or dog killed.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 2, 2019, 7:18 am

maaka wrote:
December 1, 2019, 12:35 pm
as a biker of some 50yrs, I wondered how the foreigner dude met his fate. I noticed the other day fanging along there on me old Phantom, that the road, or road surface has been build in two parts..concrete..and over the years a lip has formed in the middle of the carriageway , as I hit that with me bike, the lip took over the steering, like getting stuck in railway lines..I could see it be a factor in wet condition. it may be a case of just driving straight into the wall, but most people know the place and the road..anyway, just my observation..
That white paint can be as slippery as in wet conditions also.
Loose the front end real quick.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 2, 2019, 2:34 pm

drove into town this morning via this route and the corner in question had a delegation of uniformed officials roadside pointing and chatting be interesting to see if any changes are made n if so what.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 2, 2019, 3:24 pm

Organising who will get what medal for the paint job

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 2, 2019, 4:20 pm

According to today's news, 5 deaths at that curve in 4 years. The latest accident happened at 2:48AM.
https://udontoday.co/021262-2/

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » December 3, 2019, 6:22 am

you would think with those numbers they would tear the wall down..not sure what purpose that part of the wall has. is it a protection barrier for some house on the otherside, or just a wall

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » December 3, 2019, 10:53 am

I like the name Dead mans curve , has a ring to it .
Now every time i use that road i will think dead mans curve coming up , instead of it just being a non discript bend .
Yes , you can put bumps on the road , you can resurface the road , you can put up umpteen warning signs , you can paint the road and wall with different colours .
What you cannot do , is fix stupid .

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » December 3, 2019, 11:25 am

i have absolutely no idea how to miss that curve.
avoid drugs and alcohol and drive slowly (normal) then you'll miss that wall for sure.
use your brain if you have one.
79499324_2524354327642539_516271076322312192_n.jpg

Return to “Udon Thani News”