Cambodia or Thailand

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Zidane
udonmap.com

Re: Cambodia or Thailand

Post by Zidane » November 26, 2019, 10:11 am

Vietnam... an American citizen can currently get a 1 year Business Visa... available to American citizens only and has to be done through an agent... no business required... get this visa when your Tourist Visa expires.
Cambodia... You can get a 6 month or 1 year multi entry visa when your Tourist Visa expires.
No financial requirements.
Yeah, Phnom Penh the traffic is bad and it's a busy bustling place but it has everything you need including food, nightlife and medical facilities.
If it's not for you try Siam Reap or maybe Battambang which is Cambodia's second largest city but a lot quieter. It's getting popular with tourists now and has good hotel's and restaurants... downside is it's 300km from Phnom Penh.
Oh, don't go to Sihanoukville under any circumstances.Its a Chinese run cesspit Now.

If I were you I,d spend a year travelling around Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand and find out which one floats your boat best.

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 26, 2019, 10:17 am

Zidane wrote:
November 26, 2019, 10:11 am
Vietnam... an American citizen can currently get a 1 year Business Visa... available to American citizens only and has to be done through an agent... no business required... get this visa when your Tourist Visa expires.
Cambodia... You can get a 6 month or 1 year multi entry visa when your Tourist Visa expires.
No financial requirements.
Yeah, Phnom Penh the traffic is bad and it's a busy bustling place but it has everything you need including food, nightlife and medical facilities.
If it's not for you try Siam Reap or maybe Battambang which is Cambodia's second largest city but a lot quieter. It's getting popular with tourists now and has good hotel's and restaurants... downside is it's 300km from Phnom Penh.
Oh, don't go to Sihanoukville under any circumstances.Its a Chinese run cesspit Now.

If I were you I,d spend a year travelling around Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand and find out which one floats your boat best.
Very good information, thanks. I was looking at Vietnam, but there was no Visa available. But apparently there is a way around it. Thank you.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 26, 2019, 10:20 am

But yes, I have read a lot about Cambodia and the simplicity of the visa requirements. Phnom Penh would be my only choice to stay because of the embassy situation and how easily it is to get around. Because from what I understand that Cambodia does not have mail service. Anyone know if that's true or not?

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 26, 2019, 11:22 am

There is a Cambodia Post service but I don't think it's very good.
EMS is the way to go.... there's a big Post Office in Phnom Penh near Sisowath Quay which is a bit of an iconic old building.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » November 26, 2019, 4:13 pm

Hi everyone, many of you may be aware that I live in Phnom Penh and have done so for more than a year. I made the decision to live in Cambodia and visit Thailand when possible instead of living in Thailand and visiting Cambodia which I have done since 2003.
During my 14 years in Thailand I attempted and failed many time to acquire a post office box. My understanding is that postal deliveries in Cambodia are not so common so I have a POB which took 15 minutes to obtain and costs $16 per year. I have my blog/website at www.fuzzykensblog.com which I suggest you check out. Lots of information and images with a regularly updated blog.
The site is primarily for Phnom Penh but we have a page devoted to information for those wishing to visit Thailand.
I would be more than happy to offer my advice to anyone considering coming here to live.
My best wishes to all and please know that our restaurant/bookshop in Udon remains open under the guidance of my partner Lek, in the small soi to the left side of the Paradise Hotel.
Sincerely, Fuzzyken

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » November 26, 2019, 5:55 pm

The link given does not seem to work. Thanks.

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » November 26, 2019, 6:13 pm

the-monk wrote:
November 26, 2019, 5:55 pm
Not sure why this link is not working, let me try again but if it still does not connect please see our add in the side-bar. Click on that and it does take you to our site.
https://www.fuzzykensblog.com

Thanks, and let's see what happens
Fuzzyken

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 26, 2019, 6:21 pm

Fuzzyken wrote:
November 26, 2019, 4:13 pm
Hi everyone, many of you may be aware that I live in Phnom Penh and have done so for more than a year. I made the decision to live in Cambodia and visit Thailand when possible instead of living in Thailand and visiting Cambodia which I have done since 2003.
During my 14 years in Thailand I attempted and failed many time to acquire a post office box. My understanding is that postal deliveries in Cambodia are not so common so I have a POB which took 15 minutes to obtain and costs $16 per year. I have my blog/website at www.fuzzykensblog.com which I suggest you check out. Lots of information and images with a regularly updated blog.
The site is primarily for Phnom Penh but we have a page devoted to information for those wishing to visit Thailand.
I would be more than happy to offer my advice to anyone considering coming here to live.
My best wishes to all and please know that our restaurant/bookshop in Udon remains open under the guidance of my partner Lek, in the small soi to the left side of the Paradise Hotel.
Sincerely, Fuzzyken
So Ken you bailed from Thailand, what are you doing now young man. You have a shop /café/ resteraunt in PP?? For me way too busy but everyone to their own.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 26, 2019, 11:57 pm

Fuzzyken wrote:
November 26, 2019, 6:13 pm
the-monk wrote:
November 26, 2019, 5:55 pm
Not sure why this link is not working, let me try again but if it still does not connect please see our add in the side-bar. Click on that and it does take you to our site.
https://www.fuzzykensblog.com

Thanks, and let's see what happens
Fuzzyken
Hi Fuzzy,
This latter link works.

I didn't know you had moved to Phnom Penh. Hope all is going well for you. I moved back to the UK 5 years ago and have been looking for somewhere else to visit instead of LOS, mainly due to the poor exchange rate making LOS more expensive. I will keep an eye on your website. Good luck.

Regards

Richard

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 27, 2019, 1:37 am

Fuzzyken wrote:
November 26, 2019, 4:13 pm
Sincerely, Fuzzyken
Very good. It looks like I found the man I've been looking for. When I get a more time I'll hit you up in order to pick your brain.

souness
udonmap.com
Location: helping in the search for irish allan.(kirkby,liverpool,uk)

Post by souness » November 27, 2019, 9:28 am

i think you made the right move leaving thailand for cambodia ken.many farangs have now left and many stay onlybecause they have no chance of selling there home or have family here.
immigration now make it very difficult for us to stay in thaland.you would be stupid to buy a property here now.in 10 to15 years there will be no white men here.it will all be chinese.the thais now dont want white farang.you will lose everything.
cambodia,phillipines,vietnam,malaya,even laos now better option for new farangs sad tosay
hope to catch up with you for a beer in pnompenh one day ken.
sean

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 27, 2019, 9:38 am

souness wrote:
November 27, 2019, 9:28 am
i think you made the right move leaving thailand for cambodia ken.many farangs have now left and many stay onlybecause they have no chance of selling there home or have family here.
immigration now make it very difficult for us to stay in thaland.you would be stupid to buy a property here now.in 10 to15 years there will be no white men here.it will all be chinese.the thais now dont want white farang.you will lose everything.
cambodia,phillipines,vietnam,malaya,even laos now better option for new farangs sad tosay
sean
It's on, hopefully I can make that happen. The one thing I did not want to commit to right away was putting a 800k in the bank, which I understand is easier to put in than to take out, and the required health insurance, and the mandatory reporting, and what else they make came out with within the next two years. And although money really won't be an issue, do I really want to live on 28 to 30 baht per dollar? I'm not saying it won't happen someday, but it's not something I wanted to rush into right away right after retirement. And now, I am just checking all my options. Besides, from what I understand, Cambodia today is Thailand 25 years ago, and maybe that's not a bad thing?

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 27, 2019, 9:40 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
November 27, 2019, 9:38 am
souness wrote:
November 27, 2019, 9:28 am
sean
It's on, hopefully I can make that happen. The one thing I did not want to commit to right away was putting a 800k in the bank, which I understand is easier to put in than to take out, and the required health insurance, and the mandatory reporting, and what else they make came out with within the next two years. And although money really won't be an issue, do I really want to live on 28 to 30 baht per dollar? I'm not saying it won't happen someday, but it's not something I wanted to rush into right away right after retirement. And now, I am just checking all my options. Besides, from what I understand, Cambodia today is Thailand 25 years ago, and maybe that's not a bad thing?
LOL. You were speaking to fuzzyken, not me. My apologies.

souness
udonmap.com
Location: helping in the search for irish allan.(kirkby,liverpool,uk)

Post by souness » November 27, 2019, 12:22 pm

thats ok ken.ive lived here nearly 12 years but sadly i think my time here is coming to an end due to immigration turning the screw on farangs.
i get over 40k per month but havent got 400k in the bank and immigration will only acept the lump sum not monthly.
easier for me to take the wife somewhere like cambodia to live.i dont think some of the guys here realize they will lose everything eventuelly.even the rich ones.maybe they just acept it.
thailand ok to visit now but not live.white farangs are been squeezd out now which is probebly what they want.
sean

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 27, 2019, 12:27 pm

souness wrote:
November 27, 2019, 12:22 pm
thats ok ken.ive lived here nearly 12 years but sadly i think my time here is coming to an end due to immigration turning the screw on farangs.
i get over 40k per month but havent got 400k in the bank and immigration will only acept the lump sum not monthly.
easier for me to take the wife somewhere like cambodia to live.i dont think some of the guys here realize they will lose everything eventuelly.even the rich ones.maybe they just acept it.
thailand ok to visit now but not live.white farangs are been squeezd out now which is probebly what they want.
sean
Well I'm sorry to hear that. It is something I will take into consideration in my future endeavors

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 27, 2019, 12:44 pm

The best to you Sean. I hope you have safe travels to Cambodia and everything works out for you. Hopefully Cambodia will be what Thailand used to be I hope it stays that way at least until I get there.

udonfox
udonmap.com

Post by udonfox » November 27, 2019, 5:28 pm

Having worked in Phnom Penh for the last 3 years,I can answer a few questions.The cost of living is a lot lower than Thailand,visa situation is a lot easier and the postal service is no different than the airmail service from the Thai postal service,although there is a greater chance of a Cambodian postal worker pilfering your mail,so I've been told.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 27, 2019, 7:30 pm

udonfox wrote:
November 27, 2019, 5:28 pm
Having worked in Phnom Penh for the last 3 years,I can answer a few questions.The cost of living is a lot lower than Thailand,visa situation is a lot easier and the postal service is no different than the airmail service from the Thai postal service,although there is a greater chance of a Cambodian postal worker pilfering your mail,so I've been told.
I appreciate that. First question right off the bat, it seems the easiest way this send money from the US is through Western Union. Set up correctly I can send 3,000 US dollars and it only cost $16. Is it safe to pick up that kind of money on a monthly basis and is the money in good condition, or are there better alternatives? I do not want to use the Cambodian Riel currency.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 27, 2019, 7:33 pm

I would be sending this money to myself from my bank account in the states.

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » November 27, 2019, 11:38 pm

Hi and to answer a few questions about Cambodia.
I have no intention at this time to open any business but I'll wait and see what happens.

As for Thailand: I have had enough of poor exchange rates, TM30's, money in the bank, 90 day reports, visas, dual pricing, erratic postal deliveries and now having to wear long trousers/pants plus the cost of living, enough really is enough.

I find that living in Phnom Penh suits me. I like city life and have no problems here and have adjusted to the US dollar and Riel being used side by side. Actually, there is no choice and you soon get used to it.

I have a bank account here with a Mastercard debit card so no problem bringing money in and accessing it. Plenty of ATM's around the city and I find the wifi here OK too.

I have an apartment and do my own laundry, shopping and cooking etc which keeps my costs down. I travel around the city using the public buses and tuk tuks. I do not drive here. I think it is a little cheaper here than Udon but a lot depends on where in the city you live and whether you only eat western food etc.

One of you mentioned pollution, Checking AQI today gave a much lower reading here compared with Udon Thani. I realize that many factors affect air quality but it never seems much different to Udon.

Our website at https://www.fuzzykensblog.com has a variety of information and is constantly updated.

I would be more than happy to advise on specific matters, just ask.
Ken

Return to “Open Forum”