Is the British monarchy fit for purpose?

World news discussion forum
GT93
udonmap.com

Is the British monarchy fit for purpose?

Post by GT93 » November 22, 2019, 7:11 am

I read that a woman called Sue, surname as yet unknown, submitted a question to ITV’s leaders’ debate on Monday, asking: “Is the monarchy fit for purpose?” and the question was put to Corbyn and Johnson.

I was very pleased to read that this question was asked. The Commonwealth countries need to be looking at this too. The Queen is really too old to be the Head of State for multiple countries. It looks like Prince Charles is making more of the big calls such as to sack Prince Andrew.

Is Prince Charles fit for the role? Isn't it too big a role for one person? I hope Prince Andrew has kicked the Commonwealth countries further down the road towards republicanism.

Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Is the British monarchy fit for purpose?

Post by tamada » November 22, 2019, 2:22 pm

Oh do give over. You've gotten your new country name and a fancy flag so be thankful for what preceded and fundamentally enabled your great freedoms. May God bless you and all who sail in you! Now excuse us, we're off to dance with some delightful little pickaninnies.

Anyway, moot point as Randy Andy is history now.

The toxic prince: Andrew handed royal P45 after tipping point reached

"When member of the public questioned value of the monarchy on ITV leaders’ debate, Buckingham Palace had to act"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... nt-reached

Long live K i n g Charles

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 22, 2019, 3:53 pm

I love the way people ask the question, , certainly the Queen bless her is not going to live forever, bvut the other options are too scary by farf. All those democracies including the UK having to go every m4 years through another election to place a person as the Head of State, politicising that position, when you look at the current Three Big Countries,two of them have someone who appears to fight for their country, one has a complete Moron.
Personally have a Royal Family brings benefits many cannot see or want , we only have to vote in our parliament and we do not do a good job at that.
So I am Royalist 100% and most of those countries for whom HM is currently the Head like it that way as well.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 22, 2019, 5:17 pm

KP Most Countries DONT like The Monarchy as the Head of State
It aint lookn good for Liz and the following.
It will be worse once Chuck takes over.
Canada
In June 2010, a national poll by the Association for Canadian Studies found decidedly lukewarm feelings about the concept of monarchy. The survey found that 49% of Canadians had a negative reaction to the word "monarchy", compared to just 41% with a positive reaction.

Australia
In terms of consuming news about the Royals, 64 per cent of Australians are not at all interested

UK
For example, 65 per cent of us say that the British Royal family makes no difference to our views of the United Kingdom.

New Zealand
New Zealand looks to be drifting closer to becoming a republic, as a new poll reveals a majority of Kiwis want to ditch the Queen as their head of state in favour of a New Zealander.
The poll by campaign group NZ Republic shows about a third, or 34 percent of Kiwis, want to carry on with a British head of state. A substantial majority of 59 percent want to sever the country’s centuries-old ties with Britain
Forty-four percent want a directly elected New Zealand head of state and 15 percent want a leader elected by MPs.
Undecided voters remained unchanged on 7 percent over the last three polls.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 22, 2019, 5:45 pm

Ditch the British Monarchy now ...... and in about 200 or so years you too can have your very own "orange moron" in charge :-$

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 22, 2019, 6:03 pm

Statistics bloody statistics, really you can make them say anything to justify anything.
Personally I really do not care what people think

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 22, 2019, 6:28 pm

KP no problem
Just stop making broad statements such as They, I know , them and so on OR

" and most of those countries for whom HM is currently the Head like it that way as well."

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 22, 2019, 9:58 pm

Thanks for the update and rehash of the same old numbers. They all want to get shot of Liz & Co. Then the palace PR team huddles with the FO and off they go, suddenly jetting all over with their small tribe of mewling brats, chopping down trees, hugging koalas, learning haka's and making the rather parochial lives of the dominion dwellers and antipodean squatters suddenly much more interesting Then back home, the noisome 'vive la republique' sorts get invited for tea at the palace, gongs get dished out, everyone has a press clipping for the family yearbook and all is good in the world again.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 22, 2019, 10:08 pm

This SNP certai ly thinks so

https://www.express.co.uk/videos/610743 ... s-Whitford

She does have a point .. get rid of all the distant royal hangers on ..cousins etc ..n just retain the queen n imediate offspring ..

Would certainly save a few quid fir the tax payers doe

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 22, 2019, 11:07 pm

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra has parted company with it's patron The Duke of York which is a bit ironic as much of their music is from Operas which portray rape and sexual harassment as their main theme =;

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 22, 2019, 11:15 pm

Andy is gonna rapidly become personna non grata by all unsundry .. already been pulled from.all engagements by HRH in a hope to slip.off into.oblivian .. doubt the media here n the US will let that happen .. he may move to.Pattaya
n " blend in " seems a few unscrupulous types hiding out in fun city nowadays ..

Rumours Prince Philip is very ill .. now theres a guy .. stood the test ov time. Great sense of duty n humour ..hope he gets better soon .

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » November 23, 2019, 5:46 am

I'm not ungrateful to the Windsors. They have played an important part in a system that has worked very well but things change. I liked Corbyn's answer "needs improving". I thought Johnson's reply "beyond reproach" was pretty dim but his spur of the moment response might not have captured his more considered opinion.

If Prince Charles is as out of touch as Prince Andrew, I think the whole show will collapse fairly soon. I don't think he is and I suspect outside the UK Prince Charles is already in some important quarters regarded as informally the monarch (e.g. Queen Elizabeth understandably won't visit NZ again). Charles and the royal spin doctors will be difficult to dislodge.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » November 23, 2019, 6:34 am

These comments are very short-sighted. The youngest royalties are not likely to survive in the forthcoming Islamic England.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 23, 2019, 7:07 am

Doodoo wrote:
November 22, 2019, 6:28 pm
KP no problem
Just stop making broad statements such as They, I know , them and so on OR

" and most of those countries for whom HM is currently the Head like it that way as well."

I will continue to post as I see fit, when talking about the UK, I too am English ancestry dating back over 500 years. So I will speak as I please, I hope that is ok with you. Too much PC these days, speak the truth others may object that is their problem not mine !

Further more I do not tell others how to post or even write, I may not agree with what they write, and disagree in print, but I do not preach.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 23, 2019, 7:36 am

"Statistics bloody statistics, really you can make them say anything to justify anything."

" but I do not preach"
Really

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 23, 2019, 8:01 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 22, 2019, 10:08 pm

She does have a point .. get rid of all the distant royal hangers on ..cousins etc ..n just retain the queen n imediate offspring ..

Dm
DM
Just check who actually gets financial allowances from the Nation, who actually costs the state "a few quid" very few. Most of them do a great job in promoting the UK and most people in the UK and Commonwealth love the fact we have a royal identity. What would life be like if we only had a Corbyn, a Trump or a Clinton as the image of your Nation.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2019, 9:20 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 22, 2019, 10:08 pm

Dm
The "SNP certainly thinks"... you're 'aving a larf there DM. A tad disingenuous giving a boost to the Popular Front of the Liberation of the Gorbals, no? Philippa Whitford, like most of her acolytes, disnae ken onything aboot wut she's bletherin' aboot.

Unless you're talking about the results of being imprecise when wiping your bum, there are no 'distant hangers on'. The Privy Purse has a defined list of benefactors and second cousins to Auntie Mabel's black pig don't get a look in.

"Currently the Queen’s income comes from three sources: the Sovereign Grant from the government and two private income sources. One of these she receives as sovereign and is passed down from sovereign to sovereign (the Privy Purse), and the other is income from her personal investments."

The profits of the Crown Estate are public money and all go to the Treasury. This is then collected together with the income the Treasury gets from general taxation and other sources, into one pot: the “Consolidated Fund”.

"The Crown Estate brought in £330 million in 2017/18, this money goes to the government who then give the Queen a grant based on 25% of the Crown Estate’s income two years previously. But the Crown Estate isn’t the royal family’s private property. The Queen pays tax to government on her other private incomes."

https://fullfact.org/economy/royal-fami ... -benefits/

God Bless the Queen.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2019, 9:25 am

stattointhailand wrote:
November 22, 2019, 11:07 pm
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra has parted company with it's patron The Duke of York which is a bit ironic as much of their music is from Operas which portray rape and sexual harassment as their main theme =;
...for which true patrons of the arts are truly grateful.

I mean the bit about most opera's portraying rape and sexual harassment. Verdi's Aidaa is my fave, makes Game of Thrones look like the Beano.

What's yours?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2019, 9:31 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 22, 2019, 11:15 pm
Andy is gonna rapidly become personna non grata by all unsundry .. already been pulled from.all engagements by HRH in a hope to slip.off into.oblivian .. doubt the media here n the US will let that happen .. he may move to.Pattaya
n " blend in " seems a few unscrupulous types hiding out in fun city nowadays ..

Rumours Prince Philip is very ill .. now theres a guy .. stood the test ov time. Great sense of duty n humour ..hope he gets better soon .

Dm
Yes, sad to hear the forever unpolitically correct Chooky Embra isn't doing too well. My dad thought he was a proper gent and met him a couple of times while he was policing the Aboyne Games and some of the royals would pop down from Balmoral for an unofficial visit and that's good enough for me.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2019, 9:39 am

GT93 wrote:
November 23, 2019, 5:46 am
I'm not ungrateful to the Windsors. They have played an important part in a system that has worked very well but things change. I liked Corbyn's answer "needs improving". I thought Johnson's reply "beyond reproach" was pretty dim but his spur of the moment response might not have captured his more considered opinion.

If Prince Charles is as out of touch as Prince Andrew, I think the whole show will collapse fairly soon. I don't think he is and I suspect outside the UK Prince Charles is already in some important quarters regarded as informally the monarch (e.g. Queen Elizabeth understandably won't visit NZ again). Charles and the royal spin doctors will be difficult to dislodge.
Corbyn's the one that 'needs changing' for Gods sakes. That's just the old Trotskyist 'banish them!' hidden under the new classic single-breasted dinner jacket of political correctness. Matches the UK Labour Party's new, edgy perpetually lost in the wilderness look.

If you are seriously questioning "If Prince Charles is as out of touch as Prince Andrew"... then it's best you keep your own counsel lest you appear somewhat unknowledgeable on these matters.

Return to “World News”