Overpass/tunnel Udon Ringroad Nongkai Hwy

Udon Thani news, views and comments
RLTrader
udonmap.com

Re: Overpass/tunnel Udon Ringroad Nongkai Hwy

Post by RLTrader » November 4, 2019, 5:57 pm

oh, a real tunnel?
Hmm, be interesting during heavy rain, I would think?
Think I need to get glasses checked, for the few times near area, didn't see tunnel
Looks brilliant to me.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 4, 2019, 11:04 pm

"Think I need to get glasses checked, for the few times near area, didn't see tunnel"

Thats coz the sneeky buggers hid it under the ground :-"

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 19, 2019, 3:19 pm

The bridge/tunnel is scheduled to open on 24 Nov. Those who are instagram-conscious can walk through the tunnel on 23 Nov.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 19, 2019, 3:24 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
November 4, 2019, 11:04 pm
"Think I need to get glasses checked, for the few times near area, didn't see tunnel"

Thats coz the sneeky buggers hid it under the ground :-"
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 19, 2019, 4:08 pm

Word of warning .... when travelling from Udon towards NK be vary careful when you get to where the road opens up to 5 lanes and you can pull out and put the pedal to the metal ....... as is their want it seems to have become NORMAL practice for motorbikes to come to a complete stand (5 or 6 at a time) in the fast lane whilst they negotiate an illegal u turn beyond the tunnels cement wall ](*,) [-X [-X [-X

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 19, 2019, 7:03 pm

Dm in around Udon doing dels today n for the first time navigated via the new intersection in question..

MARVELOUS ..feet of engineering , i didnt see the tunnel tho as went over the flyover.

was it completed on time ? and to budget ?

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 19, 2019, 9:47 pm

In the interest of "saving face" I think you already know what will be given as an answer to that =;

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 19, 2019, 9:59 pm

parrot wrote:
November 19, 2019, 3:19 pm
The bridge/tunnel is scheduled to open on 24 Nov. Those who are instagram-conscious can walk through the tunnel on 23 Nov.
Any idea of what time it will be open for "walkabout" ?

I think avoiding the area may be a good idea as there will probably be at least "double" if not "treble" parking at both ends as the locals get their selfies done and posted on line =;

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 19, 2019, 10:33 pm

DM you obviously missed out on viewing the two heaps of scrap metal which for some reason best known to whoever threw them together is now covered in chicken wire and painted silver. :-&

Perhaps they are the new style police cells, and they will throw all motorcyclists in there who dont have crash helmets :shock:

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 20, 2019, 7:23 am

parrot wrote:
Seems that January next year would be a good time to visit, that allows for accidents deaths and all sorts of inconsiderate and plainly stupid driving to die down as it were to make the first visit fairly painless hopefully

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 20, 2019, 7:38 am

I circled the place the other day, and couldnt work out why a tunnel, as it is in the center of the road, so only outside lanes will get to use it. They still have traffic lights under the bridge which obviuosly stops and starts the traffic, so why the bridge.. maybe the tunnel is for left turning traffic, and the lights will be taken down..

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 20, 2019, 7:39 am

sorry ' right turning traffic '

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 20, 2019, 8:35 am

stattointhailand wrote:
November 19, 2019, 10:33 pm
DM you obviously missed out on viewing the two heaps of scrap metal which for some reason best known to whoever threw them together is now covered in chicken wire and painted silver. :-&

Perhaps they are the new style police cells, and they will throw all motorcyclists in there who dont have crash helmets :shock:
Its called modern art i believe Statts ... i can take it or leave it .. but do think a giant Parrot would look nice inside the said "cages"

dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 20, 2019, 8:57 am

the tunnel is for straight thru traffic as is the bridge just the right hand turns will be controlled by lights

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » November 20, 2019, 9:07 am

noosard wrote:
November 20, 2019, 8:57 am
the tunnel is for straight thru traffic as is the bridge just the right hand turns will be controlled by lights
and of course very little traffic going straight on . Most traffic comes around the ring road passed global house on to nong khai or down the nong khai road straight in to udon or left around the ring road to bangkok . All that was really need was a single flyover for the traffic coming passed global house to be able to turn right to nong khai without lights

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 20, 2019, 9:09 am

stattointhailand wrote:
November 19, 2019, 9:59 pm
parrot wrote:
Any idea of what time it will be open for "walkabout" ?

I think avoiding the area may be a good idea as there will probably be at least "double" if not "treble" parking at both ends as the locals get their selfies done and posted on line =;
I was wondering whether there might be an official opening. Is this it? Whilst I think I'll contain my excitement until the Monday school run and hope for a quicker, smooth and safe in and out, I'm not sure this walkabout is a good idea. Will 'they' allow intending walkers to park up cars/bikes in part of the tunnel? Any confusion to some that might cause as to whether the tunnel is in 100% operation, or not? As Statto suggests, to have vehicles attempting to park up outside the tunnel entrances or at the side of the road, with Saturday traffic still flowing in and out of town, seems a recipe for accidents.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 20, 2019, 9:33 am

the excitment, the thrill, the wonder of a road tunnel
no I will wait till i have to drive thru it

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 20, 2019, 10:21 am

parrot wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up, parrot.

This should be a huge improvement for traffic movement at that major intersection. Just as the tunnel in Pattaya has proved to be.

But that hasn't stopped the whinging farangs from piling in - seems our hosts can't do anything right. ;)

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 20, 2019, 11:03 am

Check out the facebook video (posted 4th Nov) at the 2:40 mark. Upgrade not finished and a stupid motorcyclist turns from a side street and rides up the wrong side of the road, in the middle. Signs of things to come?
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 20, 2019, 11:27 am

Someone traveling via that junction on average 4 times a day must wonder what the reasoning was for such a major rebuild was. Prior to the start of work it took between 7 - 10 mins from my house to the school or vv, and even if there are no hold ups whatsoever, it will still take 7 mins (same as before with a green light). On occasions it did take up to 15 mins (lights failed/breakdown approaching lights etc etc), but I'm sure there will be times in the future where something happens that will extend the journey time.
Over the last 2 years or 730 days (2920 journeys) it has taken (on ave) 15 - 20 minutes to make the trip, which means I have LOST an extra 457 hours sitting in my car, so to actually BENEFIT from the bridge/tunnel being there I will need to make 17520 trips through/over it just to get my lost time back BEFORE IT BECOMES A BENEFIT

Return to “Udon Thani News”