Villa market

General Udon Thani topics only!
Marcosteffano
udonmap.com
Posts: 845
Joined: April 16, 2016, 9:20 am

Re: Villa market

Post by Marcosteffano » November 8, 2019, 1:05 pm

Doodoo wrote:
November 7, 2019, 9:23 pm
No new store has opened other than Meats and More???
Anymore information would help
Or maybe the slow down is because there arent the people or the people left aint got cash to spend,or due to the exchange it isnt there to spend, loads of excuses other than another store opening
Cheese to meet you the old gourmet meats shop.havana bar at the bottom of day n night.i just picked up 7.5kg of assorted cheeses for under 2,000.he also sells plenty of frozen imported meats and locally produced products.well worth a visit.



User avatar
saint
udonmap.com
Posts: 3415
Joined: February 28, 2008, 5:31 pm
Location: the truth is out there . but dont dare tell it !!!!

Re: Villa market

Post by saint » November 9, 2019, 2:24 pm

Went to villa for some bits this lunchtime and it was fairly busy .

I counted 8 farang and about the same number of Thais all with goods in their baskets or trolleys .
So the knockers can knock , and leave the shoppers to shop . :-" :-"

RLTrader
udonmap.com
Posts: 1994
Joined: June 3, 2007, 8:49 am

Re: Villa market

Post by RLTrader » November 11, 2019, 5:09 pm

Stopped by Villa today, noonish, things were booming, 12 checkouts open to handle the crowd. :lol:

Did stop by and there were 2 checkouts open, had to wake the one I went to, she woke with a smile.
Beside seeing my wife in a few aisle and a few workers, think there was 1 other Thai there. Between me and wife spent the usual 1k+ and all fit into 1 bag.

Then onward to Makro, left 2k lighter, filled about 6 or 7 bags that we brought with us. Easier to transport from car to house. All & all a pleasant outing.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com
Posts: 845
Joined: April 16, 2016, 9:20 am

Re: Villa market

Post by Marcosteffano » November 11, 2019, 5:25 pm

saint wrote:
November 9, 2019, 2:24 pm
Went to villa for some bits this lunchtime and it was fairly busy .

I counted 8 farang and about the same number of Thais all with goods in their baskets or trolleys .
So the knockers can knock , and leave the shoppers to shop . :-" :-"
Is this some sort of new hobby,there was me thinking trainspotters were sad and lonely people but going around shops counting customers and what they got in their baskets takes the biscuit.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com
Posts: 845
Joined: April 16, 2016, 9:20 am

Re: Villa market

Post by Marcosteffano » November 11, 2019, 5:46 pm

tamada wrote:
November 8, 2019, 11:10 am
There will always be a few that hope that Thai businesses that they never use will fail. I can't see the logic in wishing for that beyond some sort of som nam nah feeling or possible validation of their own life failures?

Villa's mark up is undeniable but it's a few percent and not the 50% claimed earlier by the once-and-fornever shopper. Right now they have BOGOF specials on a lot of items including some of the overly expensive imported lines.

Like many here, I use it for the one-off or unique items they carry like Barr's Irn Bru, Tahuna Pinot Noir, Cathedral cheese and their burger buns. They used to have Chiang Mai Gourmet burgers which were better than their generic ones. Right now they seem to have a container load of those horrible Lady Pies to offload. The Max Pies they had before were very good, almost like a Scottish pie with the hard pastry shell and sunken top but unfortunately they're gone in lieu of Yorkies underwhelming line of meat and pastry products.
I think this must be all in your head tomato,not one person has mentioned in any way about this shop closing down,only one mentioning that the freeer were very low.theres just a bit of criticism about the sky high prices and all of a sudden those that choose to not shop there are failures in life.
At the end of the day it's just a shop and we are all free to say what we think of it and not have snide digs at other forum members.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 5976
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Villa market

Post by tamada » November 11, 2019, 10:01 pm

Marcosteffano wrote:
November 11, 2019, 5:46 pm
I think this must be all in your head tomato,not one person has mentioned in any way about this shop closing down,only one mentioning that the freeer were very low.theres just a bit of criticism about the sky high prices and all of a sudden those that choose to not shop there are failures in life.
At the end of the day it's just a shop and we are all free to say what we think of it and not have snide digs at other forum members.
Maybe there's something wrong with your browser otherwise you would not have missed the OP's opening sentence, "Does anybody else get the feeling the shop is closing down, ..."

Your browser issue is very bad when you can't see the words in your own post, "...its a sinking ship in my eyes."

OK, the OP has subsequently added that he's quite happy that it is still trading and like most others here, myself included, he's happy with the choices and the prices. You however are not but as you say, individuals can make individual choices.

For someone who claims that Villa doesn't have anything you need, by being the biggest single contributor to this thread so far, you sure have a lot to say about a business you say you never do business with.

Now, what's in your head?

Rhetorical question, nobody really cares.

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 4912
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Villa market

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 11, 2019, 10:23 pm

I dropped in villa last time i was in udon .. actually spur ov the moment as i was paying the office leccy bill at the PEA office next door ..
Went on the hunt for one particular item... they had it ..expensive but a mudt have .. i did notice a total.lack of other customers n a very sparce deli counter display ..TBH wont effect me if it closes or remains open ..

Btw the item was .... Hienz salad cream ..a must when missing bolied egg n Hsc butties .. simply not the same using mayo imo.

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

glalt
udonmap.com
Posts: 1970
Joined: January 14, 2007, 10:35 am
Location: Nong Hin, Loei

Re: Villa market

Post by glalt » November 12, 2019, 9:07 am

Some posters apparently miss the US political threads. They have no one to criticize or belittle so they transfer their hate to a harmless thread like this. LOL!

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 2471
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Villa market

Post by Doodoo » November 12, 2019, 9:18 am

Glat
What are you talking about? Sorry went right by me

glalt
udonmap.com
Posts: 1970
Joined: January 14, 2007, 10:35 am
Location: Nong Hin, Loei

Re: Villa market

Post by glalt » November 12, 2019, 10:33 am

Right by you? Why am I not surprised?

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com
Posts: 845
Joined: April 16, 2016, 9:20 am

Re: Villa market

Post by Marcosteffano » November 12, 2019, 10:41 am

tamada wrote:
November 11, 2019, 10:01 pm
Marcosteffano wrote:
November 11, 2019, 5:46 pm
I think this must be all in your head tomato,not one person has mentioned in any way about this shop closing down,only one mentioning that the freeer were very low.theres just a bit of criticism about the sky high prices and all of a sudden those that choose to not shop there are failures in life.
At the end of the day it's just a shop and we are all free to say what we think of it and not have snide digs at other forum members.
Maybe there's something wrong with your browser otherwise you would not have missed the OP's opening sentence, "Does anybody else get the feeling the shop is closing down, ..."

Your browser issue is very bad when you can't see the words in your own post, "...its a sinking ship in my eyes."

OK, the OP has subsequently added that he's quite happy that it is still trading and like most others here, myself included, he's happy with the choices and the prices. You however are not but as you say, individuals can make individual choices.

For someone who claims that Villa doesn't have anything you need, by being the biggest single contributor to this thread so far, you sure have a lot to say about a business you say you never do business with.

Now, what's in your head?

Rhetorical question, nobody really cares.
Asking if anyone has the feeling that villa might be closing down because of the empty freezers and lack of customers and me saying I think it's a sinking ship because it's a farang focused shop is in no way saying we hope the Thai business fails as we don't shop in there.anyway I'm not going to get into a silly bickering argument with some sad person who judges people to be failures because they chose not to shop in villa mart.

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 2471
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Villa market

Post by Doodoo » November 12, 2019, 10:56 am

Ask a simple question You get a simple answer

User avatar
joepai
udonmap.com
Posts: 596
Joined: February 25, 2012, 1:21 pm

Re: Villa market

Post by joepai » November 12, 2019, 1:18 pm

Instead of all this speculation, if only posters would get out a bit more and ask they will be told the ‘farang’ sales are small compared to the Laotians who shop and carry off mountains of goodies back home – and that is the reason Villa moved to larger premises from Landmark
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 5976
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Villa market

Post by tamada » November 12, 2019, 4:55 pm

One thing I have noticed with Villa over the past month or so is the diversity and value of their BOGOF specials. For example, the Old El Paso Taco Dinner kits at 249 baht are exorbitant in anyone's budget but getting 2 packs (total of 24 shells) for the same price makes for a good value, all you can eat party.

Armyvet
udonmap.com
Posts: 96
Joined: November 13, 2014, 10:59 am

Re: Villa market

Post by Armyvet » November 12, 2019, 5:03 pm

My wife and I were in there 2 days ago and talked to the Opns Mngr who we know from the Landmark days and the Deli woman. Both say the sales are slow in some areas and high enough in others that the store is not having a problem or cause to consider closing. Take it for what it is worth.

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9534
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: Villa market

Post by parrot » November 13, 2019, 2:39 pm

I sometimes feel guilty when I checkout at Villa with a few rolls of Lakrisal in my cart. But Villa is the only store that I know of that carries the product.......so, off to Villa I go.
And today, an extra special treat! Browsing the aisles, I heard this year's rendition of Jingle Bells.....same as last year's. The song is on a loop, so you get to hear it many times over a normal shopping trip. Oh, and signs posted out front for an authentic Christmas tree. Pretty much same price as last year.

Chuchi
udonmap.com
Posts: 472
Joined: April 17, 2016, 1:55 pm

Re: Villa market

Post by Chuchi » May 8, 2020, 8:04 am

After visiting 4 times in the last couple of weeks I’m struggling to purchase anything, no bird’s eye fish fingers,Richmond sausages ,Iceland eclairs,cathedral city and most importantly Greggs sausage rolls.The freezers look even more sparse than before . My last visit was a couple of days ago and will refrain from anymore for the time being.

Whistler
udonmap.com
Posts: 983
Joined: June 15, 2019, 8:24 pm
Location: Udon, West of Ciity
Contact:

Re: Villa market

Post by Whistler » May 8, 2020, 8:24 am

NO vegemite!!!!!
watching in horror

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 5976
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Villa market

Post by tamada » May 8, 2020, 8:25 am

You missed out on the Cathedral City cheese. There were maybe a dozen packs about 6 days ago. No longer 199 baht either.

But you're right, the last major restock was over a month ago and the freezers and shelves were pretty barren just before that happened.

I assume a whole bunch of imported stuff isn't getting on planes anymore. I read a month ago that air cargo services had hiked their charges by huge amounts as they address the global PPE knee jerk.

Chuchi
udonmap.com
Posts: 472
Joined: April 17, 2016, 1:55 pm

Re: Villa market

Post by Chuchi » May 8, 2020, 8:35 am

tamada wrote:
May 8, 2020, 8:25 am
You missed out on the Cathedral City cheese. There were maybe a dozen packs about 6 days ago. No longer 199 baht either.

But you're right, the last major restock was over a month ago and the freezers and shelves were pretty barren just before that happened.

I assume a whole bunch of imported stuff isn't getting on planes anymore. I read a month ago that air cargo services had hiked their charges by huge amounts as they address the global PPE knee jerk.

I do hope they replenish the stock tam maybe some kind soul on here can keep me posted. I noticed the have started stocking plant based meat substitute items of which I decided to try the quarter pounders ,it was absolutely dreadful.

Post Reply

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”