Overpass/tunnel Udon Ringroad Nongkai Hwy

Udon Thani news, views and comments
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Overpass/tunnel Udon Ringroad Nongkai Hwy

Post by jackspratt » April 25, 2019, 2:57 pm

Passing through Nong Han today on Hwy 22, I commented to Mrs General-Spratt that it seems to be taking ages for that intersection to be completed.

For what seems to be a relatively straight forward 4 way intersection to be upgraded, I reckon it has been close to 6 months, with no end in sight.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » April 25, 2019, 5:00 pm

This work will take at least another 18 months to complete, but looking good so far

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » October 30, 2019, 9:07 am

Can anyone explain to me how you would travel from Nong Khai to the Airport, once the underpass/overpass is operational. Coming from NK, there is new signage indicating left hand lane for KK and NLB. Will it still be a U-turn to the airport?

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » October 30, 2019, 9:16 am

Lets hope so , No stupid traffic lights

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 30, 2019, 9:20 am

It will be either a big roundabout or lights to do any turns
Should not be congested as sraight traffic over pass or tunnel

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » October 30, 2019, 9:36 am

Traffic Lights are already in place.
You will turn right at the intersection onto the ring road to go to the airport same as before.
There should not be much traffic as the main traffic will have gone into the underpass to go into town.
The traffic going onto the other side of the ring road to wards global house will use a filter lane joining up with the traffic coming from the Overpass.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 30, 2019, 11:54 am

Like the 'ghost' overpass at Big C Phosri @ ring road, I reckon the heaviest traffic flows will NOT be on the overpass or in the tunnel in/out of town but all stalled at current street level by traffic lights as right-turning NK-bound traffic time shares with right-turning airport/NBL bound traffic coming from NK. The only 'fast' lanes will be southbound from NK that will end up backing up at the Global lights, the NBL traffic headed for NK, the small amount of north bound ring road traffic headed into town and the smaller amount of traffic from down town headed to Tesco-Lotus and beyond.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 30, 2019, 12:19 pm

It should also clear the rat run short cut motorists who now fly up the Nong Samrong road from the ring road to get to the NK road.

Also they should be going along the over under pass entrance ways with a shovel and barrow to clear up the dirt and bricks that the lazy Thai motor scooter riders have set up to jump the new islands.
I can see a problem with the boy racers leaving the Nong Samrong traffic lights and heading along that nice stretch of clean wide concrete onto the overpass.
But from a person who uses that area extensively it will be good to see it completed and traffic flow back on track.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 30, 2019, 2:33 pm

Nong Samrong will still get a fair bit of extra traffic as they are obviously not putting the "u turn" back in outside Tesco so any farang using Old Tesco and wanting NK road area will still end up via NSR ...... non farang will no doubt exit via Tescos "entrance" drive 50 metres against the flow of traffic and use the West to East "U turn" the opposite way as many already do at present :evil:

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » October 30, 2019, 4:22 pm

noosard wrote:
October 30, 2019, 9:20 am
It will be either a big roundabout or lights to do any turns
Should not be congested as sraight traffic over pass or tunnel
The roundabout should therefore be "Farang" only, or it becomes the usual "MeFirstAbout".

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » October 30, 2019, 5:09 pm

I always thought the ring road at big c was the wrong way round ? Never thought to much until my wife`s son moved to Sakhon Nakhon and i have driven over it about 10 times in the last few months . Very little traffic on that flyover or road while there is very heavy traffic crossing underneath to and from bkk all having to stop at the lights ?
All that was wanted was a flyover to make a right turn

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 31, 2019, 9:11 am

stattointhailand wrote:
October 30, 2019, 2:33 pm
Nong Samrong will still get a fair bit of extra traffic as they are obviously not putting the "u turn" back in outside Tesco so any farang using Old Tesco and wanting NK road area will still end up via NSR ...... non farang will no doubt exit via Tescos "entrance" drive 50 metres against the flow of traffic and use the West to East "U turn" the opposite way as many already do at present :evil:
There are farang still shopping at Tesco???!!!

Pictures or it never happened.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 31, 2019, 10:29 am

Dont have much option tam, Big C, Big C Nadee and Tesco Nadee are all 20k plus round trips involving several OTT sets of traffic lights (had to wait 4 x 160 secs the other day to get through Global lights) .... stuff would have defrosted long before getting home

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 31, 2019, 10:55 am

stattointhailand wrote:
October 31, 2019, 10:29 am
Dont have much option tam, Big C, Big C Nadee and Tesco Nadee are all 20k plus round trips involving several OTT sets of traffic lights (had to wait 4 x 160 secs the other day to get through Global lights) .... stuff would have defrosted long before getting home
It is a challenge but ruling out the complete waste-of-space outlets in Nadee, there are certain times of day one avoids driving in and around Udon like either side of noon, between 16:30 and 18:30 Mon-Fri and ALL weekend. Schools are reopening right now so that afternoon slot can be even worse on certain roads where schools are disgorging. That leaves plenty time for a reasonably painless inner/cross-town drive to Big-C, Tesco-Lotus (if you insist),Tops and Villa where each venue has ample, on-site parking.

I find sometimes that the straight shot across town can work out way better than the east-side ring road (where I live) which will undeniably become much worse, especially NORTH of Global. Tip: turn right at those lights and shoot into Central Tops via Wearsai, Phon Pisai and Adulyadej.

Since the farang food offering at the old Tesco-Lotus are now literally off the shelf, why even bother? If it's local produce shopping, there are plenty Mini Big C and Tesco-Lotus Express branches closer to everyone's' homes, no?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 1, 2019, 7:37 am

I will withhold judgement on the layout until it is fully opened as the last time I went from NBL link to the Udon part I had to go a long way up the NK part, seeing the huge queue on the other-side, popping through Nong Samrong was a quicker option, now that is silly.

randerson79
udonmap.com

Post by randerson79 » November 1, 2019, 9:28 am

The traffic signals as of this morning are turned on. The traffic seems to be flowing quite nicely.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 1, 2019, 9:46 am

"Post by Khun Paul » November 1, 2019, 7:37 am

I will withhold judgement on the layout until it is fully opened as the last time I went from NBL link to the Udon part I had to go a long way up the NK part, seeing the huge queue on the other-side, popping through Nong Samrong was a quicker option, now that is silly."

That isnt silly KP that is you using your knowledge and doing the best thing to get where you want to go
As for you holding judgement I dont think the Highways Department will give a toot and change the layout just for you

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 1, 2019, 9:57 am

No not for one minute do I expect them to change a damn thing, I was making an observation as I really wanted to go to Tool Pro but the traffic chaos ended my desire and I went elsewhere. After the years here, it really does not matter what we say they do not use logic to design or for that matter implement sensible traffic plans , we all see the chaos caused by the overpass at big C where they white-lined the road to accommodate central verge contours, rather than adapt the Central verge to make the lanes straight as we all see the chaos by the drivers turning right or a U turn, just before the Railway Crossing on Phosri road , yet it carries on unabated despite many many people including Thais complaining .

WE maybe have the luxury of planning our routes and times to miss out on many of these problems. Hence I will withhold judgement on the New overpass and underpass until it is finished and I have tried them out . That is all I said .

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » November 1, 2019, 2:09 pm

Passed along Nong Khai road yesterday.All along the new stretch drilling out the newly laid concrete!
Also further along past the fly over towards town. Bad planning.What a waste of time and money!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 1, 2019, 2:36 pm

I think they forgot to wire up the street lights before laying the concrete ..... TIT

Had first case of a (new?) Thai traffic manouvre (note spell checker needs correcting) yesterday evening ..... car started to travel towards NK , did a "U turn" and headed back down towards Udon into oncoming traffic ](*,)

Return to “Udon Thani News”