Knives/Scissors Sharpened

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Knives/Scissors Sharpened

Post by parrot » October 5, 2019, 1:55 pm

We've been sharpening our kitchen knives in a small shop directly behind the jail......across the street. We met the owner and his wife 23 years ago and they continue to do a good business. Although most of their business are high end hair cutting equipment (electric and hand scissors), they also do a quality job on kitchen knives. We have a few Japanese blades that have followed us for over 35 years. A 20 baht sharpening brings it back to its original edge.
We made a mistake when we first arrived and allowed a man who was walking the neighborhood and sharpening knives. He had only a wetstone and stool. It took some doing to return it to its original edge.....the shop across from the jail can do that.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Knives/Scissors Sharpened

Post by jackspratt » October 10, 2019, 1:57 pm

parrot I have done a quick scan with Street View of Si Chomchuen (at the rear of the prison).

There is nothing I can see that jumps out as a knife sharpening place. Can you be a bit more precise with location please - or will it be apparent as I drive down the road?

And while I am in that neck of the woods, is this your noodle joint?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Muean ... 02.7868967

Thanks

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 10, 2019, 2:56 pm

Behind the jail, across the street, there's a 7-11. The knife guy is to the right of 7-11 as you're facing 7-11. Wonder of modern wonders, I just discovered he has a FB page! https://www.facebook.com/pg/%E0%B8%AA%E ... e_internal
Yes, that's my noodle shop. I've been going there for 23 years.....family is Vietnamese and make the soup the old-fashioned way. Beef or chicken.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » October 10, 2019, 6:15 pm

My wife is a hairdresser and she's been having all her tools of the trade sharpened there for years but didn't realise he did other sharpening as well, so this week took in a couple of pairs kitchen scissors, he did an excellent job , 50bht each, so next week we are taking in our hedge shears and several garden hatchets used for chopping trees, he's quoted 80bht each
but warned he may not get them finished same day .
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 10, 2019, 8:23 pm

can he sharpen and kerf hand saws too?? 50 baht for a pair of scissors?? Seems a bit steep!
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 10, 2019, 8:29 pm

If you're sharpening a pair of Zwilling scissors or other high quality, 50 baht is a bargain.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » October 10, 2019, 8:35 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
October 10, 2019, 8:23 pm
can he sharpen and kerf hand saws too?? 50 baht for a pair of scissors?? Seems a bit steep!
i was thinking how cheap that was, i was expecting to pay more after all scissors have two cutting edges.
DSCN3318.JPG
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 15, 2019, 4:49 pm

Took 3 Henckels knives in today and left them for about 2 hours.

He had a table full of work ready to be done (mainly electric hair clippers) so I was thankful for the relatively short turn around time.

Picked them up - TBH55/blade, and sharp enough to shave with. :D

ps managed to find the noodle shop as well. I wasn't quite as I imagined - really not much more than a hole in the wall.

But the soup was excellent, and complimented as such by 3 other (Thai) family members.

Thanks Jon

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 15, 2019, 5:25 pm

jackspratt wrote:
October 15, 2019, 4:49 pm
Took 3 Henckels knives in today and left them for about 2 hours.

He had a table full of work ready to be done (mainly electric hair clippers) so I was thankful for the relatively short turn around time.

Picked them up - TBH55/blade, and sharp enough to shave with. :D

ps managed to find the noodle shop as well. I wasn't quite as I imagined - really not much more than a hole in the wall.

But the soup was excellent, and complimented as such by 3 other (Thai) family members.

Thanks Jon
Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”