General sports news and discussions.
Lone Star
udonmap.com

Re: US Sports News

Post by Lone Star » October 9, 2019, 7:58 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
October 8, 2019, 6:22 pm
. . .
LSU has looked a bit suspect on defence, but their offence has been surprisingly good for the first time in a long time. If the Tigers can win, they should be a tough test for the Crimson Tide.
. . .
Yes, the first four games were a bit wobbly when it came to the defense. Lots of things were contributing to that -- including being on the field too long. The offense was scoring too fast, but that's a good problem to have. They've also got three starters on defense with injuries.

The fundamental problems were poor tackling, poor angles, no gap control, no contain on the edges and no push up front to affect the quarterback. Well, they had two weeks to get it right. An off-week after Vanderbilt allowed them to get all of that straightened out, and it showed vs Utah State. The visitors from Utah only had 159 total offensive yards and only 19 yards rushing. The Utah State QB is considered a highly ranked NFL prospect. Tigahs shut him down after the first quarter.

The Florida-LSU game is going to be a real slobber knocker under the lights in Death Valley. It'll be a good one.

AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 9, 2019, 8:41 am

Whenever I think of LSU, I remember the Chinese Bandits, the White Team and the Go team. In particular, I recall Halloween 1959 and Billy Cannon running the punt by Jake Gibbs of Ole Miss back for a touchdown. The Rebels were terrific that year but the Tigers were better that night. After the Cannon TD, a third-string quarterback led the Rebels downfield where they were stopped near the goalline with seconds to play. They met again in the Sugar Bowl that season with the Johnny Rebs winning, 21-0.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIHdlAg4Uic[/youtube]
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » October 9, 2019, 9:11 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
October 9, 2019, 8:41 am
Whenever I think of LSU, I remember the Chinese Bandits, the White Team and the Go team. In particular, I recall Halloween 1959 and Billy Cannon running the punt by Jake Gibbs of Ole Miss back for a touchdown. The Rebels were terrific that year but the Tigers were better that night. After the Cannon TD, a third-string quarterback led the Rebels downfield where they were stopped near the goalline with seconds to play. They met again in the Sugar Bowl that season with the Johnny Rebs winning, 21-0.

Yes, great history and tradition there. The band still plays the Chinese Bandits song on every defensive 3rd down.

I was fortunate to have met and become friends with Coach Dietzel in the early 2000s before he passed away, and I am good friends with Warren Rabb, the QB (#12) for LSU that Halloween Night. Great stories.

I hope the Tigahs can pull it out on Saturday night.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 9, 2019, 10:02 am

This just in...
g4.jpg
Rays take game 4. back to Houston on Thursday night CST for the decider.

"Verlander, pitching on short rest, was nothing close to himself in terms of command and stuff. Tommy Pham homered as part of a three-run first, and a Willy Adames homer in the fourth followed by a walk to Ji-Man Choi ended Verlander's night. He was replaced by Josh James, who had warmed up multiple times in the early innings.

Verlander lasted just 3 2/3 innings, and over that brief span he allowed seven hits and four earned runs. Along the way he struck out five and walked two, and the Rays worked him for 84 pitches."

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/astr ... -coverage/

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » October 10, 2019, 7:34 am

It was over almost before it started. Cardinals scored 10 runs in the first inning and went on to defeat the Braves 13 to 1.
They now move on to the National League Championship Series, facing the winner of today's Nationals vs Dodgers game.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 10, 2019, 11:50 am

The Cardinals will be facing Washington in the NL final. The Montreal Expos, I mean the Nationals, came back to knot the game at three, and Kendrick hit a grand slam in the tenth to defeat the hated Dodgers, 7-3.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » October 10, 2019, 11:55 am

What a great round of early morning coffee and breakfast while StL explodes for 10 runs in first inning -- a MLB playoff record. It was definitely worth the 3 a.m. wakeup!

StL will start the next playoff round at home vs the Nationals. StL was 5-2 vs Washington during the regular season.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 10, 2019, 12:02 pm

Lone Star wrote:
October 9, 2019, 9:11 am
I was fortunate to have met and become friends with Coach Dietzel in the early 2000s before he passed away, and I am good friends with Warren Rabb, the QB (#12) for LSU that Halloween Night. Great stories. I hope the Tigahs can pull it out on Saturday night.
Dietze and Rabb, those are some historic names in LSU football. You are fortunate to have befriended them. The Gators seem to be a one=dimensional team - great defence - and they have reverted to the uniforms they wore in the 1957 (?) Gator Bowl when they lost to Ole Miss, 7-3; however, I am pulling for an LSU victory too.

Oh, and there is another great reason to root for the Tigers,

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilv-qV_1_PM[/youtube]

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » October 10, 2019, 12:14 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
October 10, 2019, 12:02 pm
. . .

Of course! 555

I have a great friend and coaching colleague who married a Golden Girl. The funny thing is that he wasn't even aware of it until almost a year after they had started dating.

Florida concerned me a bit, but after looking at their stats and video from the Auburn game, I'm feeling better about it. When you take out the 88 yard run by Perine, the Gators had less than 50 yards rushing the entire game. Playing at home in front of over 100,000 Tigah fans in Death Valley will be an advantage.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » October 10, 2019, 12:52 pm

Throwback Thursday

Probably not another World Series game like this one. If not an all-time great game, it is at least one for StL Cardinal fans.

2011 World Series ... Game 6 ... Texas leads 3 games to 2 ... If Texas wins in StL they win their first World Series ... StL down by 2 runs going into the 9th inning ... and Here.We.Go.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 10, 2019, 6:56 pm

One of the great plays in World Series history is this,

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr4J3gLhL0k[/youtube]

The Tigers noted that Brock did not like to slide into home, or as Dizzy Dean would say, 'he should have slud into home'.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 10, 2019, 7:07 pm

And, in game Six of the World Series, your Detroit Tigers score ten runs in the third inning vs. the St. Louis Cardinals.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VqV9W6rOZk[/youtube]

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » October 10, 2019, 9:18 pm

World Series, you must be joking, You must have a very small world,. Meantime in the real WORLD << Naomi Osaka to choose Japan nationality for Tokyo Olympics >>

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » October 11, 2019, 4:32 am

Records set by StL in their 10-run first inning of Game 5 vs the Braves.

• Most runs in a first inning in postseason history

• Most runs in any inning in a winner-take-all game in postseason history

• Tied for most runs in any inning in postseason history

• First team with 0 HR in a 10-run postseason inning

Other fun facts:

• The Cardinals became the third team ever to have 9 different players score a run in a winner-take-all game (Pirates in 1960 World Series, Cardinals in 1934 World Series) -- and they did it in the first inning.

• St. Louis scored 10 runs in the first inning with just 5 hits. The last time any team (regular season or postseason) scored 10 runs with 5 or fewer hits in an inning was June 20, 2011, when Boston scored 10 against San Diego, also with just 5 hits.

• The Cardinals scored 10 runs in their first trip to the plate Wednesday. The Twins scored seven runs across their 27 trips to the plate in the ALDS against the Yankees.

• The half-inning, which effectively ended Atlanta's 2019 season, lasted 27 minutes.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 11, 2019, 10:51 am

The 107-win Astros' eliminated the Rays in Game 5 at Minute Maid Park to set up the dream AL penant joust with the 103-win Yankees, The Rays threw 9 pitchers at the Astro's to stop this one getting ugly. I think there's a stat in there about the Rays sending up the most pitchers in any AL playoff, maybe 31?

The Astros are the first AL team to go to 3 consecutive League Championship Series since the @Tigers (2011-13).

Gerrit Cole's 23 strikeouts this series are the most by any Astros pitcher in a single postseason series all-time.

The Astros were 4-3 against the Yankees during the regular season, outscoring them by a two-run margin but that old adage that 'the Astro's start games but the Yankees finish them' prevails. Houston's bullpen will be tested in Game 1 as they won't have Verlander until (possibly) Game 2 and Cole until Game 3. The Astro's batting line up has depth but the Yankees are coming off 4 days rest since sweeping the Twins and have one of the hardest throwing staffs in the 2019 regular season.

Either way, we're in for a good one starting in Houston on Saturday night.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 11, 2019, 11:09 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
October 10, 2019, 12:02 pm
. . .

I've seen more foot movement on Patpong gogo dancers.

(but that was also a very, very long time ago)

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 12, 2019, 5:13 am

tamada I've seen more foot movement on Patpong gogo dancers. (but that was also a very, very long time ago)[/quote wrote:
Obviously you are a 'Bama fan and an avid follower of the Million Dollar Band.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9uGa4tkfVQ[/youtube]

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 12, 2019, 11:08 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
October 12, 2019, 5:13 am
tamada I've seen more foot movement on Patpong gogo dancers. (but that was also a very, very long time ago)[/quote wrote:
Obviously you are a 'Bama fan and an avid follower of the Million Dollar Band.

Actually I'm a UL Ragin' Cajuns man myself.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 12, 2019, 9:32 pm

First blood for the Nationals

World Series choices:
1) Nats vs Astros (The pitching match-up of the decade)
2) Yankees vs Cards (The two most prized teams from each league haven't squared off in a WS since 1964)
3) Nats vs Yankees (Rebels vs the Empire)
4) Astros vs Cards (Meh, where's the remote?)

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 13, 2019, 3:11 am

Wow! South Caroline just upset Georgia in double overtime, 20-17. The Cocks will be celebrating tonight and the Dawgs will be hanging their heads in Athens.

Return to “World Sports”