Rolled Steel Roofing with PU Foam

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
RLTrader
udonmap.com

Re: Rolled Steel Roofing with PU Foam

Post by RLTrader » October 6, 2019, 5:40 pm

gprit wrote:
October 6, 2019, 3:42 pm
My wife has been advised that the steel roof will have 4mm bonded insulation, which he says is pretty standard. Is that enough? slight slope on roof...so some airflow also.
4MM = 0.15748031 of a inch :lol:
Is that enough?
for what?
Not sure how to post a photo.
go down to "Options" click on "Attachments"
click on "Add files" then find your photo

Seriously would stay away from this stuff, for it will separate, and unless you have it enclosed, then who knows what will happen to it, between birds and wind.

What I have looked at was a composite material, with nothing bonded to it, but still think it would produce less sound. My problem is, have not found anyone to replace yet, then again have not looked to hard either.

Not sure if posted here in this link, but neighbor put up something which was flat on inside, looked like about 2CM of insulation bonded to it. Looked like it would survive?

Whatever you do good luck.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » October 6, 2019, 6:35 pm

I think the overhang part is enclosed so no birds etc.....I just wonder whether it would be like a radiator..... Ah...I now see the Attachments tab(!).....I was posting from 'Quick reply'
Attachments
House_MD15_Outside.JPG

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 6, 2019, 7:13 pm

gprit wrote:
October 6, 2019, 6:35 pm
I think the overhang part is enclosed so no birds etc.....I just wonder whether it would be like a radiator..... Ah...I now see the Attachments tab(!).....I was posting from 'Quick reply'
Kinda looks like neighbor's roof line, so what he used just might work for you. PM me and I can get his # and send it, but only speaks thai.

OOPS, cousin of wife and she does not like and doesn't have number. Guess could send my # if interested and you can come by and have a look see. Family feuds never end I guess. :lol:

I should add that he also has a over hang and they put up some sort of material to enclose. You just might want to have a look see.
I just wonder whether it would be like a radiator
Well my thinking as he is building was that he was building a Drum, and with concrete walls a Hot Drum, but that just me. Radiator, good word for it, I think.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » October 6, 2019, 8:29 pm

It's complicated because we are not actually in Thailand....(I know...could be a recipe fro disaster....). On the subject of wall construction......what is the difference in cost between Normal Grey blocks (R value 1) and AAC grey blocks (R value 3.25)?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 6, 2019, 10:14 pm

gprit wrote:
October 6, 2019, 8:29 pm
It's complicated because we are not actually in Thailand....(I know...could be a recipe fro disaster....). On the subject of wall construction......what is the difference in cost between Normal Grey blocks (R value 1) and AAC grey blocks (R value 3.25)?
Grey blocks - 179bt per sqm (r value 1) assuming 4.5bt each
AAC 7.5cm - 280bt per sqm (r value 3.25) assuming 14.5bt each

This is the prices a poster on TeakDoor produced and included materials and labour: [note the date is 2012].

The labour cost has not been adjusted however the cost of AAC blocks have, I didn't adjust for any changes in cinder block prices.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 7, 2019, 7:20 am

we are planning to use this system when build our daughters home ,trailer style 4x10M , we looked at these ...
IMG_20191007_070053[1] (Copy).jpg
IMG_20191007_070033[1] (Copy).jpg
many shops selling them , one almost opposite dohome
IMG_20191007_071554[1] (Copy).jpg
and other one on the 22 to sakhon ,right side leaving town ...
the one on the road to airport also has this system ....(other brand)...as info ;)

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 7, 2019, 8:43 am

Well here is a picture of the building at its present state.
Has a roll steel roof, which as they were hauling it up, looked to have about 2cm of insulation bonded and flat on inside, cream color on top side. So it should keep the heat out, but will also keep the heat in.

Can remember living in a rented house years ago, either concrete or brick construction, tile roof, and as the sun set the inside got hotter as the walls released its heat, and this was back when it didn't get as hot as this pass year has been.
20191007_082317.jpg

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 7, 2019, 9:31 am

We added a room onto our house. That room has bonded insulation on the roofing and I have to say that during heavy rains, it helps eliminate a lot of noise. On the other hand, how often do we have torrential rains? So, the question is whether the extra cost is worth the benefit.

ADDED - As far as insulation value, insulating your ceiling is a lot bigger bang for the baht.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » October 7, 2019, 10:59 am

RLTrader wrote:
October 7, 2019, 8:43 am
Well here is a picture of the building at its present state.
Has a roll steel roof, which as they were hauling it up, looked to have about 2cm of insulation bonded and flat on inside, cream color on top side. So it should keep the heat out, but will also keep the heat in.

Can remember living in a rented house years ago, either concrete or brick construction, tile roof, and as the sun set the inside got hotter as the walls released its heat, and this was back when it didn't get as hot as this pass year has been.

20191007_082317.jpg
Same here Trader we had a great looking place just outside Vientiane about 5 years ago. Rented so not allowed to do anything, spent many a night out on the patio suffering the Mossies because the house was so hot for about 3/4 hours after sundown. Single brick walls and tiled roof with no insulation. That had a major influence on some of the decisions made for our build here in Udon.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 10, 2019, 12:44 pm

I stopped by the big PU Foam steel roofing company, about kilo 9 from Udon on the way to Nongwahsaw. The foam is impressively thick, compared with the more standard thin-foam that is glued to the steel. The foam is apparently sprayed onto the steel directly without the use of glue. The foam is 1" thick. Yes, it's considerably more expensive.....130Baht per meter for the thin-foam, 215Baht for the 1" PU foam. If you want to use bluescope steel, the prices are higher still.
All that said, if I were building a house today, knowing what I know about the weather and the heat, I would invest in the higher priced roof over a couple of slabs of granite, if money was a concern.
I'm guessing........any noise from rain with the PU Foam would not be noticeable inside the house. We have steel roofing with the thinner foam glued on and we've never found the sound of the rain to be a problem.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 10, 2019, 2:32 pm

parrot wrote:
October 10, 2019, 12:44 pm
I stopped by the big PU Foam steel roofing company, about kilo 9 from Udon on the way to Nongwahsaw. The foam is impressively thick, compared with the more standard thin-foam that is glued to the steel. The foam is apparently sprayed onto the steel directly without the use of glue.
from pictures I posted its fairly obvious, and just might be the problem. But as they say in Thailand, its up-to-u.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 10, 2019, 2:45 pm

RLTrader wrote:
October 10, 2019, 2:32 pm
parrot wrote:
October 10, 2019, 12:44 pm
I stopped by the big PU Foam steel roofing company, about kilo 9 from Udon on the way to Nongwahsaw. The foam is impressively thick, compared with the more standard thin-foam that is glued to the steel. The foam is apparently sprayed onto the steel directly without the use of glue.
from pictures I posted its fairly obvious, and just might be the problem. But as they say in Thailand, its up-to-u.
The roof on our house has glued on thin insulation, 10 years and no problems. On our guest bungalow, 5 years, same style insulation, one panel had problems. I chalked that up to the glue guy probably using more of the glue on the side than he did on that panel.
t.i.t.
That said, my wife and I have been very happy with the roof and effects of the insulation. A far cry better than the old cement panel roofing that we used when we built our home

Alanthebuilder
udonmap.com

Post by Alanthebuilder » July 11, 2020, 10:47 am

Be carfull this foam is highly flamable and chucks out black intoxicating smoke .
Just saying

Sent from my SM-A605G using Tapatalk

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 11, 2020, 4:56 pm

any noise from rain with the PU Foam would not be noticeable inside the house,
wrong guessing , we have just build a small home for our daughter and used the metal roof with 1 inch foam , the rain noise is less as with the standard plates , but it is still very noisy to me at least compared to our home with basic concrete tiles, luckily Thai people are used to a lot of noise , i would surely wake up when it start pouring heavy rain ;)

Return to “House & Land”