US Sports News

General sports news and discussions.
Lone Star
udonmap.com

US Sports News

Post by Lone Star » September 30, 2019, 7:32 am

My StL Cardinals clinched the National League Central Division and the Major League Baseball playoffs begin NOW.

In the American League, the Yankees, Rays, Twins, Astros and Athletics made the playoffs.

In the National League, the Braves, Cardinals, Dodgers, Brewers and Nationals made it.

Let the march to the World Series begin!

AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Re: US Sports News

Post by Lone Star » September 30, 2019, 7:34 am

One of the most watched games so far in the 2019 college football season was Ohio State University playing at the University of Nebraska. Excellent game.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 30, 2019, 7:39 am

Great game between two ranked opponents. LSU at the University of Texas.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 30, 2019, 8:20 am

Hockey season is upon us. Time to look back that Stanley Cup Finals from last season.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 30, 2019, 8:43 am

My StL Cardinals clinched the National League Central Division and the Major League Baseball playoffs begin NOW.
Born and raised in Missouri, the StL Cardinals have always been my favorite MLB team. Musial & Schoendienst were my first baseball heroes. I also liked the KC A's and Royals but if both KC and StL were playing at the same time I'd listen to the Cardinal's game on the radio. They had to make a late season surge to win their division this year and I hope they can maintain the momentum going into the playoffs.

Must admit though, I don't follow the Cardinals or Major League Baseball in general as closely now as I once did.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 30, 2019, 8:46 am

Shado wrote:
September 30, 2019, 8:43 am
Born and raised in Missouri, the StL Cardinals have always been my favorite MLB team. Musial & Schoendienst were my first baseball heroes. I also liked the KC A's and Royals but if both KC and StL were playing at the same time I'd listen to the Cardinal's game on the radio. They had to make a late season surge to win their division this year and I hope they can maintain the momentum going into the playoffs.

Must admit though, I don't follow the Cardinals or Major League Baseball in general as closely now as I once did.
I lived in StL for 4 years -- two were the 1967 and 1968 seasons when the Cardinals were in the World Series. I was hooked. Followed them every season since.

I loved living in StL -- just enough snow and cold weather and just enough summer. Four full seasons were great.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 30, 2019, 9:31 am

My Detroit Tigers, winners of the 1968 World Series over St. Louis completed another dismal season. Lolich won three complete games in 1968 with victories in Games 2, 5 and 7,

Mantle, Musial, Mays, and Teddy Ballgame were my favourite players as a kid,

I forgot about Ted Kluszewski.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 30, 2019, 9:44 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
September 30, 2019, 9:31 am
My Detroit Tigers, winners of the 1968 World Series over St. Louis completed another dismal season. Lolich won three complete games in 1968 with victories in Games 2, 5 and 7,

Mantle, Musial, Mays, and Teddy Ballgame were my favourite players as a kid,

I forgot about Ted Kluszewski.
That Detroit series still upsets my stomach. 555

Lou Brock and Bib Gibson have always been my favorite Cardinals.

42712466_10158188753951840_4766117756602941440_o.jpg

Having Roger Maris as a Cardinal at the end of his career was great. Al Hrabosky, Ozzie Smith, Yadier Molina and Willie McGee are also some of my favorites.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 30, 2019, 10:03 am

Clint Hurdle of the Pittsburgh Pirates becomes the fifth departing MLB manager. I'm not a Pirates fan, but Hurdle made them respectable in a small market city. Sad to see him get the axe.

San Francisco’s Bruce Bochy and Kansas City’s Ned Yost announced their retirements, San Diego’s Andy Green was fired on Sept. 21, and the Cubs’ Joe Maddon and Chicago announced Sunday he will not return.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 30, 2019, 1:58 pm

Going into Week 6, NCAA college football poll according to sportswriters.

There's going to be a big brawl in the SEC with 1, 3, 5, 7 and 10.

1 Alabama (SEC)
2. Clemson (ACC)
3. Georgia (SEC)
4. Ohio State (Big 10)
5. LSU (SEC)
6. Oklahoma (Big 12)
7. Auburn (SEC)
8. Wisconsin (Big 10)
9. Notre Dame (Independent)
10. Florida (SEC)
11. Texas (Big 12)
12. Penn State (Big 10)
13. Oregon (Pac 12)
14. Iowa (Big 10)
15. Washington (Pac 12)
16. Boise State
17. Utah
18. UCF
19. Michigan
20. Arizona State
21. Oklahoma State
22. Wake Forest
23. Virginia
24. SMU
25. Texas A&M

Others receiving votes: Michigan State 147, California 141, Memphis 71, Appalachian State 50, Army 44, Missouri 26, Baylor 19, Colorado 19, Minnesota 15, USC 7, Tulane 1, Kansas State 1

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 30, 2019, 3:01 pm

The Houston Astro's franchise best 107-55 regular season clinches them home field advantage throughout the post season.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/art ... 477483.php

Go Astro's!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 30, 2019, 4:48 pm

I miss the Colt 45s and their uniforms.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 30, 2019, 5:08 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
September 30, 2019, 4:48 pm
I miss the Colt 45s and their uniforms.
I have a team picture of them from 1964 and one of the Astros from 1966.

When I was a kid, I wrote to everyone asking for pictures and autographs. Boxes full of that stuff. They used to send it free of charge. Marketing wasn't what it is today.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 30, 2019, 5:28 pm

In 1976 I was living south of Houston (Bay City, Texas) and an Astros vs Pirates game in the Astrodome was canceled due to rain. Actually, it rained so hard that the streets flooded and people couldn't get to the ballpark so the game was called. I think that was the only time a game was canceled due to weather in the history of the Astrodome. I always enjoyed watching games there, very comfortable.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 30, 2019, 5:32 pm

Shado wrote:
September 30, 2019, 5:28 pm
. . . Astrodome. I always enjoyed watching games there, very comfortable.
I liked that place too. I think I saw two or three games there. Jimmy Wynn "The Toy Cannon" was one of the stars at that time.

Because of the time I lived in StL, I saw many more stars and Hall of Famers play there (home team and visitors). Can't steal memories.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 30, 2019, 6:33 pm

I had an Aunt living in Detroit, and spent one summer with her. She took me to doubleheaders at Tiger Stadium in which Charlie 'Sunday' Maxwell would always hit a home run. Also, she bought me a Detroit uniform, and I have been a Tiger fan ever since.

Toronto did not get a major league team for another 23 years. But, we had a team in the International League, the Toronto Maple Leafs, which is about 25 years older than the hockey team of the same name. We would skip school on opening day to go down and watch the game at Maple Leaf Stadium (it was torn down to put up a parking lot as Joni Mitchell sang in 'Yellow Taxi'. "They tore down paradise to put up a parking lot"). The Havana Cuba Sugar Kings would visit early in the season and start a fire in the dugout to keep warm. They were an almost all-black team. The Richmond Virginians, on the other hand, were an all-white team.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 30, 2019, 7:40 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
September 30, 2019, 6:33 pm
I had an Aunt living in Detroit, and spent one summer with her. She took me to doubleheaders at Tiger Stadium in which Charlie 'Sunday' Maxwell would always hit a home run. Also, she bought me a Detroit uniform, and I have been a Tiger fan ever since.

Toronto did not get a major league team for another 23 years. But, we had a team in the International League, the Toronto Maple Leafs, which is about 25 years older than the hockey team of the same name. We would skip school on opening day to go down and watch the game at Maple Leaf Stadium (it was torn down to put up a parking lot as Joni Mitchell sang in 'Yellow Taxi'. "They tore down paradise to put up a parking lot"). The Havana Cuba Sugar Kings would visit early in the season and start a fire in the dugout to keep warm. They were an almost all-black team. The Richmond Virginians, on the other hand, were an all-white team.
That's a great story, LYM.

I never realized that Toronto had a team in the International League so long ago.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 30, 2019, 10:12 pm

The oldest professional sports franchise in North America is the Toronto Argonauts. The Hamilton Tigers were formed a year earlier but in 1950 they merged with the Hamilton Wildcats to become the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Both teams play in the Canadian Football League. The Toronto Maple Leaf baseball team began in 1897, and the Toronto Maple Leaf hockey team began in 1927.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » October 1, 2019, 5:53 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
September 30, 2019, 10:12 pm
The oldest professional sports franchise in North America is the Toronto Argonauts. The Hamilton Tigers were formed a year earlier but in 1950 they merged with the Hamilton Wildcats to become the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Both teams play in the Canadian Football League. The Toronto Maple Leaf baseball team began in 1897, and the Toronto Maple Leaf hockey team began in 1927.
I catch a CFL game now and then. I have had a few players I coached in Louisiana go and play there. Never got hooked watching it though.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 1, 2019, 10:03 am

Love the "Bobby Charlton" hairstyle :-&

https://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/49868938

Return to “World Sports”